Derivation of Solution to nonlinear 2nd Order ODE

In summary: Can you help me out a bit more?In summary, you need to find a book on intro to integral equations and then find a way to convert a differential equation into an equivalent Volterra integral equation.
X89codered89X
I need to derive the solution for the differential equation analytically:

y'' + g(t,y(t)) = 0
y'(0) = z_o
y(0) = y_o

I know the solution is:

y(t) = y_o + z_ot - single integral from 0 to t of (t-s)g(s,y(s))ds

I believe I need to assume something about the solution being a function of e^at somehow due to no damping, but I'm not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
X89codered89X said:

y'' + g(t,y(t)) = 0
y'(0) = z_o
y(0) = y_o

I know the solution is:

I believe I need to assume something about the solution being a function of e^at somehow due to no damping, but I'm not sure.
What you give is NOT a solution because it involves the unknown function, y, in the integral. It is, rather, an integral equation equivalent to the given differential equation.

And to add to what Halls said, there is no hope of solving your equation analytically in the general case. With some specific functions g it is possible.

Well, Halls yes. I suppose I'm not supposed to find a specific solution to the differential equation. But i do need to derive that equivalent integral equation. Can you help?

X89codered89X said:

y'' + g(t,y(t)) = 0
y'(0) = z_o
y(0) = y_o

I know the solution is:

You don't need to assume that. But you do need to know how to convert a differential equation to an equivalent Volterra integral equation. Find a book on intro to integral equations. First note the transformational formula (for derivation and n'th case, see integral equation text):

[tex]\int_0^t \int_0^t f(t)dtdt=\int_0^t(t-s)f(s)ds[/tex]

Now let:

[tex]y''=-f(t,y)[/tex]

and integrate both sides from 0 to t:

[tex]\int_0^t y'' dt=-\int_0^t f(t,y)dt[/tex]

[tex]y'(t)-z0=-\int_0^t f(t,y)dt[/tex]

Now integrate again and use the transformational expression to arive at the Volterra integral equation.

Last edited:
I just got the homework back. I used to volterra transformation but I was basically supposed to derive the transformation myself without just using it, which is pretty much what I expected. I had the prof explain to me how fundamentally it was possible to change a double integration into a single integration. He drew on the board on how to do it, change of variables using basically the technique I also found outlined here on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_integration_(calculus)#Relation_to_integration_by_parts

Even from reading this section, for some reason I'm still struggling a ton to get it.

Related to Derivation of Solution to nonlinear 2nd Order ODE

1. What is a nonlinear 2nd order ODE?

A nonlinear 2nd order ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a mathematical equation that involves the second derivative of a function, as well as non-linear terms. This means that the function's rate of change is not directly proportional to the function itself, making it more complex to solve compared to linear ODEs.

2. Why is it important to derive a solution to a nonlinear 2nd order ODE?

Deriving a solution to a nonlinear 2nd order ODE is important because it helps us understand and analyze real-world phenomena that cannot be described by simple linear relationships. Many physical, biological, and chemical systems can be modeled using nonlinear 2nd order ODEs, making it crucial for scientists to be able to find a solution in order to make accurate predictions and understand the behavior of these systems.

3. What are the steps involved in deriving a solution to a nonlinear 2nd order ODE?

The steps involved in deriving a solution to a nonlinear 2nd order ODE include identifying the type of equation (e.g. separable, exact, or Bernoulli), reducing the equation to a simpler form, solving for the dependent variable using integration, and applying initial or boundary conditions to find specific solutions.

4. Are there any analytical methods for solving nonlinear 2nd order ODEs?

Yes, there are several analytical methods for solving nonlinear 2nd order ODEs, such as the power series method, the substitution method, and the Frobenius method. However, these methods may not always yield a closed-form solution and may require numerical or approximate techniques for solving.

5. Can computer software be used to solve nonlinear 2nd order ODEs?

Yes, computer software can be used to solve nonlinear 2nd order ODEs. There are various mathematical software packages, such as MATLAB and Wolfram Mathematica, that have built-in functions for solving ODEs. These software can also handle more complex and higher order equations, making it easier and more efficient for scientists to find solutions to nonlinear ODEs.