Finding total distance on a position vs time graph

In summary: B to C would be -> (10 x 2)/2 = 10mThis makes sense, as B is the position after A.C to D would be 0This makes no sense. If C is 0, then B must be 10, which it isn't.D to E would be - > (0.5 x -15)/2 = -3.75m, but it's distance so it's 3.75mThis makes sense, as -3.75 is the distance from D to E after subtracting (-15).E to F would be 0Again, this makes sense as 0 is the position before F.F to G would be -> (15 x 1)/2 =7.5m
physicsnerd26
I feel terrible for even having to ask this. I'm doing A2 at the moment, and we've gone through these sorts of lessons ever since my early AS days. I'm trying to review my notes cos exams are coming soon and I did some questions, and I'm apparently doing them wrong with what the answers are showing me at the back of the book.

Can anybody explain it to me? I'm talking about the kind of graph that goes from negative to positive.
Here's an example of a graph I'm talking about I found on the internet:
f71554f3-d21e-4a7d-986f-ea89e5208993.gif

What I do is technically
A to B would be -> 10 x 2 = 20m
B to C would be -> (10 x 2)/2 = 10m
C to D would be 0
D to E would be - > (0.5 x -15)/2 = -3.75m, but it's distance so it's 3.75m
E to F would be 0
F to G would be -> (15 x 1)/2 =7.5m
G to H would be -> (2 x 15)/2 = 15m

so overall, I just add them all up so, 20+10+3.75+7.5+15 = 56.25m

Have I been doing it completely wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I moved the thread to our homework section.
physicsnerd26 said:
If you spend two seconds standing on a mark on the floor that says "10 meters", which distance did you cover during those two seconds?
If you spend one second running from a mark "-16 meter" to a mark "0" 16 meters away, what is the distance you covered?

It is a position versus time graph, not a speed versus time graph.

mfb said:
I moved the thread to our homework section.

Sorry about that. And thanks.

If you spend two seconds standing on a mark on the floor that says "10 meters", which distance did you cover during those two seconds?

So I should do position/time instead of multiplying them together?

If you spend one second running from a mark "-16 meter" to a mark "0" 16 meters away, what is the distance you covered?
Still 16, wouldn't it?

It is a position versus time graph, not a speed versus time graph.

Yeah, I get confused between the two most of the time. Can you tell me if my answers above are correct?

physicsnerd26 said:
So I should do position/time instead of multiplying them together?
The answer is much easier. Just check where you are when. If you have to move from position x to y, you have to move by ...
It does not matter how long that takes.
physicsnerd26 said:
Still 16, wouldn't it?
Right, but you calculated a different, wrong value.
physicsnerd26 said:
Yeah, I get confused between the two most of the time. Can you tell me if my answers above are correct?
They are not.

Likes physicsnerd26
physicsnerd26 said:
This makes no sense. Between A and B, the position didn't change. Also, the units don't make sense -- you're multiplying a position (in m.) by a time (in sec.) so you wouldn't get meters as a result. In fact, you don't get anything meaningful by multiplying the position by the time.

Likes physicsnerd26

Related to Finding total distance on a position vs time graph

What is a position vs time graph?

A position vs time graph is a visual representation of an object's position or location over a period of time. The horizontal axis represents time and the vertical axis represents position.

How do you calculate total distance on a position vs time graph?

To calculate total distance on a position vs time graph, you need to find the area under the curve. This can be done by dividing the graph into smaller sections and calculating the area of each section using the formula for the area of a rectangle (length x width). Then, add up all the areas to get the total distance.

What does the slope of a position vs time graph represent?

The slope of a position vs time graph represents the object's velocity or speed. A steeper slope indicates a higher velocity, while a flatter slope indicates a lower velocity.

Can the total distance on a position vs time graph be negative?

No, the total distance on a position vs time graph cannot be negative. Distance is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude and no direction. Therefore, it can only be represented as a positive value.

What are some real-life applications of using a position vs time graph?

Position vs time graphs are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to analyze the motion of objects. They can also be used in sports to track an athlete's position and speed over time. In addition, they are used in GPS systems to calculate and track the position of vehicles or individuals.