Definition of Propsman - Property Master

• Thread starter humanino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Definition
In summary, the conversation is about the definition of a propsman and the roles of a gaffer and best boy in the film industry. The propsman is responsible for handling props on set, while the gaffer is the head electrician and the best boy assists both the gaffer and key grip. The origins and duties of these terms are also discussed.
humanino
Dear PFers,

I have trouble finding a definition for propsman. Is it a short name for Property master ?
Thank you in advance for your help :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
humanino said:
Dear PFers,

I have trouble finding a definition for propsman. Is it a short name for Property master ?
Thank you in advance for your help :smile:
Can you use it in context within a sentence? I've heard it as a term for the person that handles props for theater/movies.

It was actually in a technical note. As a propsman, what he did was "packing the props and costumes, clean up". I know it is a little vague :redface: But thank you very much still.

The propsman is responsible for the props used in a movie. Props is short for theatrical property. (so, you're pretty close)

The props are anything used on a set to give the movie some realism (e.g. a gun for the character to shoot instead of having to point his finger and say 'Bang!' - except the sound editor is responsible for the 'Bang', not the propsman).

What does the gaffer do? And the best boy??
That's the two occupations I've wondered about..

I believe the gaffer is the head electrical worker. That or lightman, not sure.

And the best boy? There is always a best boy in movies?
According to this Wikipedia article, there are TWO best boys, one assistant to both the gaffer and to the key grip:
[PLAIN]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_boy[/URL]

Hmm..key grip? KEY GRIP??

Last edited by a moderator:
Where's marlon when we need him. He knows this stuff backwards, forwards, over, under, sideways, down . . . or at least he should. :biggrin:

I think the Wiki ref in the OP is correct.

arildno said:
What does the gaffer do? And the best boy??
That's the two occupations I've wondered about..

A gaff is an iron hook with a handle; usually used for landing large fish, but sometimes used on the crew. A gaff is also the term for the spar rising aft from a mast to support the head of a quadrilateral fore-and-aft sail (the gaff sail).

It's obvious that the gaffer is the guy dressed like a pirate that gaffs out of line movie crewmembers, plus has the additional duty of procuring lunch for the movie crew.

I think the best boy has to carry any fish the gaffer lands.

Hmm, unless gaffer comes from gaffe. Spearing the staring actress with an iron hook would probably qualify as a serious gaffe.

Take a key grip on yourself, BobG

fire-truck-3b.jpg

Related to Definition of Propsman - Property Master

1. What is a Propsman or Property Master?

A Propsman, also known as a Property Master, is a member of a film or theater production team responsible for overseeing the acquisition and management of props, which are objects used by actors during a performance or on set.

2. What are the responsibilities of a Propsman?

A Propsman's responsibilities include researching and sourcing props, maintaining an inventory of props, organizing and setting up props on set, and ensuring the proper use and care of props during a production.

3. How does a Propsman contribute to a production?

A Propsman's contribution to a production is essential, as they are responsible for ensuring that all props are accurately and realistically portrayed on stage or screen. They work closely with the director and actors to understand the vision and needs of the production and help bring it to life.

4. What skills are necessary to become a Propsman?

To become a Propsman, one must have strong organizational and communication skills, as well as a keen eye for detail and creativity. Knowledge of props and their uses, as well as the ability to work well under pressure, are also essential.

5. Are there any educational requirements to become a Propsman?

While there are no specific educational requirements, many Propsman have a degree or background in theater, film, or art. Additionally, relevant experience in set design, carpentry, or prop making can also be beneficial in pursuing a career as a Propsman.