Critical thinking skills and belief in conspiracy theory

In summary, the article discusses how believing in conspiracy theories is associated with decreased trust in people. The article also supports the idea that conspiracy theories are motivated by a need for people to feel safe and secure.
hutchphd said:
Its a representation of a (it is posted 4 March 2020) pandemic event involving a virus. Probably the most likely such event considering SARS and MERS had recently been thwarted.
What do you think of it?
Here is an video from the people who held the conference talking about it, seriously what are the odds

Physics news on Phys.org
nox said:
Here is an video from the people who held the conference talking about it, seriously what are the odds

This wasn't the first Corona virus and they have been expecting more to hit sooner or later. As I understand it, they have had the mRNA technology on the shelf waiting for ten years. What you call a conspiracy is really just science working. Instead of buying into crackpot conspiracies, how about learning to appreciate the power of good science.

The vaccine is proving to be highly effective. Where I live we have over 70% vaccinated and the case load is down to almost zero. For us the pandemic is over provided that people who didn't get the vaccine don't incubate a mutation that will evade the vaccine again.

Last edited:
Likes Astronuc, pinball1970, Evo and 2 others
nox said:
I mean there is no evidence that the mrna shot does anything other than creating asymptomatic cases,
Care to elaborate on that. We have great evidence that the vaccine works exceptionally well.

Likes Evo, BillTre, berkeman and 1 other person
Thread closed for Moderation...

Likes hutchphd
I'm afraid that this topic indeed attracts conspiracy crackpots, but maybe we should stand our ground.

I liked especially the wording
Ivan Seeking said:
What you call a conspiracy is really just science working. Instead of buying into crackpot conspiracies, how about learning to appreciate the power of good science.

The vaccine is proving to be highly effective.
The current mRNA vaccine from Pfizer-BionTech has better efficiency than our standard flu vaccines and covers even all currently known mutations as far as we can tell. And although being 'from the shelf' it took several months to develop it. Btw. by a rather small company (BionTech) that was already specialized in the field. The cooperation with Pfizer was primarily due to the fact that we needed large production capacities as well as established distribution channels. Since origin and profit is clearly decoupled, it would have been quite stupid for anyone to "plan an outbreak".

Thread is re-opened - on probation.

Likes DAH, russ_watters, Evo and 1 other person
pinball1970 said:
The Brazil building seemed to collapse in on itself, straight.
You did not answer that particular point.
I will remind of your claim.
'Have we ever seen buildings collapse on itself from a fire after the fact?'
If you heard a scraping sound, it was the goalposts sliding across the floor

• Love
  • Haha
Likes russ_watters, BillTre and pinball1970
No sense piling on.

80eed524-50ec-4c4c-b90f-1dce63269ba5.png

Likes Evo, BillTre, pinball1970 and 1 other person
I'm glad the thread is reopened and I was sad to see the direction it took. The subject of the thread is identifying the sources of conspiracy theory beliefs. I especially liked the fact that it began with a scientific paper. Debating if particular theories are true or not, or if science has the moral high ground should be out of this scope. Neither should we judge people who believe in those conspiracy theories.

First, we should agree on what is a conspiracy theory. From my earlier link, I like this definition:

Believing in Hidden Plots is Associated with Decreased Behavioral Trust: Conspiracy Belief as Greater Sensitivity to Social Threat or Insensitivity Towards its Absence? said:
Conspiracy theories are commonly defined as alternative explanations of past or current phenomena, which accuse a group of powerful individuals of acting in secret to achieve selfish, malevolent goals. [...] Most importantly, such conspiracy beliefs are consequential, that is, they are associated with several negative health-related, political and social attitudes and behaviors (e.g., reduced willingness to be vaccinated or to vote, increased willingness to use political violence; Imhoff et al., 2020; Jolley & Douglas, 2014a, b; Lamberty & Imhoff, 2018).

Now, back on topic for me.

Ivan Seeking said:
Biggest problem I see is that non experts want to challenge anything and everything rather than asking questions.
But at who do you direct your questions when you do not trust the experts?

