Definite Integral using Residue Thm

In summary, to calculate the integral [ z^4/(1 + z^8) ] over negative infinity to positive infinity, we can use the Residue Theorem for real-valued rational functions. By identifying the eight poles and finding the residues in the upper half plane, we can simplify the integral to 2πi(sum of all residues in the upper half plane U). The answer should be π/4 * 1/sin(3π/8). It is important to note that for simple poles, the residue is just f(x)/g'(x) evaluated at the point.
StumpedPupil

Homework Statement

Calculate the integral [ z^4/(1 + z^8) ] over negative infinity to positive infinity.

Homework Equations

Residue Theorem. Specifically for real-valued rational functions (on the real axis) where the denominator exceeds the degree of the numerator by at least two or more. The denominator has only complex poles, and the integral is given by 2πi(sum of all residues in the upper half plane U).

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the eight poles, only four of which are in the upper plane. So the residues in U we are looking for are for poles exp(πi/8), exp(3πi/8), exp(5πi/8), exp(7πi/8).

I posted this question before but unfortunately the help I was given didn't clear my confusion. The answer in the back of the book is π/4 * arcsin(3π/8) and I can't trace the steps to get this. I would greatly appreciate if somebody could walk me through finding the residue of one of these poles so that I can complete the rest of the question myself. I need to be able to get the answer in terms of arcsin which is part of my problem. When I multiplied the denominator all out for a pole then I get a huge expression of various exponents of e.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Huge protip: If you have f(x)/g(x), and you have a simple pole, the residue at the pole is just f(x)/g'(x) evaluated at the point. This will save you hours of anguish trying to sum up different combinations of roots of unity

I think the answer shouldn't contain arcsin. It must be 1/sin.

Ok, yeah I foolishly wrote the answer is arcsine but it is actually π/4 * 1/sin(3π/8).

Related to Definite Integral using Residue Thm

1. What is the definition of a definite integral using the Residue Theorem?

A definite integral using the Residue Theorem is a mathematical method used to evaluate integrals of functions that have poles (singularities) in the complex plane. It involves using the residues (the values of the function at the poles) to calculate the integral.

2. How is the Residue Theorem related to complex analysis?

The Residue Theorem is a fundamental result in complex analysis that allows us to evaluate certain integrals using the residues of a function. It is closely related to the Cauchy Integral Theorem, which states that the integral of a function around a closed contour in the complex plane is equal to the sum of the residues inside the contour.

3. What types of functions can be evaluated using the Residue Theorem?

The Residue Theorem can be used to evaluate integrals of rational functions, as well as functions that can be written as a sum of rational functions and trigonometric or exponential functions. It is not applicable to all types of functions, such as those with essential singularities.

4. Can the Residue Theorem be used to evaluate integrals in the real domain?

Yes, the Residue Theorem can be used to evaluate certain integrals in the real domain. This is because any real function can be extended to a complex function, and the residues can be calculated for the complex function. However, in some cases, the integral in the complex plane may need to be transformed back to the real domain.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using the Residue Theorem?

One limitation of the Residue Theorem is that it can only be used for functions that have poles in the complex plane. Additionally, it can be challenging to find the residues and to determine which contour to use for the integral. Furthermore, the Residue Theorem cannot be used for functions with essential singularities or for certain types of improper integrals.