Derivative of sin(x)/(1+x^2) using Chain Rule | Simple Homework Example

In summary: Just remember to use the chain rule when taking the derivative of the inside function, in this case u = x/(1+x^2). Keep up the good work!
parents

Homework Statement

Use chain rule to find the derivative of f(x)= sin(x)/(1+x^2)

Homework Equations

Chain Rule (f(g(x)))'*g'(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

y'(x)= cos (x)/(1+x^2)* (1-x^2)/((1+x^2)^2)

I just want to make sure I am doing it correctly and this would be acceptable as a final answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
parents said:

Homework Statement

Use chain rule to find the derivative of f(x)= sin(x)/(1+x^2)

Homework Equations

Chain Rule (f(g(x)))'*g'(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

y'(x)= cos (x)/(1+x^2)* (1-x^2)/((1+x^2)^2)

I just want to make sure I am doing it correctly and this would be acceptable as a final answer.
Hello parents. Welcome to PF !

Is the function [itex]\ \displaystyle f(x)=\frac{\sin(x)}{1+x^2} \,,[/itex]

or is it [itex]\ \displaystyle f(x)=\sin\left(\frac{x}{1+x^2}\right) \ ?[/itex]

SammyS said:
Hello parents. Welcome to PF !

Is the function [itex]\ \displaystyle f(x)=\frac{\sin(x)}{1+x^2} \,,[/itex]

or is it [itex]\ \displaystyle f(x)=\sin\left(\frac{x}{1+x^2}\right) \ ?[/itex]

Sorry! I see how that can be confusing. It's [itex]\ \displaystyle f(x)=\sin\left(\frac{x}{1+x^2}\right) [/itex]

I am working on trying to put in equations correctly

Make the equation f(u)=sin(u). Then take the derivative of sin(u) then multiply by the derivative of u.

So:
f'(u)=sin(u)'u'

Last edited:
Your answer looks good to me.

Related to Derivative of sin(x)/(1+x^2) using Chain Rule | Simple Homework Example

What is the Simple Chain Rule?

The Simple Chain Rule is a mathematical tool used to calculate the derivative of a composite function, which is a function that is made up of multiple functions. It allows us to break down a complex function into simpler parts and determine the rate of change of the output with respect to the input.

How do you use the Simple Chain Rule?

To use the Simple Chain Rule, first identify the inner function and the outer function of the composite function. Then, take the derivative of the outer function and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function. This will give you the derivative of the composite function.

What are the applications of the Simple Chain Rule?

The Simple Chain Rule is commonly used in calculus and physics to solve problems involving rates of change, such as velocity and acceleration. It is also used in economics and finance to analyze the impact of different variables on a larger system.

What are some common mistakes when using the Simple Chain Rule?

One common mistake when using the Simple Chain Rule is forgetting to multiply the derivative of the outer function by the derivative of the inner function. It is also important to properly identify the inner and outer functions and use the chain rule formula correctly.

Can the Simple Chain Rule be used for any type of composite function?

Yes, the Simple Chain Rule can be applied to any type of composite function, including polynomial, trigonometric, exponential, and logarithmic functions. It is a versatile tool that can be used to find the derivative of any composite function.