Ivan Seeking said:
Rather than accepting that they are not experts and should therefore learn,
Learn from who? The people you don't trust?

Ivan Seeking said:
they see themselves as superior to actual experts based on magical knowledge. They believe the average person is much smarter than the highly educated even in their field of expertise!
The little knowledge you have is better than knowledge from someone you don't trust, wouldn't you agree?

Again, this is not a question of arguing who is right or wrong. It is a question of who you trust or not.

hutchphd said:
Here is a slightly less jaundiced view than my previous: https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/c...ence/zen-and-art-talking-conspiracy-theorists
I love this article. Slightly out of topic, but this is why I wish fewer threads should be closed on PF when faced with such subjects. Discussion is important to bring people together.

What should be avoided on PF:
Zen and the Art of Talking to Conspiracy Theorists said:
Being told your favourite conspiracy theory is dumb, dangerous and nonsensical is unlikely to bring you to your senses. Them’s fighting words. Besides, breaking up with a conspiracy theory is, well, heartbreaking.

What should be encouraged on PF:
Using empathy, avoiding confrontations, and keeping the dialogue going can help

jack action said:
But at who do you direct your questions when you do not trust the experts?

So anyone who is an "expert" is in a club? It may be that some group, like the scientists working for the tobacco industry, might falsify evidence related to the dangers of smoking. But to assume that every medical expert in the world is in on some grand conspiracy to perpetuate false information about smoking, is irrational. There are always experts you can turn to for qualified information.

jack action said:
Learn from who? The people you don't trust?

Again, that is irrational. For any given subject there are likely at least many thousands of people who can claim to be experts. They aren't all in on some grand conspiracy. To believe so is delusional and the best option is to get counseling. And while you can verify sources and publications, the average person is certainly not qualified to think they can do do-it-yourself science. They can either turn to experts, or they pretend to be experts and stay at a Holiday Inn, or turn to crackpots. Not a hard choice.

jack action said:
The little knowledge you have is better than knowledge from someone you don't trust, wouldn't you agree?

No. For complex issues, a little knowledge is as good as no knowledge. And trust issues involving all experts is a personal problem, not a scientific problem.

jack action said:
Again, this is not a question of arguing who is right or wrong. It is a question of who you trust or not.

It is a matter of recognizing that at most, conspiracies involve small groups of people, not every scientist in the world.

Likes hutchphd and Evo
Ivan Seeking said:
Again, that is irrational. For any given subject there are likely at least many thousands of people who can claim to be experts. They aren't all in on some grand conspiracy.
Funny side note: Isn't it strange, that even in a case where we had only a few experts, three or four at the time, who could understand Wiles' proof of FLT, nobody ever came up with a conspiracy theory?

Such effects apparently belong to the field of herd behavior.

Likes russ_watters and Ivan Seeking
jack action said:
But at who do you direct your questions when you do not trust the experts?Learn from who? The people you don't trust?The little knowledge you have is better than knowledge from someone you don't trust, wouldn't you agree?

None of this makes any sense. Just because you don't "trust" someone does NOT make them wrong, and just because you DO "trust" someone does NOT make them right.

You may trust some insane person spreading rumors that half of the government is actually child eating, Satan worshipping, sex trafficking pedophiles. Does the fact that you trust in that person make them correct? And why don't you trust the scientist that has a proven track record of honesty and accuracy, and been published and peer reviewed? How does your lack of trust make them wrong?

Likes Bystander
Evo said:
None of this makes any sense. Just because you don't "trust" someone does NOT make them wrong, and just because you DO "trust" someone does NOT make them right.

