Open Education Resources (OER) question

In summary, the conversation is about finding a free textbook for an algebra-based intro physics course. The person is currently using a textbook with instructor resources but is considering switching to OpenStax College Physics due to rising textbook prices. They are asking for opinions on the book and if it comes with PowerPoint slides and a testbank with solutions. Another person suggests checking the book's web page for a list of available resources.
Gamma
Hello,

I want to find the best free textbook for my algebra-based intro physics courses. Currently I am using Physics-Principles with Applications by Giancoli and I am a bit reluctant to move to open source since I have gotten used to the instructor resources that comes with my current textbook! But, there is a push to adopt open source in my school since the textbook prices have sky rocketed in recent days. I found OpenStax College Physics pretty appealing. Has anyone used this book? Does this come with PowerPoint slides and a testbank with solutions. Basically, I would like to know your overall opinion about using this text in class. I teach at a community college.
Thanks for all your input!
Gamma

Science news on Phys.org
Thanks vela! I'll be able to see those when my account is verified.

Related to Open Education Resources (OER) question

1. What are Open Education Resources (OER)?

Open Education Resources (OER) are freely accessible learning materials that can be used, shared, and modified by anyone. These resources include textbooks, videos, lecture notes, and other educational materials that are available online for no cost.

2. How are OER different from traditional educational resources?

OER differ from traditional educational resources in that they are openly licensed, meaning they can be freely used, shared, and modified by anyone. Traditional educational resources, such as textbooks, are typically copyrighted and have restrictions on their use and distribution.

3. Who can benefit from using OER?

OER can benefit a wide range of individuals and institutions, including students, teachers, and educational organizations. Students can save money by accessing free textbooks and learning materials, while teachers can customize and adapt OER to meet the specific needs of their students. Educational organizations can also benefit from using OER by reducing costs and increasing access to quality educational resources.

4. How can I find and access OER?

There are many websites and repositories that offer OER, such as OpenStax, MERLOT, and OER Commons. These resources can be accessed online for free and can be downloaded or shared with others. Some OER may also be available in physical formats, such as printed textbooks or DVDs.

5. Are there any limitations to using OER?

While OER offer many benefits, there are some limitations to consider. Some OER may not be of high quality, and it may be challenging to find resources that align with a specific curriculum or learning objective. Additionally, some OER may be subject to certain licensing restrictions, so it is important to check the terms of use before using them.