Crazy things Creationists have said

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, this conversation between two coworkers was about a Young Earth Creationist/Intelligent Design believer relating a recent conversation he had with a 'non-believer.' The believer claims that there is no such thing as evolution, that dinosaurs were made out of bones, that the Earth is only 7,000 years old, and that the universe is only 12,000 ly wide. The non-believer pointed out that there are people who believe in these things irrationally, and the believer said that it's those who take things to the extreme who are the problem.
Moridin said:
Again, individual scientists may be religious, but that does not in any way translates to science being a religion or even related to it.

Moridin, what we are arguing about is the difference between what science can be for the people and what people can be for the science.

Consider high school students that for the first time in their lives learn about all these exciting theories, to them science can be a religion: you start reading all about it and start philosophizing about the implications. You take facts of science and in a sense make it your own personal religion. I've been to popular science lectures of Brian Greene. What is presented is not science, but a popular version of it that mostly is highly philosophical.

People are for the science is that we must scrutinize every detail and test models and come up with evidence. A lecture in this area is one that you would expect at a conference.

So the first example does not say anything about the method of science, but what people do with the information that they are presented.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
I think only people already on "your side" will respond well to arrogance and rudeness.

Moridin said:
Unless you are pro-ID / Creationist, my side is your side. The general public does not tend to response with arrogance and rudeness? I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. Or was it an attempt to attack prominent critics of Intelligent Design?

Sarcasm is designed to identify fellow members of your own group (identifiable by "getting the joke" and laughing at it). Identifying and grouping with your own kind is a very handy skill, which makes sarcasm a very common response.

I'd use some care in how you use it though. Using such obscure sarcasm that members of your own group don't even get the joke results in separating you from your group rather than uniting you with your group. For example, if you respond to a flight attendant's statement, "We'll be landing in Chicago momentarily", with mock fear, "Will we have time to get off!??", 98.7% (of the 23 people on the plane with you) will think you're an idiot. Somewhere in the back of the head of the 23rd person, the realization that you're referring to the flight attendant's misuse of 'momentarily' is beginning to sink in, but he'll be sitting on his next plane before he laughs, which does you absolutely no good.

If you're going to use sarcasm as a recruiting tool, you need to use even more care. The sarcasm has to be an invitation to membership in your group, which means it has to be understandable even to non-members. It also has to be enjoyable enough that the prospective new member will join your group just for the opportunity to use such a prime sarcastic comment themselves. There's a few of those, comments so choice that you'd be tempted to become a devil worshipper just to use that comment in a conversation, but not many, so you face a tough challenge if you're using sarcasm as a recruiting tool.

Also refrain from the common mistake many teenagers make when first learning to use sarcasm. Don't roll your eyes unless there's actually a member of your group present. Communicating with imaginary friends just annoys people, especially if they don't have as many as you do. It just rubs in how unpopular they are and makes them want to go sulk rather join your group.

Edit: Also, never use sarcasm that might backfire on you. Dick Cavett's comment, "Are we boring you, Mr Rodale?" lost a lot of its effectiveness when it was discovered that Jerome Irving Rodale, a pioneer of organic farming, had died right there on Dick Cavett's stage. The obvious answer was, "Yes. In fact, you bored poor Mr. Rodale to death, Mr. Cavett." (off topic, but a funny moment in TV history).

Last edited:
Moridin said:
Again, individual scientists may be religious, but that does not in any way translates to science being a religion or even related to it.

hmm...

Do you have 'faith' in Einstein's theories?

or

Do you 'believe' (have a belief) in his theories?

rewebster said:
hmm...

Do you have 'faith' in Einstein's theories?

or

Do you 'believe' (have a belief) in his theories?

I debunked that argument here.

Moridin said:
I debunked that argument here.

well, that's an interesting post, but it really didn't answer my specific questions about your viewpoint of Einstein's theories. do you believe (accept) in them?--or have faith (absolute truth) in them? ...or?

rewebster said:
well, that's an interesting post, but it really didn't answer my specific questions about your viewpoint of Einstein's theories. do you believe (accept) in them?--or have faith (absolute truth) in them? ...or?

I certainly do not think that they represent absolute truth, but I accept them (the ones that are valid approximations) as a relevant approximation having a high degree of certainty in certain areas with well-defined error bars, supported by scientific evidence, that gets better and better (or discarded for better approximations) as more data is collected.