You may trust some insane person spreading rumors that half of the government is actually child eating, Satan worshipping, sex trafficking pedophiles. Does the fact that you trust in that person make them correct? And why don't you trust the scientist that has a proven track record of honesty and accuracy, and been published and peer reviewed? How does your lack of trust make them wrong?
Jack (he may correct me if I'm misinterpreting) seems to be concerned about effective communication here. He tries to get into one's mind to pinpoint what does and doesn't work when trying to arrive at a view of reality everyone can agree with. He does not advocate the position of a crank. Rather, he wants you all to try and engage with the human holding it, instead of professing that it doesn't warrant your time. One can do the latter when there is little risk of damage to the society, i.e. when the crackpots are scarce in a population, but not when there is a looming risk.
Like, we probably shouldn't ignore pro-epidemics or the 'global warming is a hoax' crowd, but we can mostly ignore the moon landing hoaxers or the flat earthers (even that is debatable, considering the propensity for cross-fertilization among the conspiracy theories).
This issue has been affecting tangible political outcomes for a long time, long before Covid. So let's try and understand why other people might think what they think, without dismissing them as stupid. It's the only way to actually changing their minds.

The main point here is that once a person loses trust in an institution (for whatever reason, good or bad, including being manipulated), it makes little sense to try and convince them to change their mind by using the authority of the same group they no longer see as authoritative. This, I think, is what is being challenged, not whether the view of an expert is correct or not.

Likes WindowSeat, russ_watters, ChemAir and 2 others
jack action said:
But at who do you direct your questions when you do not trust the experts
Yourself. As in what reason do you have for not trusting? Do a little research and you will likely come up with an answer that you didn't want. Something that most conspiracy nuts are unable or unwilling to do.

Likes Evo
@jack action and others who are interested in the psychology of conspiracy theories:

I posted a BBC article I found very interesting last year in the first post in this thread which was about the psychology and possible reasons behind conspiracy theories.

What we can learn from conspiracy theories (BBC, 25th May 2020)
http://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200522-what-we-can-learn-from-conspiracy-theories
"From political upheavals to anxieties about sex, technology and women, it turns out conspiracy theories can tell us a lot about what’s going on in our societies – and how to fix them."

Partly it makes the case that fears lay dormant in people's minds, and certain events (e.g. unusual, dramatic) can trigger those fears and spiral into conspiracy theory territory.

I just wanted to share the article here in case people interested in this haven't seen it. :smile:

• Informative
Likes pinball1970, jack action and Bystander
Ivan Seeking said:
There are always experts you can turn to for qualified information.
No there are not. Go on the streets and ask the average person if they know an expert where they can get qualified information: They don't know anyone. Most of them wouldn't even be able to appreciate the quality of the information. In such a case, where do you turn to?
Ivan Seeking said:
They aren't all in on some grand conspiracy.
Are we sure of this? There was a discussion about this here on PF, 4 years ago. The article cited from the OP has some scary revelations, here are the highlights:
Heart disease, which had been a relative rarity in the 1920s, was now felling middle-aged men at a frightening rate, and Americans were casting around for cause and cure. Ancel Keys provided an answer: the “diet-heart hypothesis” (for simplicity’s sake, I am calling it the “fat hypothesis”). This is the idea, now familiar, that an excess of saturated fats in the diet, from red meat, cheese, butter, and eggs, raises cholesterol, which congeals on the inside of coronary arteries, causing them to harden and narrow, until the flow of blood is staunched and the heart seizes up.

Ancel Keys was brilliant, charismatic, and combative. A friendly colleague at the University of Minnesota described him as, “direct to the point of bluntness, critical to the point of skewering”; others were less charitable. He exuded conviction at a time when confidence was most welcome. The president, the physician and the scientist formed a reassuring chain of male authority, and the notion that fatty foods were unhealthy started to take hold with doctors, and the public. (Eisenhower himself cut saturated fats and cholesterol from his diet altogether, right up until his death, in 1969, from heart disease.)

Many scientists, especially British ones, remained sceptical. The most prominent doubter was John Yudkin, then the UK’s leading nutritionist. When Yudkin looked at the data on heart disease, he was struck by its correlation with the consumption of sugar, not fat. He carried out a series of laboratory experiments on animals and humans, and observed, as others had before him, that sugar is processed in the liver, where it turns to fat, before entering the bloodstream.
Ancel Keys was intensely aware that Yudkin’s sugar hypothesis posed an alternative to his own. If Yudkin published a paper, Keys would excoriate it, and him. He called Yudkin’s theory “a mountain of nonsense”, and accused him of issuing “propaganda” for the meat and dairy industries. “Yudkin and his commercial backers are not deterred by the facts,” he said. “They continue to sing the same discredited tune.” Yudkin never responded in kind. He was a mild-mannered man, unskilled in the art of political combat.

