Cyclic Group - Isomorphism of Non Identity Mapping

In summary: You haven't shown an argument that:1.##\psi## is 1-1.2.##\psi## is onto.3.##\psi## is a homomorphism.4.##\psi## is an isomorphism.1. To show that \psi is 1-1, suppose that \psi(a) = \psi(b). Then a^{-1} = b^{-1}. What can you conclude about a and b?2. To show that \psi is onto, let c be any element of G. What is \psi(c^{-1})?3. To show that \psi is a homomorphism, let a
Justabeginner

Homework Statement

Prove that if G is a cyclic group with more than two elements, then there always exists an isomorphism: ψ: G--> G that is not the identity mapping.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So if G is a cyclic group of prime order with n>2, then by Euler's function Phi(n)> 1.
Then (r, n) = 1 by the definition of prime, and 1 < r < n. If G= (g), then Δ: g - > g^r is a nonidentity mapping.

However, this doesn't seem like a formalized proof to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Justabeginner said:

Homework Statement

Prove that if G is a cyclic group with more than two elements, then there always exists an isomorphism: ψ: G--> G that is not the identity mapping.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So if G is a cyclic group of prime order with n>2, then by Euler's function Phi(n)> 1.
Then (r, n) = 1 by the definition of prime, and 1 < r < n. If G= (g), then Δ: g - > g^r is a nonidentity mapping.

However, this doesn't seem like a formalized proof to me.

There is nothing in the statement which requires that the order of G be prime, so for that reason your proof doesn't work.

Hint: Consider the map [itex]\phi: G \to G : g \mapsto g^{-1}[/itex].

pasmith said:
There is nothing in the statement which requires that the order of G be prime, so for that reason your proof doesn't work.

Hint: Consider the map [itex]\phi: G \to G : g \mapsto g^{-1}[/itex].

So if G is cyclic with order n>2, and a mapping ψ: G --> G: g --> g^-1 exists, then ψ (g) = g^-1.
To check if the mapping is a homormorphism:
ψ(g) ψ(g^-1) = (g^-1)(g) = e = ψ(e) = ψ((g)(g^-1)).

This mapping is a group homomorphism. However, this is an identity mapping, so am I supposed to take another ψ(g)?

Justabeginner said:
So if G is cyclic with order n>2, and a mapping ψ: G --> G: g --> g^-1 exists, then ψ (g) = g^-1.

This mapping is a group homomorphism. However, this is an identity mapping, so am I supposed to take another ψ(g)?

Do you know the definition of the identity map ##I: G\to G##?

LCKurtz said:
Do you know the definition of the identity map ##I: G\to G##?

It is an automorphism right? A mapping of G to G itself?

What particular mapping is it? If you are trying to show something is or is not the identity map, it would be good to know what the identity map is. How is the identity map defined?

LCKurtz said:
What particular mapping is it? If you are trying to show something is or is not the identity map, it would be good to know what the identity map is. How is the identity map defined?

It means that when an element in group G is mapped to an element in group H, the element in group G maps to e, the identity element present in group H.

The identity element in a group is not the same thing as an identity map on the group. The identity map on a group G is the map ##I: G \to G## given by ## I(a) = a## for all ##a \in G##.

LCKurtz said:
The identity element in a group is not the same thing as an identity map on the group. The identity map on a group G is the map ##I: G \to G## given by ## I(a) = a## for all ##a \in G##.

So it is a mapping from itself to itself?

I'm not sure that sentence makes sense! The identity mapping take each element of G to itself.

HallsofIvy said:
I'm not sure that sentence makes sense! The identity mapping take each element of G to itself.

Sorry that is what I meant to say. Each element of G is taken to the same element of G.

Justabeginner said:
Sorry that is what I meant to say. Each element of G is taken to the same element of G.

Isn't that exactly what I told you in post #8? Now, do you have any additional thoughts about what you said in the last line of post #3?

Justabeginner said:

That is not how to check that a map is a homomorphism. You need to check that [itex]\psi(g)\psi(h) = \psi(gh)[/itex] for all elements [itex]g[/itex] and [itex]h[/itex]. It is a consequence of this definition that [itex]\psi(e) = e[/itex] and [itex]\psi(g^{-1}) = (\psi(g))^{-1}[/itex].

Thus here
[tex]
\psi(g)\psi(h) = g^{-1}h^{-1} = (hg)^{-1} = \psi(hg).
[/tex] You now need to explain why the fact that [itex]G[/itex] is cyclic enables you to conclude that [itex]\psi(hg) = \psi(gh)[/itex], because it is not true for arbitrary groups that [itex]g \mapsto g^{-1}[/itex] is an automorphism.

This mapping is a group homomorphism. However, this is an identity mapping,

The identity map on [itex]G[/itex] is the "do nothing" map, [itex]g \mapsto g[/itex].

Unless every element of [itex]G[/itex] is self-inverse ([itex]g = g^{-1}[/itex]), the map [itex]\psi[/itex] is not the identity map on [itex]G[/itex]. Under what circumstances is every element of a cyclic group self-inverse?

Finally, you need to show that [itex]\psi[/itex] is an isomorphism, not merely a homomorphism. Thus you need to explain why [itex]\psi[/itex] is a bijection.

pasmith said:
Under what circumstances is every element of a cyclic group self-inverse?

Finally, you need to show that [itex]\psi[/itex] is an isomorphism, not merely a homomorphism. Thus you need to explain why [itex]\psi[/itex] is a bijection.

Every cyclic group is abelian, so ψ(gh) = ψ(hg). I have shown that it is well defined and then injective and surjective, therefore an isomorphism. I think I've understood the technique, now off to solve more practice problems! Thank you.

Justabeginner said:
Every cyclic group is abelian, so ψ(gh) = ψ(hg). I have shown that it is well defined and then injective and surjective, therefore an isomorphism. I think I've understood the technique, now off to solve more practice problems! Thank you.

You haven't shown an argument that:
1.##\psi## is 1-1.
2.##\psi## is onto.
3.##\psi## is not the identity.

Related to Cyclic Group - Isomorphism of Non Identity Mapping

1. What is a cyclic group?

A cyclic group is a mathematical concept that represents a set of elements that can be generated by a single element through repeated operations. This single element is called a generator and the repeated operations can be addition or multiplication, depending on the group's operation.

2. What is an isomorphism?

An isomorphism is a mathematical concept that describes a one-to-one correspondence between two mathematical structures, such as groups, rings, or fields. It means that the two structures have the same underlying structure and can be mapped onto each other without losing any information.

3. What is non-identity mapping?

A non-identity mapping is a function that maps elements from one set to another set, where the elements are not mapped to themselves. In the context of cyclic groups, non-identity mappings can be used to show the relationship between different generators and their corresponding elements in the group.

4. How is isomorphism of non-identity mapping related to cyclic groups?

In the context of cyclic groups, isomorphism of non-identity mapping refers to the one-to-one correspondence between two cyclic groups that is preserved by a non-identity mapping. This means that the structure and elements of the two cyclic groups are related in a specific way that is maintained by the non-identity mapping.

5. What is the importance of understanding isomorphism of non-identity mapping in cyclic groups?

Understanding isomorphism of non-identity mapping in cyclic groups is important for several reasons. It allows for a deeper understanding of the structure and elements of cyclic groups and how they relate to each other. It also helps in solving problems and proving theorems related to cyclic groups. Additionally, isomorphism of non-identity mapping has applications in various fields, such as cryptography and coding theory.