What is the meaning of the word Avoke? (English meaning)

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of the word "avoke," which means to call from or back again, and its obscurity in modern English. Some participants suggest it may be used in legal documents and discuss its Latin roots. The original poster cannot remember where they saw the word and is looking for a similar word that means "wasting everybody's time."
askingquestion
I look in the Dictionary and his definitions is:
Avoke = To call from or back again
I don't understand nothing. Can someone explain to me the definition (i.e. in other words).
Thanks in Advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you also see that it is obsolete? I have read thousands of books in English over a period of many decades and I have never seen that word used.

Are you reading a very old textbook or something?

Neither my etymology website nor the Cambridge dictionary knows that word. However, they refuse to know the term voke either. I love these sites!

phinds said:
Did you also see that it is obsolete? I have read thousands of books in English over a period of many decades and I have never seen that word used.

Are you reading a very old textbook or something?
I don't remember the context of its. I think there was expression like (I not sure exactly!!):
"to avoke the law"

askingquestion said:
I don't remember the context of its. I think there was expression like (I not sure exactly!!):
"to avoke the law"
Hm ... to "invoke" the law would make sense in modern English.

It IS possible that this archaic term is still in use in legal documents. Lawyers LOVE obscure words.

Likes fresh_42
To call back a law from away meaning another time or place..
This has good Latin roots avoco ("call"+"away"). I rather like the word.
But I am also fond of expletives

hutchphd said:
To call back a law from away meaning another time or place..
This has good Latin roots avoco ("call"+"away"). I rather like the word.
But [And] I am also fond of expletives
Fixed that for you. A man of culture, you are.

• Haha
Likes hutchphd
How 'bout "evoke?"

Likes BillTre and pinball1970
Bystander said:
How 'bout "evoke?"
I was thinking that.

Likes BillTre
askingquestion said:
I don't remember the context
So you don't remember the context, and it seems like you aren't even correctly remmebering the word - and you certainly can't check it since you don't remember exactly where you saw it.

I'm looking for a word that means "wasting everybody's time".

• Haha
Likes russ_watters, BillTre, phinds and 1 other person
Vanadium 50 said:
So you don't remember the context, and it seems like you aren't even correctly remmebering the word - and you certainly can't check it since you don't remember exactly where you saw it.

I'm looking for a word that means "wasting everybody's time".
You right. So, I will not continue asking question on this stage.

That certainly provoked a response!

Likes BillTre
Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

askingquestion said:
You right. So, I will not continue asking question on this stage.
The thread will thus remain closed.

Likes BillTre and Bystander

What is the meaning of the word Avoke? (English meaning)

The word Avoke does not have a commonly agreed upon meaning in the English language. It may be a misspelling of the word "invoke", which means to call upon or summon something, or it could be a proper noun with a unique meaning.

Is Avoke a real word?

As mentioned before, Avoke does not have a widely accepted meaning in English. It may be a word in another language or a made-up word with a specific meaning to a certain group of people.

What language does the word Avoke come from?

Without context or further information, it is impossible to determine the origin of the word Avoke. It could potentially come from any language or be a completely invented word.

Can Avoke be used in everyday conversation?

Since Avoke does not have a commonly accepted meaning, it would not make sense to use it in everyday conversation. It is always best to use words that have a clear and agreed upon meaning to avoid confusion.

Are there any alternative spellings or variations of the word Avoke?

There may be alternative spellings or variations of Avoke, but without context or further information, it is difficult to determine what those may be. It is possible that Avoke could be a misspelling of another word, so it is always important to double-check the spelling and context of a word before using it.