That made him vulnerable to attack, and not just from Keys. The British Sugar Bureau dismissed Yudkin’s claims about sugar as “emotional assertions”; the World Sugar Research Organisation called his book “science fiction”. In his prose, Yudkin is fastidiously precise and undemonstrative, as he was in person. Only occasionally does he hint at how it must have felt to have his life’s work besmirched, as when he asks the reader, “Can you wonder that one sometimes becomes quite despondent about whether it is worthwhile trying to do scientific research in matters of health?”

Throughout the 1960s, Keys accumulated institutional power. He secured places for himself and his allies on the boards of the most influential bodies in American healthcare, including the American Heart Association and the National Institutes of Health. From these strongholds, they directed funds to like-minded researchers, and issued authoritative advice to the nation. “People should know the facts,” Keys told Time magazine. “Then if they want to eat themselves to death, let them.”

This apparent certainty was unwarranted: even some supporters of the fat hypothesis admitted that the evidence for it was still inconclusive. But Keys held a trump card. From 1958 to 1964, he and his fellow researchers gathered data on the diets, lifestyles and health of 12,770 middle-aged men, in Italy, Greece, Yugoslavia, Finland, Netherlands, Japan and the United States. The Seven Countries Study was finally published as a 211-page monograph in 1970. It showed a correlation between intake of saturated fats and deaths from heart disease, just as Keys had predicted. The scientific debate swung decisively behind the fat hypothesis.

John Yudkin’s scientific reputation had been all but sunk. He found himself uninvited from international conferences on nutrition. Research journals refused his papers. He was talked about by fellow scientists as an eccentric, a lone obsessive. Eventually, he became a scare story. Sheldon Reiser, one of the few researchers to continue working on the effects of refined carbohydrates and sugar through the 1970s, told Gary Taubes in 2011: “Yudkin was so discredited. He was ridiculed in a way. And anybody else who said something bad about sucrose [sugar], they’d say, ‘He’s just like Yudkin.’”

Professor John Yudkin retired from his post at Queen Elizabeth College in 1971, to write Pure, White and Deadly. The college reneged on a promise to allow him to continue to use its research facilities. It had hired a fully committed supporter of the fat hypothesis to replace him, and it was no longer deemed politic to have a prominent opponent of it on the premises. The man who had built the college’s nutrition department from scratch was forced to ask a solicitor to intervene. Eventually, a small room in a separate building was found for Yudkin.

When I asked Lustig why he was the first researcher in years to focus on the dangers of sugar, he answered: “John Yudkin. They took him down so severely – so severely – that nobody wanted to attempt it on their own.”

In a 2015 paper titled Does Science Advance One Funeral at a Time?, a team of scholars at the National Bureau of Economic Research sought an empirical basis for a remark made by the physicist Max Planck: “A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.”

The researchers identified more than 12,000 “elite” scientists from different fields. The criteria for elite status included funding, number of publications, and whether they were members of the National Academies of Science or the Institute of Medicine. Searching obituaries, the team found 452 who had died before retirement. They then looked to see what happened to the fields from which these celebrated scientists had unexpectedly departed, by analysing publishing patterns.

What they found confirmed the truth of Planck’s maxim. Junior researchers who had worked closely with the elite scientists, authoring papers with them, published less. At the same time, there was a marked increase in papers by newcomers to the field, who were less likely to cite the work of the deceased eminence. The articles by these newcomers were substantive and influential, attracting a high number of citations. They moved the whole field along.

A scientist is part of what the Polish philosopher of science Ludwik Fleck called a “thought collective”: a group of people exchanging ideas in a mutually comprehensible idiom. The group, suggested Fleck, inevitably develops a mind of its own, as the individuals in it converge on a way of communicating, thinking and feeling.

