Derivative problem -- Chain rule

In summary: Ok, so in summary, the conversation discusses the use of the chain rule to find the derivative of a composite function, and the notation used in this process. One person argues that the notation ##\frac{d}{dx}\left( \frac{df}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}\right)## doesn't make sense, while another suggests using a difference quotient. However, it is determined that the expression is not a function of x and therefore cannot be differentiated with respect to x.
LagrangeEuler

Homework Statement

Derivative question
f=f(x) and x=x(t)
then in one book I find
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\frac{df}{dt}=\frac{d}{dx}(\frac{df}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt})[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{dx}{dt} \frac{d^2 f}{dx^2} [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure why this is correct? [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex] can depend of [itex]f[/itex] for example. Right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The chain rule is ##\frac{df}{dt}=\frac{df}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}##. I prefer the notation ##(f\circ x)'(t)=f'(x(t))x'(t)##. The notation ##\frac{d}{dx}\frac{df}{dt}## doesn't make sense to me. ##\frac{df}{dt}## should mean ##(f\circ x)'(t)##. Since there's no function that takes x to ##(f\circ x)'(t)##, it makes no sense to have ##\frac{d}{dx}## act on ##\frac{df}{dt}##.

Where did you see that claim? What book and page number? If possible, your best option is to link directly to the page at google books.

In physics for example you often have trajectory and you want to find velocity. For example [tex]y(x)=x^2[/tex] and you want to find [tex]\upsilon_y[/tex]. You know that [tex]\upsilon_x=t[/tex]
[tex]\upsilon_y=\frac{dy}{dt}=\frac{dy}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}=[/tex]
[tex]=\upsilon_x \frac{dy}{dx}=2xt[/tex].
So calculations are obtain by multiplication with [tex]\frac{dx}{dx}[/tex].

I guess your point must be that ##\frac{d}{dx}\frac{dy}{dt}## should make sense in your example, since ##\frac{dy}{dt}=2xt##. This equation is really saying that ##(y\circ x)'(t)=2x(t)t##. I wouldn't say that it makes sense to apply ##\frac{d}{dx}## to that right-hand side.

I need to think a little bit more. Unfortunately I have to leave the computer for about an hour right now. It would still help if you could post that book refereence.

Last edited:
LagrangeEuler said:
In physics for example you often have trajectory and you want to find velocity. For example [tex]y(x)=x^2[/tex] and you want to find [tex]\upsilon_y[/tex]. You know that [tex]\upsilon_x=t[/tex]
[tex]\upsilon_y=\frac{dy}{dt}=\frac{dy}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}=[/tex]
[tex]=\upsilon_x \frac{dy}{dx}=2xt[/tex].
So calculations are obtain by multiplication with [tex]\frac{dx}{dx}[/tex].

No. You did not use ##dx/dx## anywhere in the above calculation, but you did use ##dy/dx## and ##dx/dt##.

[tex]\upsilon_y=\frac{dy}{dt}=\frac{dy}{dt}\frac{dx}{dx}=\frac{dy}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

LagrangeEuler said:
[tex]\upsilon_y=\frac{dy}{dt}=\frac{dy}{dt}\frac{dx}{dx}=\frac{dy}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]
That thing in the middle is not an intermediate step that you can use to prove that the thing on the left is equal to the thing on the right. There is a way to make sense of dx,dy,dt, but if you use it, the two dx's on the right-hand side aren't the same, and the dy on the left isn't the same as the dy on the right.

Try applying the product rule to: $$\frac{d}{dx}\left( \frac{df}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}\right) $$

nylonsmile said:
Try applying the product rule to: $$\frac{d}{dx}\left( \frac{df}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}\right) $$
The notation ##\frac{d}{dx}(\text{something})## means "the value at x of the derivative of the function that takes x to (something)". But "the function that takes x to ##(f\circ x)'(t)x'(t)##" is ill defined.

