D lines of sodium (Z = 11)

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the magnetic field experienced by the valence electron in the sodium atom based on the D1 and D2 transitions. The formula for spin-orbit interaction energy is given, but there is uncertainty about how to calculate the magnetic field from it. The relationship between the angle of the magnetic moment and the angle between the orbital angular momentum and spin is also discussed. Ultimately, the value of the magnetic field is determined by the quantum numbers S^2, L^2, J^2 and J_z.
boyu
Consider the D1 and D2 transitions (3p --> 3s) of the sodium atom (Z = 11).

How to calculate the magnetic field experienced by the valence electron arising from its orbital motion, given that the wavelength difference between the D lines?

The formula that I have from lecture notes for spin-orbit interaction energy is

[tex]<V_{SL}>=\frac{Z^{4}\alpha^{2}}{n^{3}}E_{0}\frac{j(j+1)-l(l+1)-\frac{3}{4}}{l(l+1)(2l+1)}[/tex]

But I can't see any method to calculate the magnetic field from it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Spin orbit splitting is simply -\mu*B, where B is magnetic field acting on 3p-electron, \mu is the electron magnetic moment.

Thanks for your reply, but I guess we still need to consider the angle between [tex]\mu[/tex] and [tex]B[/tex], right?

And this angle is also given by the angle between [tex]L[/tex] and [tex]S[/tex], since [tex]\mu[/tex] is parallel to [tex]S[/tex] and [tex]B[/tex] is parallel to [tex]L[/tex].

Thus, [tex]cos\theta=\frac{j(j+1)-l(l+1)-s(s+1)}{2\sqrt{l(l+1)s(s+1)}}[/tex],

since [tex]J^{2}=L^{2}+S^{2}+2L\cdot S=l(l+1)+s(s+1)+2\sqrt{l(l+1)s(s+1)}cos\theta[/tex]

But I am still not sure about this answer...

boyu said:
Thanks for your reply, but I guess we still need to consider the angle between [tex]\mu[/tex] and [tex]B[/tex], right?

And this angle is also given by the angle between [tex]L[/tex] and [tex]S[/tex], since [tex]\mu[/tex] is parallel to [tex]S[/tex] and [tex]B[/tex] is parallel to [tex]L[/tex].

Thus, [tex]cos\theta=\frac{j(j+1)-l(l+1)-s(s+1)}{2\sqrt{l(l+1)s(s+1)}}[/tex],

since [tex]J^{2}=L^{2}+S^{2}+2L\cdot S=l(l+1)+s(s+1)+2\sqrt{l(l+1)s(s+1)}cos\theta[/tex]

But I am still not sure about this answer...

Well, angle is not well defined value. Splitting is \delta=2\mu_B*C*(L*S), The mag field B=C*L. The quantum numbers here are S^2, L^2, J^2 and J_z. Thus B^2=C^2*L^2. C is some constat proportional to el. fiel gradient.

Related to D lines of sodium (Z = 11)

1. What are "D lines of sodium"?

"D lines of sodium" refer to the two bright yellow lines in the visible spectrum of light emitted by the element sodium when it is heated to a high temperature.

2. How are the D lines of sodium formed?

The D lines are formed when electrons in sodium atoms are excited to higher energy levels and then fall back down to their ground state, releasing energy in the form of photons of light with a specific wavelength. The wavelength of these photons corresponds to the bright yellow color that we see.

3. Why are the D lines of sodium important in astronomy?

The D lines of sodium are important in astronomy because they are often used as a reference point for measuring the velocity of stars and galaxies. The Doppler effect causes a shift in the wavelength of the D lines, which can indicate whether an object is moving towards or away from us.

4. What is the significance of the atomic number (Z = 11) in relation to the D lines of sodium?

The atomic number, which is equal to the number of protons in the nucleus of an atom, determines the element's properties and placement on the periodic table. Sodium has an atomic number of 11, and this determines the specific energy levels and electronic transitions that result in the D lines of sodium.

5. Can the D lines of sodium be used to identify the presence of sodium in a substance?

Yes, the characteristic D lines of sodium can be used to identify the presence of sodium in a substance. By analyzing the wavelengths of light emitted by a substance, scientists can determine which elements are present and in what quantities. This technique is commonly used in spectroscopy and can help identify elements in stars and other distant objects in space.