This makes scientific inquiry prone to the eternal rules of human social life: deference to the charismatic, herding towards majority opinion, punishment for deviance, and intense discomfort with admitting to error. Of course, such tendencies are precisely what the scientific method was invented to correct for, and over the long run, it does a good job of it. In the long run, however, we’re all dead, quite possibly sooner than we would be if we hadn’t been following a diet based on poor advice.

The UN’s Food and Agriculture Organisation, in a 2008 analysis of all studies of the low-fat diet, found “no probable or convincing evidence” that a high level of dietary fat causes heart disease or cancer. Another landmark review, published in 2010, in the American Society for Nutrition, and authored by, among others, Ronald Krauss, a highly respected researcher and physician at the University of California, stated “there is no significant evidence for concluding that dietary saturated fat is associated with an increased risk of CHD or CVD [coronary heart disease and cardiovascular disease]”.

Many nutritionists refused to accept these conclusions. The journal that published Krauss’s review, wary of outrage among its readers, prefaced it with a rebuttal by a former right-hand man of Ancel Keys, which implied that since Krauss’s findings contradicted every national and international dietary recommendation, they must be flawed. The circular logic is symptomatic of a field with an unusually high propensity for ignoring evidence that does not fit its conventional wisdom.

Imagine you know nothing about anything. You have been told to trust the scientists blindly. You now know this story: Do you still blindly trust scientists (from any field)? You would be crazy to do so. The fact is that scientists are also humans, having the same flaws.

Ivan Seeking said:
And trust issues involving all experts is a personal problem, not a scientific problem.
It is not a scientific problem, but it is not a personal problem either. It is a social problem. It involves more than one party. You cannot blame someone for not trusting you; you have the responsibility to earn the trust of others. It is not easy to gain and gaining it from one person doesn't mean all other persons must trust you as well.

Evo said:
Does the fact that you trust in that person make them correct?
Nope. It just means you trust them.
Evo said:
And why don't you trust the scientist that has a proven track record of honesty and accuracy, and been published and peer reviewed?
See the example above. This is assuming you can name a scientist, know his/her credentials, and know his/her peers. Most people have no clue about who are "the scientists" and what they actually do.
Evo said:
How does your lack of trust make them wrong?
It doesn't. It just means you don't trust them.
Averagesupernova said:
As in what reason do you have for not trusting?
See the example above. It takes only one mistake to lose the trust of others. But worst, science is almost always invoked by non-scientists, which are not necessarily trustworthy. Once trust in a third party is gone, since we don't know what differentiates one scientist from another, they are all put in the same basket. From a post I made in another thread:
jack action said:
Furthermore, I don't recall hearing the scientists, per say. There are always, journalists, politicians and other people to simplify (or even alter) radically the message between their mouths and my ears because, apparently, "the common man don't understand". People who often don't even have the scientific know-how more than the common man. People who have agendas of their own. I'm baffled by the fact that I have to hear the message about the environment from a 16-year-old girl that can only say "Listen to the science." Everybody knows her name. But who are those scientists? What are they really saying? I never saw a panel of these scientists on the news. I cannot even think of one name of a scientist who actually work in the field (not just a popular scientific journalist who reads lot of papers).

Likes Bystander
Bandersnatch said:
Jack (he may correct me if I'm misinterpreting) seems to be concerned about effective communication here. He tries to get into one's mind to pinpoint what does and doesn't work when trying to arrive at a view of reality everyone can agree with. He does not advocate the position of a crank. Rather, he wants you all to try and engage with the human holding it, instead of professing that it doesn't warrant your time. One can do the latter when there is little risk of damage to the society, i.e. when the crackpots are scarce in a population, but not when there is a looming risk.
Like, we probably shouldn't ignore pro-epidemics or the 'global warming is a hoax' crowd, but we can mostly ignore the moon landing hoaxers or the flat earthers (even that is debatable, considering the propensity for cross-fertilization among the conspiracy theories).
This issue has been affecting tangible political outcomes for a long time, long before Covid. So let's try and understand why other people might think what they think, without dismissing them as stupid. It's the only way to actually changing their minds.

