Database of physics powerpoint slides?

In summary: I have my own lecture notes for the courses that I teach. I do make use of figures and pictures that I get from the publisher's website, but 90% of my lecture notes are my own creation, and this includes the animations.
ericm1234
Is there any website that has a database of physics (or other course) powerpoint slide sets?

For example, I am teaching both an introductory physics class, and a separate calc-based physics class of what should be the same general material as the non-calc-based. For the former class I am using the Etkina et al book, and for the latter I am using an open access online textbook from Moebs et al. Regardless of whether these books come with powerpoint slides for the instructor to use, I'd like access to other options; obviously it'd be helpful that if such a database existed, the sets of powerpoint slides were based on the textbook of choice.

Likes plasmon_shmasmon
Science news on Phys.org
ericm1234 said:
Regardless of whether these books come with powerpoint slides for the instructor to use, I'd like access to other options; obviously it'd be helpful that if such a database existed, the sets of powerpoint slides were based on the textbook of choice.
Just curious. If you're looking for a set of slides based on a particular textbook, why not adapt the ones from the publisher for your course?

ericm1234 said:
Is there any website that has a database of physics (or other course) powerpoint slide sets?

For example, I am teaching both an introductory physics class, and a separate calc-based physics class of what should be the same general material as the non-calc-based. For the former class I am using the Etkina et al book, and for the latter I am using an open access online textbook from Moebs et al. Regardless of whether these books come with powerpoint slides for the instructor to use, I'd like access to other options; obviously it'd be helpful that if such a database existed, the sets of powerpoint slides were based on the textbook of choice.

vela said:
Just curious. If you're looking for a set of slides based on a particular textbook, why not adapt the ones from the publisher for your course?

I echo @vela post. At least here in the US, once your dept. has adopted a textbook and make a deal with the publisher, you and your students will have access to not only purchasing the electronic version of the book, but also as an instructor, you get to register and gain access to (i) HW questions and solutions, (ii) suggested quizzes/exams, and (iii) pre-made PPT lecture notes.

Edit: BTW, I did a google search on "general physics lecture ppt" and found numerous websites with presentation lecture notes, a few even in ppt that you can download.

Zz.

Last edited:
ZapperZ said:
I echo @vela post. At least here in the US, once your dept. has adopted a textbook and make a deal with the publisher, you and your students will have access to not only purchasing the electronic version of the book, but also as an instructor, you get to register and gain access to (i) HW questions and solutions, (ii) suggested quizzes/exams, and (iii) pre-made PPT lecture notes.

I always preferred my lectures to be more complementary to the book for several reasons:
1. Following the book too closely tended to convince students that they did not need to read the book.
2. Students who did read the book benefit more from a complementary perspective.
3. Most of the other resources the publisher provides to supplement the book are from a common perspective to the book.

Dr. Courtney said:
I always preferred my lectures to be more complementary to the book for several reasons:
1. Following the book too closely tended to convince students that they did not need to read the book.
2. Students who did read the book benefit more from a complementary perspective.
3. Most of the other resources the publisher provides to supplement the book are from a common perspective to the book.

I didn't say that *I* use these lecture notes wholesale. So I'm not sure why this list is necessary to me.

I have my own lecture notes for the courses that I teach. I do make use of figures and pictures that I get from the publisher's website, but 90% of my lecture notes are my own creation, and this includes the animations.

Zz.

1. What is a database of physics PowerPoint slides?

A database of physics PowerPoint slides is a collection of presentation slides that cover various topics in the field of physics. These slides can be used for educational, research, or informational purposes.

2. Who can benefit from a database of physics PowerPoint slides?

Students, teachers, researchers, and anyone interested in learning about physics can benefit from a database of physics PowerPoint slides. These slides can be used for presentations, studying, or as a reference for understanding different concepts in physics.

3. How can I access a database of physics PowerPoint slides?

There are various ways to access a database of physics PowerPoint slides. Some universities or institutions may have their own databases that can be accessed through their websites. There are also online resources, such as academic databases or open-access websites, that offer a collection of physics PowerPoint slides.

4. Can I use the slides from a database for my own presentations?

It depends on the terms of use for the specific database. Some databases may allow for educational or non-commercial use of the slides, while others may require permission or citation for use. It is important to check the terms of use before using the slides for your own presentations.

5. Are the slides in a database of physics PowerPoint presentations accurate and reliable?

The accuracy and reliability of the slides may vary depending on the source and the content. It is important to verify the information and sources used in the slides before using them for educational or research purposes. It is also recommended to cross-reference information from multiple sources to ensure accuracy.