Edit: I should have said ##f'(x(t))x'(t)## or ##(f\circ x)'(t)##, not ##(f\circ x)'(t)x'(t)##.

Last edited:
Fredrik said:
The notation ##\frac{d}{dx}(\text{something})## means "the value at x of the derivative of the function that takes x to (something)". But "the function that takes x to ##(f\circ x)'(t)x'(t)##" is ill defined.
Hmm yeah... But I feel like you could use a difference quotient to find ##\frac{d}{dx}\left( \frac{df}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}\right) ## but I could be wrong. If I had the functions ##x(t)## and ##f(x)## it seems like I could make a computer work out the required function. Do something like:
  1. At ##x##, find ##\frac{f(x+\delta x) - f(x)}{\delta x}##
  2. At ##x##, find ##\frac{x(t+\delta t) - x(t)}{\delta t}##
  3. Multiply these two numbers together.
Is that not the required function? Is the problem that we don't know what time to use?

I am confused.

What is wrong with doing this?: $$\frac{d}{dx}\left( \frac{df}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}\right) = \frac{dx}{dt}\frac{d^2f}{dx^2} + \frac{df}{dx}\frac{d^2x}{dxdt}$$

nylonsmile said:
What is wrong with doing this?: $$\frac{d}{dx}\left( \frac{df}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}\right) = \frac{dx}{dt}\frac{d^2f}{dx^2} + \frac{df}{dx}\frac{d^2x}{dxdt}$$
The left-hand side doesn't make sense.

nylonsmile said:
Hmm yeah... But I feel like you could use a difference quotient to find ##\frac{d}{dx}\left( \frac{df}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}\right) ## but I could be wrong. If I had the functions ##x(t)## and ##f(x)## it seems like I could make a computer work out the required function. Do something like:
  1. At ##x##, find ##\frac{f(x+\delta x) - f(x)}{\delta x}##
  2. At ##x##, find ##\frac{x(t+\delta t) - x(t)}{\delta t}##
  3. Multiply these two numbers together.
Is that not the required function? Is the problem that we don't know what time to use?
The problem is that the number obtained in 3 (if we take the appropriate limits in 1 and 2), is completely determined by the value of t, not by the value of x. The only x that appears in that expression is a function, not a number.

Fredrik said:
The left-hand side doesn't make sense.The problem is that the number obtained in 3 (if we take the appropriate limits in 1 and 2), is completely determined by the value of t, not by the value of x. The only x that appears in that expression is a function, not a number.
Yeah I understand the problem now. Could we just imagine the whole thing is a function of t?

nylonsmile said:
Yeah I understand the problem now. Could we just imagine the whole thing is a function of t?
Yes, ##(f\circ x)'## is a function, and ##(f\circ x)'(t)## is a function of t (i.e. its value is determined by the value of t).

Related to Derivative problem -- Chain rule

1. What is the chain rule in calculus?

The chain rule is a rule in calculus that allows us to find the derivative of a composite function, which is a function made up of two or more functions. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

2. How do you apply the chain rule?

To apply the chain rule, you first need to identify the outer function and the inner function in the composite function. Then, take the derivative of the outer function and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function. This will give you the derivative of the composite function.

3. Can you give an example of a problem that requires the chain rule?

Sure, let's say we have the function f(x) = (3x^2 + 2)^5. The outer function is the power function (x^5) and the inner function is the polynomial (3x^2 + 2). To find the derivative, we need to take the derivative of the outer function (5x^4) and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function (6x). Therefore, the derivative of f(x) is 5(3x^2 + 2)^4 * 6x = 30x(3x^2 + 2)^4.

4. What are some common mistakes when using the chain rule?

One common mistake is forgetting to take the derivative of the inner function. Another mistake is mixing up the order of the derivative and multiplying the derivative of the outer function by the inner function instead of the derivative of the inner function.

5. Is the chain rule only applicable to one-variable functions?

No, the chain rule can also be applied to multi-variable functions. In this case, we use partial derivatives to find the derivative of the composite function.