Create a car to pick up a ballon, travel a distance, and pop it

In summary, the goal is to create a vehicle that can travel 6 feet, pick up a balloon, return to the starting point, and pop the balloon using only mousetraps for power. The proposed solution involves using a string to wind up a second mousetrap and release it, but there are concerns about controlling the car's movement and stopping at the balloon. Suggestions include using two mousetraps for power and converting the spring's energy into rotational energy for the wheels. There is also a discussion about the use of ebonics in the conversation.
jet55

Homework Statement

We need to create a vehicle that will travel 6 feet, pick up a ballon, bring it back to the start, and then pop the balloon.
For power we need to use mousetraps. We cannot modify the balloon, only the car.

The Attempt at a Solution

We have thought of using a string to wind up the second mouse trap and than having it release to go back. We are unsure of what to do otherwise.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
6 feet is a good distance, do you think 1 mouse trap on either side will provide sufficient power?

Depending on the weight of the car, I think two mousetraps should be plenty to get it 6ft and back. You just have to figure out a way to convert the energy in the spring into rotational energy. Another big problem is how do you get it to stop once it gets to the balloon?

Into rotational energy? The mouse trap pretty much does that by itself. Did you mean translational kinetic energy?

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Into rotational energy? The mouse trap pretty much does that by itself. Did you mean translational kinetic energy?

Well, I meant rotation of the wheels

Ahh my bad.

jet55 you really need to thrown out some idea of your own, otherwise it just looks like you are asking us to do it for you.

phinds said:
jet55 you really need to thrown out some idea of your own, otherwise it just looks like you are asking us to do it for you.

Word yo

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Word yo

I have no idea what "word yo" means. Please speak English.

haha. It's how you concur in ebonics. So technically it is almost english =P

And that equals sign capital p is a computer generated person sticking his tongue out. (Just giving you a hard time phinds) =]

I don't mind the hard time, just do it in English.

Related to Create a car to pick up a ballon, travel a distance, and pop it

1. How can a car pick up a balloon?

A car can pick up a balloon by using a robotic arm or a suction device.

2. What type of propulsion system is needed for the car to travel a distance?

The car can use either a conventional engine or an electric motor for propulsion.

3. How can the car pop the balloon?

The car can be equipped with a sharp object or a mechanism such as a sharp wheel to pop the balloon as it moves towards it.

4. How can the car be controlled to pick up the balloon and pop it?

The car can be controlled remotely using a controller or programmed to follow a specific path using sensors and programming.

5. What type of materials should be used to build the car?

The car can be built using lightweight and durable materials such as aluminum, carbon fiber, or plastic to ensure efficient movement and durability.