Derivation of Euler-Lagrange equation?

In summary, the Euler-Lagrange equation is a fundamental equation in classical mechanics that describes the dynamics of a system subject to a variational principle. It is derived from the principle of least action, which states that the true path of a system is the one that minimizes the action integral. The equation relates the time derivatives of the system's coordinates to the partial derivatives of its Lagrangian function. It is used to determine the equations of motion for a wide range of physical systems, making it a crucial tool in the study of mechanics.
mizzcriss

Homework Statement

Problem 1:

Derive the Euler-Lagrange equation for the function ##z=z(x,y)## that minimizes the functional

$$J(z)=\int \int _\Omega F(x,y,z,z_x,z_y)dxdy$$

Problem 2:

Derive the Euler-Lagrange equation for the function ##y=y(x)## that minimizes the functional

$$J(y)=\int_{a}^{b}F(x,y,y',y'')dx$$

Homework Equations

I know the Euler-Lagrange equation for the functional ##J=\int_{a}^{b}F(x,y,y')dx## is ##\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}-\frac{d}{dx}(\frac{\partial f}{\partial y'})##

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found many resources for the derivation of the Euler-Lagrange for ##J=\int_{a}^{b}F(x,y,y')dx## but I don't know how to apply them in order to derive the Euler-Lagrange for my two problems. When I tried to derive it for Problem 2, I couldn't figure out what to do with the ##y''## term.

I'm not asking anyone to give me the complete derivations because I know that would be insanely time consuming to type out :smile: but I don't even know where to begin! This is for a Numerical Methods of ODE's class by the way. I have a final on Tuesday and I know something like this will be on it!

Physics news on Phys.org
Derive, derive, derive. Do you have a textbook ? The multimensional case is normally covered there, since it's really different than the 1D one. For the second, you should use the easiest proof for one differential (and one variable) and adjust to take into account the appearance of the 2nd derivative.

Weinstock's 1974 Dover published < Calculus of Variations with Applications to Physics & Engineering > is a reccomendable text.

Last edited:
To start, thanks for your help! :-)

The textbook used for the class doesn't cover calculus of variation, my professor covered it separately and only derived the simple case. I have tried to apply the simple case directly to my second problem but I don't know what to do with the ##y'## and ##y''## integrals once I've integrated them by parts. I would totally have ordered that book if I had like another week before my final but there's no way I could get it in time for my final :-D

Do you know of any sites that would have anything similar to what I'm trying to do?

Related to Derivation of Euler-Lagrange equation?

1. What is the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is a mathematical expression that is used to find the stationary points of a functional. It is derived from the calculus of variations and is used in many areas of physics and engineering.

2. What is the significance of the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is significant because it allows for the optimization of a functional. This means that it can be used to find the path of least action or the minimum energy path in a physical system.

3. How is the Euler-Lagrange equation derived?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is derived by applying the fundamental lemma of calculus of variations to a functional. This involves taking the derivative of the functional with respect to the variable and setting it equal to zero.

4. Can the Euler-Lagrange equation be applied to all physical systems?

Yes, the Euler-Lagrange equation can be applied to all physical systems as long as they can be described by a functional. This includes systems in classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and field theory.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation has many real-world applications, including in mechanics, optics, and thermodynamics. It is used to find the equations of motion for objects, the paths of light rays, and the equilibrium states of thermodynamic systems.