The main point here is that once a person loses trust in an institution (for whatever reason, good or bad, including being manipulated), it makes little sense to try and convince them to change their mind by using the authority of the same group they no longer see as authoritative. This, I think, is what is being challenged, not whether the view of an expert is correct or not.
This is something that, as in the article posted above from McGill (which is hilarious!), explains the futility of trying to change the mind of someone that is misinformed, but is sure that misinformation is the truth.

We are not here to spend endless days, weeks, months, trying to sweetly encourage the people that have rejected the truth or refuse to even look at the truth. These are mostly circular arguments. There are sites that do that, I believe a link was provided in that same article.

What we at PF do is teach the sciences, as is currently accepted and used in order to help students and non-students wishing to find accurate material. We do not offer counseling to those that refuse to accept the science or what is known to be true in the world as we can at best qualify, we state that up front, if refuting this is your intention, you are on the wrong site. We just ask you to please take your discussions to the correct sites.

Likes PeroK, Bystander and hutchphd
Evo said:
What we at PF do is teach the sciences, as is currently accepted and used in order to help students and non-students wishing to find accurate material. We do not offer counseling to those that refuse to accept the science or what is known to be true in the world as we can at best qualify, we state that up front, if refuting this is your intention, you are on the wrong site. We just ask you to please take your discussions to the correct sites.
I've been on this forum long enough to know that a discussion on how to be an effective science communicator is not in breach of the rules and guidelines of the site.

Likes Bystander and jack action
I may be biased due to a close relationship to someone who was schizophrenic. The possibility to convince a person with that untreated or undertreated illness that a belief they hold is untrue no matter how much evidence you provide them is an exercise in futility.
-
I am generally a distrustful person. But I don't believe it is because I am nuts or whatever. I am just mindful that most people do not have my best interest in mind. However that does not mean that I believe those same people are out to get me, they are just apathetic towards me. This is generally the case in the world we live in. I suspect most people who easily buy into conspiracy theories also likely have delusions about themselves.

Likes hutchphd, Evo, Bystander and 1 other person
Evo said:
the article posted above from McGill (which is hilarious!), explains the futility of trying to change the mind of someone that is misinformed, but is sure that misinformation is the truth.
We haven't read the same article:
When the rest of us are confronted with these conspiratorial speculations, it’s very easy to resort to mockery, and when it happens to someone we know, the impulse to angrily shake them out of this nonsense can be hard to resist.

Ridiculing a close friend’s belief or calling them stupid and paranoid is unlikely to have the desired effect. So what works?
“You really have to tailor it [the conversation] to the individual, there’s no magic bullet that works for everybody,”
A helpful first step to move beyond this face-off may be to imagine both you and the conspiracist in your life as sitting side by side. This is not a debate; it’s a conversation where two people are looking at what’s in front of them, trying to make sense of it. The second step is in learning the virtue of shutting up first. “Listen to them,” Mick West told me, a crucial tip I have heard from multiple people over the years and that I recommend myself. “They will listen to you if you listen to them, if you give them some kind of respect for the fact that they have ideas.” No one enjoys being perceived as foolish or less than human. You may disagree with someone’s perception of the world but invalidating who they are as people because they believe in a grand conspiracy theory will probably not bear fruit.
The most common advice I have seen for this situation from therapists, anti-cult resource centres, and long-time debunkers like Mick West is to prioritize the relationship. “You can tell the person, hey, I don’t share your beliefs but I really value our friendship,” West explained to me, “and I would like to try to maintain our relationship, and we have other things in common that we can talk about, and other shared things we used to do.” If they keep bringing up this grand theory, it may be best not to take the bait and simply state that the two of you should hold off on discussing this for a few weeks.
Using empathy, avoiding confrontations, and keeping the dialogue going can help
Evo said:
We are not here to spend endless days, weeks, months, trying to sweetly encourage the people that have rejected the truth or refuse to even look at the truth.
I wasn't aware there was a time limit for discussions on PF. But I know that if one is not interested in a discussion (or can't handle it), one doesn't have to participate.
Evo said:
We just ask you to please take your discussions to the correct sites.
You mean you prefer people going to conspiracy theories websites - which will accept them with open arms - rather than stay on PF and get introduced to the scientific method? Being rejected by PF can only increase the distrust of these people towards the scientific community.
Averagesupernova said:
I may be biased due to a close relationship to someone who was schizophrenic.
This is an extreme case. Most people who believe in conspiracy theories are not mentally ill. Those are the people you can - and want - to reach.

