DC Generator Question: How Can Loading Occur When Terminals are Open?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between torque and current in a DC generator, and the impact of open and short-circuited terminals on the generator's performance. The main question posed is whether there can be loading on the physical force acting on a generator when the terminals are open and there is no current flow. The conversation concludes that there needs to be both voltage and current for the generator to produce power, and that short-circuiting the terminals can result in high internal losses without any external power output.
TheAnalogKid83
I've had this question going in my mind for probably half a year, but I just have not had time to think about it too closely, so maybe someone with experience can help me.

With a DC generator, it's torque is proportional to the current flowing through the input terminals. Basically the voltage applied creates current flow through the internal circuit of the motor, and then this current is converted by a constant to a torque, which is then converted through a friction and inertia transfer function to give you angular velocity of the motor shaft. The key point to my problem is that there is no open at the terminals, and the current has a path to flow.

Now with a generator, you basically have a reversed motor. The physical force is generating electrical engergy. So the turning of the shaft should generate a voltage on the terminals, the back EMF. If you short the terminals, you have maximum current flowing through the generator, and thus a maximum torque. The loading on the physical force should increase greatly when you short the terminals. The open terminals should have 0 torque, and the load should be purely mechanical (friction at steady state). Is this the case? When turning the generator that has open terminals, there still feels like the motor is generating negative feedback, and there still is measurable loading.

I've never had an electro mechanical course, so maybe I am sounding ignorant, but how can you have a loading on the physical force acting on a generator when the terminals of the generator are open and there is no current flow?

Engineering news on Phys.org
TheAnalogKid83 said:
If you short the terminals, you have maximum current flowing through the generator, and thus a maximum torque.
That is your problem. It requires both voltage and current to produce power. If you short circuit a generator, it makes no external power. However, the ##I^2R## losses internally soar because of the high current.

Related to DC Generator Question: How Can Loading Occur When Terminals are Open?

1. What is a DC generator?

A DC generator is an electrical device that converts mechanical energy into direct current (DC) electricity. It works on the principle of Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction, which states that a voltage is induced in a conductor when it is moved through a magnetic field.

2. How does a DC generator work?

A DC generator consists of a rotating armature, which is a loop of wire mounted on an axis, and a stationary set of magnets called the stator. When the armature rotates, it cuts through the magnetic field created by the stator, inducing a voltage in the armature. This voltage produces a current that flows out through the generator's terminals and can be used to power electrical devices.

3. What is meant by "loading" in a DC generator?

Loading in a DC generator refers to the process of drawing power from the generator's terminals to operate electrical devices. This places a load on the generator, causing it to work harder to maintain a constant output voltage.

4. How can loading occur when the terminals are open?

Loading can occur in a DC generator even when the terminals are open because the magnetic field created by the stator induces a voltage in the armature, even without a complete circuit. This voltage is known as the open-circuit voltage and is equal to the full output voltage of the generator when no load is connected.

5. What happens when a DC generator is overloaded?

When a DC generator is overloaded, it is unable to supply enough current to meet the demands of the connected electrical devices. This can cause the generator to overheat, potentially damaging its components. It is important to match the load requirements of the electrical devices to the capabilities of the generator to avoid overloading.