Decoherence and the Dust Particle

In summary: If, for the sake of discussion, multiple photon interactions are required to localize a dust particle, wouldn't this change the "degree of irreversibility" of the localization?The degree of irreversibility would not change, as the dust particle would still only be localized to a very small percentage of its total mass (due to the many photons that were required for the decoherence).The degree of irreversibility would not change, as the dust particle would still only be localized to a very small percentage of its total mass (due to the many photons that were required for the decoherence).
bhobba said:
Have you stopped to consider it actually doesn't make sense? Which it doesn't BTW eg exponential - where exactly that comes from beats me - actually it doesn't beat me - its a symptom of what I have been saying.
I think we should just drop it. It seems to be getting personal, and I certainly had no intention of that. By "exponential", I simply meant expanding rapidly. As I've confessed previously, my mathematical terminology is sadly lacking. For that matter, the entire reference to expansion is likely a misconception as well. Your point is taken.

Physics news on Phys.org
cube137 said:
Please note that Hobba and Neumaier are Ph.D. in mathematics so they don't have patience in dealing those below undergraduate in mathematics or physics. Advisers who are most patient are the rest like atyy or mfb. I guess the quantum physics forums have to be divided into two.. for undergraduates and for advanced laymen. We are advanced laymen who struggled for years reading many books.
Well, then some tip: If you invest such a long time in reading "many books", why then don't you read the right books? It's fun to read one or two popular-science books. The problem is that most of them are very bad. It's very difficult to write a good popular-science book also for experts in the field (and you should sort out any popular-science book not written by an expert in the field, i.e., a scientist working in it). So if you are willing to spend several years in reading books, read good textbooks. You'll need to study a lot of math first, then classical mechanics and some classical electrodynamics to get used to the mathematical tools, but that's fun too!

Likes bhobba
May I ask one basic question? Does a photon being emitted by a particle constitute a physical interaction (in terms of decoherence) in anyway comparable to a photon being absorbed by a particle?

Last edited:
Never mind. I think it might be best to start a different thread with a different mind set, and let this one die a merciful death.

Likes bhobba and vanhees71
I agree.