jack action said:
This is an extreme case. Most people who believe in conspiracy theories are not mentally ill. Those are the people you can - and want - to reach.
What makes you think they want to know the truth? I have seen no evidence supporting that. That is why they reject a world of information and opt to believe something easily debunked 99% of the time. You can present the best information from the most reputable sources and it will be rejected out of hand without a second thought if it suggests anything they don't want to believe.

Likes Evo, berkeman, pinball1970 and 1 other person
Ivan Seeking said:
What makes you think they want to know the truth? I have seen no evidence supporting that. That is why they reject a world of information and opt to believe something easily debunked 99% of the time. You can present the best information from the most reputable sources and it will be rejected out of hand without a second thought if it suggests anything they don't want to believe.
It is not about being right or wrong. It is about reaching out to people. Let us repeat the important messages until they sink in:
Being told your favourite conspiracy theory is dumb, dangerous and nonsensical is unlikely to bring you to your senses. Them’s fighting words.
When the rest of us are confronted with these conspiratorial speculations, it’s very easy to resort to mockery, and when it happens to someone we know, the impulse to angrily shake them out of this nonsense can be hard to resist.

Ridiculing a close friend’s belief or calling them stupid and paranoid is unlikely to have the desired effect.
They will listen to you if you listen to them, if you give them some kind of respect for the fact that they have ideas.” No one enjoys being perceived as foolish or less than human.
And my favorite quote from the article:
This is not a debate; it’s a conversation where two people are looking at what’s in front of them, trying to make sense of it.
Are you listening to what I'm saying? It is no about changing other people, it is about changing your attitude towards other people.

I'm not debating with you, therefore you never going to win anything. It's a conversation.

Do you really think Joe Smith really believes the Earth is flat? He doesn't care. Joe Smith can believe the Earth is in the shape of a giraffe, it won't change anything in Joe Smith's day-to-day life. What he's telling us is that he doesn't want someone telling him how to think. Especially being told that it must be that way because he cannot think right; he's somehow less than a human being.

And if Joe Smith reaches out to you (say on PF), that means he's ready to have a conversation with you. Sure, he will test you, but if you fail the test and you reject him, he may be insulted and he may go somewhere else. Somewhere where you are not. You say you are a scientist, he may hang out with people who say they are not; because now, he doesn't trust scientists.

That is a toxic relationship that leads us nowhere. Smart people break that cycle. They reach out to the other side. They always keep the dialog open.

It has nothing to do with the "Truth".

@jack action
A flat earther for instance in this day and age is in my opinion suffering from a learning disability or has a mental illness. Not liking to be told how to think is one thing, but preferring that over being correct is a sickness.

• Skeptical
Likes jack action
Ivan Seeking said:
The poster who now has a ban went from 911 to MRNA quite quickly.
Like flat earthers, those conspiracy theorists believe there is conspiracy FIRST, then they find the evidence that agrees with that stance and look to counter the evidence that does not agree.

If they have critical thinking skills they chose not to use them.

Likes Evo and BillTre
jack action said:
Joe Smith can believe the Earth is in the shape of a giraffe, it won't change anything in Joe Smith's day-to-day life.
But if Joe believes The COVID vaccine is bogus it will directly affect himself and indirectly affect everyone else. As a society we have evolved methods to identify truth. The strength of the USA has historically been that our truths are basically scientific. The founding fathers were well populated with scientists.
Joe Smith's magical thinking should not be considered OK.

