Creating an Egg-Carrying Device Without a Parachute

In summary, the conversation discusses ideas for constructing an egg carrying device for an egg drop project with the restriction of not using a parachute. Suggestions include using pillows or household items as cushioning for the egg, and encouraging creativity and experimentation in the design process.
CameronG
I have to make an egg carrying device for and egg drop project.
The only restriction is i am not aloud to use a parachute.

any good ideas?
Thanks,
-Cameron

Physics news on Phys.org
Dude,
Why don't you tell us *your* ideas.

There are PLENTY of ways to do this. I would bind the egg between two pillows as a first idea. Perhaps you could try putting it in a container that's cushioned with a household item?

Don't copy me exactly though. I'm only mentioning things to get you thinking. Like I said, there are many ways to do this. Be creative and have fun with this!

Related to Creating an Egg-Carrying Device Without a Parachute

1. How do you create an egg-carrying device without a parachute?

To create an egg-carrying device without a parachute, you will need a few materials such as rubber bands, paper, straws, and a plastic cup. First, create a frame using the straws and secure it with the rubber bands. Then attach a paper "parachute" to the frame using more rubber bands. Finally, place the plastic cup on top of the frame to hold the egg.

2. Will the egg survive the fall without a parachute?

It depends on how well you construct the egg-carrying device. If the frame is sturdy and the paper parachute provides enough air resistance, the egg has a higher chance of surviving the fall without a parachute. However, there is still a risk of the egg breaking upon impact.

3. What are some tips for making a successful egg-carrying device?

Some tips for making a successful egg-carrying device include using lightweight materials, making sure the egg is securely held in place, and testing the device at different heights before attempting a higher drop. It is also helpful to have a backup device in case the first one fails.

4. How does air resistance affect the egg's fall?

Air resistance is the force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. When the egg-carrying device falls, the larger surface area of the paper parachute creates more air resistance, slowing down the fall and reducing the impact force on the egg.

5. Can this experiment be done without breaking the egg?

There is always a risk of the egg breaking during this experiment, but it is possible to decrease the chances by carefully constructing and testing the device. Alternatively, you can use a hard-boiled egg instead of a raw one to ensure it does not break upon impact.