Mousetrap Car Calculation Guide

In summary, the student attempted to solve for the car's top speed and fastest velocity, using average acceleration and net force calculations.
Tnguyen33
For my physics class, I did a mousetrap car and we were supposed to calculate some answer, and I would just like to know if I did my work right. Sorry, I know this is a lot of work.

Homework Statement

1. Calculate your mousetrap car’s average speed.
2. Calculate the fastest velocity of your racer over the 8 meter distance.
3. Calculate the average acceleration of the car as the string unwinds.
4. Calculate the net force acting on the car as it accelerates.
5. Calculate the frictional force (Fk) slowing the car down.
6. Calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction µk for wheels on the floor.
7. Using the net force from step #4, calculate the work done by the spring as the string unwinds.
8. Calculate the power generated by the car as the string unwinds.
9. Calculate the kinetic energy of the car at its highest velocity.
10. Calculate the work done by the frictional force to bring the car to a stop after it reaches its highest velocity from step #2.

Data:
total displacement=7.24m, total time=9s,
time the string unwind(acceleration)=7s, distance accelerated=4.72m,
time required to stop=2s, distance required to stop=2.52m
mass=0.170kg

The attempt at a solution

1. I just did the speed formula of distance/time giving me 0.804m/s
2. I solved for acceleration Δx=Vit+1/2at² (4.72=1/2a7²) so a=.193m/s².
Then I used the average acceleration formula for a=(Vf-Vi)/Δt to get 0.193=(Vf-0)/7 Vf=1.35m/s
3. Gotten from #2 a=.193m/s²
4. ∑F=MA →∑F=(0.170)(.193)→∑F=.03281N
5. I used the deceleration for this so a=(Vf-Vi)/Δt, I plugged in a=(0-1.35)/2 getting the deceleration of -0.675m/s²
Fk=MA→Fk=(0.170)(0.675)→Fk=0.115N
6. µk=Fk/Fn, Fn in this case would equal mass×gravity so µk=0.115/(0.170)(9.8) getting µk=0.069
7.∑F=Fspring-Fk→ .03281=Fspring-0.115 →Fspring=0.1478N.
Wspring=Fs×Δx→ Ws=0.1478×4.72 →Ws=0.698J
8. Pavg=∑W/t Since this work requires Fk, I included it getting Pavg=0.155/7→ Pavg=0.0221W
9. KE=1/2mv²→ KE=1/2×0.170×1.35²→ KE=0.155J
10. I believe that in this case Fk would be the same as Kinetic Energy as Fk need to stop that KE but Wk=Fk×Δx → Wk=0.155×2.52→ Wk=.391J

Physics news on Phys.org
Tnguyen33 said:
For my physics class, I did a mousetrap car and we were supposed to calculate some answer, and I would just like to know if I did my work right. Sorry, I know this is a lot of work.

Homework Statement

1. Calculate your mousetrap car’s average speed.
2. Calculate the fastest velocity of your racer over the 8 meter distance.
3. Calculate the average acceleration of the car as the string unwinds.
4. Calculate the net force acting on the car as it accelerates.
5. Calculate the frictional force (Fk) slowing the car down.
6. Calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction µk for wheels on the floor.
7. Using the net force from step #4, calculate the work done by the spring as the string unwinds.
8. Calculate the power generated by the car as the string unwinds.
9. Calculate the kinetic energy of the car at its highest velocity.
10. Calculate the work done by the frictional force to bring the car to a stop after it reaches its highest velocity from step #2.

Data:
total displacement=7.24m, total time=9s,
time the string unwind(acceleration)=7s, distance accelerated=4.72m,
time required to stop=2s, distance required to stop=2.52m
mass=0.170kg

The attempt at a solution

1. I just did the speed formula of distance/time giving me 0.804m/s
The average speed is the total distance traveled divided by the total time spent on the journey - this is 7.24m/9s = 0.824m/s
When you show working for this sort of thing, make sure you say which distances and times you use.

2. I solved for acceleration Δx=Vit+1/2at² (4.72=1/2a7²) so a=.193m/s².
Then I used the average acceleration formula for a=(Vf-Vi)/Δt to get 0.193=(Vf-0)/7 Vf=1.35m/s
... the question seems to suggest that you don't need the average acceleration to find the top speed.
Assuming constant acceleration in the accelerating stage, you can use ##d=\frac{1}{2}vT##, check that number for the decelerating stage - since you know the distance traveled in each stage.
This formula is easily obtained from a v-t diagram, so you should sketch one.
From there use the average acceleration definition to get #3.

4 is OK. In 5, the "deceleration" is the negative of the acceleration ... you gave the deceleration as a negative number so the car must have been speeding up?
I don't think that is what you mean. It is porfectly sensible to say the car is accelerating when it is slowing down: it's the difference between the technical term and the common one.
For most of those, just check you used the correct numbers ...
10. Careful what you say: force and energy are different things so the force cannot be equal to the kinetic energy, which is what you said. The work done by friction, bringing the car to rest, is equal to the kinetic energy though ... well done.

I think you mostly just need to be a bit more careful.

Thank you, that was exactly what I needed.

Related to Mousetrap Car Calculation Guide

1. How do I calculate the potential energy of a mousetrap?

The potential energy of a mousetrap can be calculated by multiplying the force of the spring by the distance the spring is compressed. This can be represented by the equation: PE = 1/2 kx^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the distance the spring is compressed.

2. What is the relationship between the spring constant and the force of a mousetrap?

The spring constant, represented by k, is a measure of the stiffness of the spring. It is directly proportional to the force of the spring, meaning that as the spring constant increases, the force of the spring also increases.

3. How do I determine the work done by a mousetrap?

The work done by a mousetrap is equal to the change in potential energy. This can be calculated by subtracting the final potential energy from the initial potential energy. The work done is represented by the equation: W = PEf - PEi.

4. What factors can affect the calculations for a mousetrap?

The calculations for a mousetrap can be affected by a variety of factors, including the type and strength of the spring used, the distance the spring is compressed, and any external forces acting on the trap (such as friction or air resistance).

5. How can I use mousetrap calculations to improve the efficiency of my mousetrap car?

Mousetrap calculations can be used to determine the optimal distance to compress the spring and the maximum potential energy that can be stored in the spring. By adjusting these variables, you can increase the efficiency and performance of your mousetrap car.