What materials should I use for my mousetrap car? (Already have precise design)

In summary, for the belt pulley system, you can use aluminum or nylon pulleys and a timing belt pulley for the larger one. For the lever arm, aluminum is a good choice. Polyurethane wheels are recommended for low rotational inertia. Nylon string is the best for attaching to the axle, and you should choose steel or aluminum axles depending on your vehicle. Strong helical torsion springs can be purchased from a hardware store or online for a powerful mousetrap.
Incognitum
I already have a specific design in mind. However, I'm not sure what to use as materials for some of the parts. Not allowed to use kits of any sort.

Components that need material suggestions:

Belt Pulley System -- Two pulleys, one smaller (1-2 inch diameter), and one larger (5-6 inch diameter)

Lever Arm -- Light and strong.

Wheels -- (1-1.5 foot diameter), low rotational inertia.

Also, what type of string is best for attaching to the axle? What size axles are most convenient i.e. ease connecting with other parts, and efficient? What is the strongest mousetrap, or where can I purchase strong helical torsion springs? Attempting to make a vehicle that travels over 250 feet; I need the best possible materials. Any additional relevant information is welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
Belt Pulley System: The pulleys can be made of aluminum or nylon. For the larger pulley, you could also use a timing belt pulley to ensure it runs smoothly. Lever Arm: Aluminum is a good option for a light and strong lever arm. It is also relatively cheap and easy to work with. Wheels: Polyurethane wheels are a good choice for low rotational inertia. They provide good traction and durability. You can purchase them in various sizes (1-1.5 foot diameter).String: Nylon string is the best choice for attaching to the axle. Nylon is strong and flexible, making it ideal for this application.Axles: Steel or aluminum axles are recommended, depending on the type of vehicle you are making. Steel is stronger but heavier, while aluminum is lighter but less durable. You should choose an axle that is compatible with the parts you are using.Strong Mousetrap: You can purchase strong helical torsion springs from your local hardware store or online. These springs are usually made from steel and can be used to create a powerful mousetrap.

Related to What materials should I use for my mousetrap car? (Already have precise design)

What materials should I use for my mousetrap car?

The materials you use for your mousetrap car will depend on your design and the specifications of your project. However, there are some common materials that are often used in mousetrap cars, including:

• Wood or cardboard for the main body of the car
  • Wheels and axles made from plastic, wooden dowels, or CDs
  • A mousetrap for the power source
  • String or fishing line for the drive system
  • Glue, tape, and other adhesives to hold everything together

What type of wood is best for a mousetrap car?

The type of wood you use for your mousetrap car will depend on your design and personal preference. Some common options include balsa wood, basswood, and pine. These types of wood are lightweight, easy to work with, and relatively inexpensive. However, you can also use other types of wood if they are available to you.

Can I use metal for my mousetrap car?

While metal may seem like a strong and durable material for a mousetrap car, it is not recommended. Metal is heavy and can add unnecessary weight to your car, making it harder to move. It can also be more difficult to work with and may require special tools and techniques. Stick to lightweight materials like wood and plastic for your mousetrap car.

Do I need to use specific wheels for my mousetrap car?

The type of wheels you use for your mousetrap car will depend on your design and the surface you will be racing on. For smooth surfaces, plastic or CD wheels will work well. For rougher surfaces, you may want to use larger wheels with more traction. You can also experiment with different sizes and shapes of wheels to see what works best for your car.

Can I make modifications to my mousetrap car after it has been built?

Yes, you can make modifications to your mousetrap car after it has been built. In fact, it is recommended to test and make adjustments to your car before the final race. You can try different materials, adjust the placement of the wheels and axles, or change the length of the string to see how it affects the performance of your car.