Depletion of an element on dust

In summary, the conversation is about a question on dust grains and depletion levels of Silicon and Carbon. The question involves finding the ratio of atoms of Si to C in dust grains based on their depletion levels and cosmic abundances. The answer is not needed for the exam, which is for a third year university astrophysics class.
Narges
Hey there
Could anybody answer the following question on dust grains and depletion of Silicon and Carbon on dust:

If D(Si)=-3, D(C)=-0.5, and the logarithmic cosmic abundances of Silicon and carbon relative to H as 12 are 7.5 and 8.5 respectively, what is the ratio of the number of atoms of Si to C in dust grains?

I have an exam on Friday and I'm kind of stuck.
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose by D(Si) and D(C) you mean the depletion levels? In that case, the fraction of Si in the gas phase is 10^-3. Now, figure out what fraction must be in the dust phase.

Should have mentioned that you need the cosmic abundances to figure out the number of atoms in dust phase after you get the fraction. Just curious, what class is this for?

Depletion

Hey there

This is for third year university astrophysics.
I found out what the aswer is from my lecturer. But nothing about dust came up in the exam :(
Nevermind
thanks for your reply

Related to Depletion of an element on dust

1. What is "depletion of an element on dust"?

"Depletion of an element on dust" refers to the process of a specific element becoming scarce or decreasing in quantity on the surface of dust particles.

2. How does an element become depleted on dust?

Elements can become depleted on dust through various processes such as weathering, erosion, and chemical reactions with other substances.

3. What are the consequences of element depletion on dust?

The consequences of element depletion on dust can range from changes in the composition of dust particles to potential environmental and health impacts.

4. Which elements are most commonly depleted on dust?

The elements most commonly depleted on dust are those that are more reactive and easily undergo chemical changes, such as iron, calcium, and magnesium.

5. Can element depletion on dust be reversed?

In some cases, element depletion on dust can be reversed through natural processes or human intervention. However, it largely depends on the specific element and the extent of depletion.