Likes Evo, fluidistic and PeroK
Averagesupernova said:
@jack action
A flat earther for instance in this day and age is in my opinion suffering from a learning disability or has a mental illness. Not liking to be told how to think is one thing, but preferring that over being correct is a sickness.
Or they want the conspiracy to be true. Why they would want a conspiracy to be true comes down to other things mentioned, like distrust of authority, establishment and the Scientific community and government Science advisors are part of that

Likes Evo, jack action and hutchphd
pinball1970 said:
The poster who now has a ban went from 911 to MRNA quite quickly.
Ah yes, the whatabouts. If you present indisputable facts debunking one nonsense claim, they will quickly change the subject to "whatabout X" where X is some other crackpot claim. They never acknowledge being proven wrong and will turn around and make the same argument tomorrow.

Likes pinball1970, Evo and hutchphd
It’s also,frankly, an issue of character and morality. It’s not an innocent mistake to believe the Holocaust did not occur - there is an agenda behind the belief

Likes Ivan Seeking, Evo, fluidistic and 5 others
BWV said:
It’s also,frankly, an issue of character and morality. It’s not an innocent mistake to believe the Holocaust did not occur - there is an agenda behind the belief

Exactly. That's why I don't completely endorse "Hanlon's razor"

...never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

There certainly are plenty of people whose brains just are incapable of certain kinds of reasoning, such as following a mathematical proof. But the sort of people who believe in conspiracy theories are not simply those who have inadequate reasoning skills. There is almost always an agenda behind the choice to believe or not believe something.

Likes pinball1970, Ivan Seeking and Evo
stevendaryl said:
But the sort of people who believe in conspiracy theories are not simply those who have inadequate reasoning skills. There is almost always an agenda behind the choice to believe or not believe something.
But that choice to believe is, in my humble opinion, often driven by
(1) a need for definiteness and
(2) an inability to recognize and deal with the true complexity of reality
These are advanced reasoning skills.

F. Scott Fitzgerald said it best (in Gatsby)
"The truest sign of intelligence is the ability to entertain two contradictory ideas simultaneously."

"You can't fix stoopid" remains my fallback position

Averagesupernova said:
@jack action
Shaquille O'Neal, the famous basketball player, was traveling by bus with his team through Kansas. On board the bus was a news paper reporter and there was some discussion of conspiracy theories. The reporter asked Shaq, "Do you believe the Earth is flat?" Shaq, in his wisdom, quietly looked out the window for a few seconds then said, "That s**t be flat."

• Haha
Likes Keith_McClary, pinball1970 and hutchphd
hutchphd said:
Joe Smith's magical thinking should not be considered OK.
I never even proposed that idea. I just said that Joe Smith should not be isolated nor excluded. If someone thinks that by simply ignoring Joe Smith, he will disappear ... well, that is also magical thinking.

Likes hutchphd
All I know is this: however bad our western, democratic governments may be; and, however much the science we have may be flawed; that is nothing compared to the misery, oppression and injustice that would result if the conspiracy theorists were ever in charge.

For example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctors'_plot

Likes pinball1970, hutchphd, Ivan Seeking and 2 others
I think what we 'do' with these people depends on the conspiracy. I have an acquaintance/friend who seems to buy into a lot of the conspiracies that are going around today. He buys into the 'dirty electricity' thing which involves smart meters. He also says he wishes he knew half of what his dad taught him about electricity which he has forgotten and calls on me for help with various electrical issues ranging from automotive to residential wiring. Had to ask me how to wire two six volt batteries in order to get 12 volts. This guy thinks he has a right to form an opinion on these smart meters. I will take time to try to educate him about smart meters, likely a pointless effort. But when it comes to vaccinations, masks, conspiracies floating around about Covid, he was on his own. Same thing, likely pointless to try to inform him. So why should I risk my health spending the time to inform someone who doesn't want to be informed especially considering the information available publicly. If he croaks from it, so be it. He has not been vaccinated last I knew.

• Wow
Likes pinball1970, Evo, Ivan Seeking and 1 other person
Bandersnatch said:
I've been on this forum long enough to know that a discussion on how to be an effective science communicator is not in breach of the rules and guidelines of the site.
Oh, I was not directing my comment to "you". You were quoting things jack had said and I was speaking to why we don't have these open ended discussions!

I feel terrible that you thought I was speaking to you! :redface: