A Definite Integral Using the Residue Theorem

In summary, the conversation involved attempting to solve a definite integral using the residue theorem. The attempt at a solution involved rewriting the integral as a contour integral and finding the singularities. However, a sign error was made in the calculation of the residue, resulting in the incorrect final answer.
AppleFritters

Homework Statement

I'm trying to solve this definite integral using the residue theorem:

[tex]\int _0^\pi \frac{d \theta}{ (2+ \cos \theta)^2}
[/tex]​

Homework Equations

I got the residue theorem which says that
[tex] \oint_C f(z)dz = 2 \pi i \ \ \text{times the sum of the residues inside C}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int _0^\pi \frac{d \theta}{ (2+ \cos \theta)^2} = \frac{1}{2} \int _0 ^ {2\pi} \frac{d \theta}{ (2+ \cos \theta)^2} = \frac{1}{2} \int _0 ^ {2\pi} \frac{d \theta}{ (4+ 4 \cos \theta + \cos^2 \theta)} \\
[/tex]

I can rewrite [tex] \cos \theta [/tex] as [tex]\cos \theta = \frac{1}{2} (e^{i \theta} + e^{-i \theta})[/tex]

So substituting this in, I get

[tex] \frac{1}{2} \int _0 ^ {2\pi} \frac{d \theta}{ (\frac{9}{2} + \frac{1}{4}e^{2i \theta} + \frac{1}{4}e^{-2i \theta} + 2e^{i \theta} + 2e^{-i\theta})} [/tex]

Now I make the integral into a contour integral and also make a change of variables:

[tex] z=e^{i \theta}, \hspace{2ex} dz = izd\theta , \hspace{2ex} d \theta = \frac{1}{iz} dz\\
\frac{1}{2}\oint_{\text{unit circle}} \frac{1}{iz} \left(\frac{dz}{\frac{9}{2} + \frac{z^2}{4} + \frac{1}{4z^2} + 2z + \frac{2}{z}}\right) = \frac{1}{2i} \oint \frac{1}{z} \left( \frac{dz}{\frac{1}{4z^2} (z^4 + 8z^3 + 18z^2 + 8z + 1)} \right) = \frac{1}{2i} \oint \frac{zdz}{\frac{1}{4}(z^2 + 4z + 1)^2}[/tex]

To find the singularities, I used the quadratic equation and got
[tex] z_1 = -2 + \sqrt{3} \\
z_2 = -2 - \sqrt{3} [/tex]
[itex]z_1[/itex] lies inside the unit circle but [itex]z_2[/itex] does not. It looks like I'm going to have a second order pole at [itex] z_1 = -2 + \sqrt{3} [/itex] so now I'm going to find the residue at [itex] z_1 [/itex]

[tex] \frac{1}{2i} \oint \frac{zdz}{\frac{1}{4}(z^2 + 4z + 1)^2} = \frac{1}{2i} \oint \frac{zdz}{\frac{1}{4}((z + z_1)(z+z_2))^2} [/tex]

Since this is a second order pole, to find the residue, I multiply [itex] f(z) [/itex] by [itex] (z+z_1)^2 [/itex], then differentiate the result once.

[tex] (z+z_1)^2 f(z) = \frac{z(z+z_1)^2}{((z+z_1)(z+z_2))^2} = \frac{z}{(z+z_2)^2} \hspace{3ex} \rightarrow \hspace{3ex} \frac{d}{dz} \left( \frac{z}{(z+z_2)^2} \right) = -\frac{2z}{(z+z_2)^3} + \frac{1}{(z+z_2)^2} [/tex]

Now take the limit as [itex] z \rightarrow z_1 [/itex] or just evaluating the expression at [itex] z=z_1 [/itex]

[tex] -\frac{2(-2+\sqrt{3})}{(-2 + \sqrt{3} + -2 - \sqrt{3})^3} + \frac{1}{(-2 + \sqrt{3} + -2 - \sqrt{3})^2} = \frac{-2(-2 + \sqrt{3})}{(-4)^3} + \frac{1}{(-4)^2} = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{32} [/tex]

So I get [itex] \frac{\sqrt{3}}{32} [/itex] for the residue. Now applying the residue theorem,

[tex] \frac{1}{2i} \oint \frac{zdz}{\frac{1}{4} (z^2+4z+1)^2} = \frac{1}{2i} 2 \pi i (4) \left( \frac{\sqrt{3}}{32} \right) = \boxed{\frac{\pi \sqrt{3}}{8}}[/tex]

The answer is supposed to be [itex] \frac{2 \pi}{3\sqrt{3}}[/itex]. I can't figure out what I did wrong. Can anyone please point out where I made a mistake? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sign errors. In terms of ##z_1## and ##z_2##, ##f(z)## is ##\frac{z}{(z-z_1)^2(z-z_2)^2}##.

That was such a silly mistake. I kept reworking this problem so many times because of this simple mistake. Thank you so much

Related to A Definite Integral Using the Residue Theorem

1. What is the Residue Theorem and how is it used to evaluate definite integrals?

The Residue Theorem is a powerful tool in complex analysis that allows us to evaluate certain types of integrals. It states that if f(z) is a function that is analytic in a simply connected region except for a finite number of isolated singularities, then the integral of f(z) around a closed contour is equal to 2πi times the sum of the residues of f(z) at its singularities inside the contour. This allows us to reduce the evaluation of a complex integral to simple algebraic calculations using the residues.

2. What are singularities and how do they affect the Residue Theorem?

Singularities are points in the complex plane where a function is not defined or is infinite. In the context of the Residue Theorem, they are important because they determine the value of the integral. If a contour encloses a singularity, its residue must be calculated and included in the final result. If a contour passes through a singularity, the integral will not be equal to the sum of the residues, and additional techniques must be used to evaluate it.

3. How do we choose a contour to evaluate a definite integral using the Residue Theorem?

The choice of contour depends on the function and the limits of integration. Generally, we want to choose a contour that encloses all the singularities of the function, as well as the interval of integration. This ensures that we capture all the residues and the integral is equal to the sum of them. In some cases, we may need to break up the integral into smaller contours to avoid passing through singularities.

4. Can the Residue Theorem be used to evaluate integrals in the real plane?

Yes, the Residue Theorem can be applied to integrals in the real plane as well. This is because real integrals can be extended to complex integrals by simply setting the imaginary part of the integrand to zero. However, in this case, the contour must be a closed contour in the complex plane that includes the real line and all the singularities of the function along the real line.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Residue Theorem to evaluate definite integrals?

Yes, the Residue Theorem can only be applied to certain types of integrals. It is most useful for integrals with rational functions, trigonometric functions, and logarithmic functions. It cannot be used for integrals that involve branch cuts or essential singularities. In these cases, other methods such as contour deformation or the Cauchy Integral Theorem may be used.