BobG said:
Sarcasm is designed to identify fellow members of your own group (identifiable by "getting the joke" and laughing at it). Identifying and grouping with your own kind is a very handy skill, which makes sarcasm a very common response.

I'd use some care in how you use it though. Using such obscure sarcasm that members of your own group don't even get the joke results in separating you from your group rather than uniting you with your group. For example, if you respond to a flight attendant's statement, "We'll be landing in Chicago momentarily", with mock fear, "Will we have time to get off!??", 98.7% (of the 23 people on the plane with you) will think you're an idiot. Somewhere in the back of the head of the 23rd person, the realization that you're referring to the flight attendant's misuse of 'momentarily' is beginning to sink in, but he'll be sitting on his next plane before he laughs, which does you absolutely no good.

If you're going to use sarcasm as a recruiting tool, you need to use even more care. The sarcasm has to be an invitation to membership in your group, which means it has to be understandable even to non-members. It also has to be enjoyable enough that the prospective new member will join your group just for the opportunity to use such a prime sarcastic comment themselves. There's a few of those, comments so choice that you'd be tempted to become a devil worshipper just to use that comment in a conversation, but not many, so you face a tough challenge if you're using sarcasm as a recruiting tool.

Also refrain from the common mistake many teenagers make when first learning to use sarcasm. Don't roll your eyes unless there's actually a member of your group present. Communicating with imaginary friends just annoys people, especially if they don't have as many as you do. It just rubs in how unpopular they are and makes them want to go sulk rather join your group.

Edit: Also, never use sarcasm that might backfire on you. Dick Cavett's comment, "Are we boring you, Mr Rodale?" lost a lot of its effectiveness when it was discovered that Jerome Irving Rodale, a pioneer of organic farming, had died right there on Dick Cavett's stage. The obvious answer was, "Yes. In fact, you bored poor Mr. Rodale to death, Mr. Cavett." (off topic, but a funny moment in TV history).
:smile: Bob, that's a great post!

Moridin said:
I certainly do not think that they represent absolute truth, but I accept them (the ones that are valid approximations) as a relevant approximation having a high degree of certainty in certain areas with well-defined error bars, supported by scientific evidence, that gets better and better (or discarded for better approximations) as more data is collected.

Well, that's all I was getting to also. Certain things are 'accepted' by certain people in both areas (science and religion). Both areas (science and religion) came about trying to 'explain' things, were intermingled by most for thousands of years, and they still are by some. Both use the 'what if...' scenario (Einstein: what if you could ride a beam of light? and religion: what if god (the gods?) created light?). Both have a fantasy level in a lot of ways--how can we create a wormhole? or how can we create a 'perfect' world?

According to your answer (as a believer in GRT/SRT--"but I accept them")--then how do you integrate that Einstein believed in God at the same time?

rewebster said:
According to your answer (as a believer in GRT/SRT--"but I accept them")--then how do you integrate that Einstein believed in God at the same time?
Einstein didn't believe in a god, he was agnostic.

rewebster said:
Well, that's all I was getting to also. Certain things are 'accepted' by certain people in both areas (science and religion). Both areas (science and religion) came about trying to 'explain' things, were intermingled by most for thousands of years, and they still are by some. Both use the 'what if...' scenario (Einstein: what if you could ride a beam of light? and religion: what if god (the gods?) created light?). Both have a fantasy level in a lot of ways--how can we create a wormhole? or how can we create a 'perfect' world?

And both science and religion has an 'e', a 'n' and an 'i' in them. Does that makes them related in a meaningful way? The thing you mention is a though experiment and a conversational trick only. Of course science is about asking questions and pushing the frontier of science. I advice you to go over the general characteristics of a religion I posted in my first post in this topic and think about how and if they apply to science, individual scientists or high school students.

Tentatively accepting Einsteinian Theory of Relativity because of its evidence has nothing to do with what Einstein did or did not ultimately believe.

Evo said:
Einstein didn't believe in a god, he was agnostic.

then, why did he evoke 'god' in some of the things he said then, if he didn't have 'some' belief in a 'god' at the times he said those things?

rewebster said:
then, why did he evoke 'god' in some of the things he said then, if he didn't have 'some' belief in a 'god' at the times he said those things?

For humorous or literary reasons ,like "God doesn't play dice".
Or the same reason I say "Oh God" when I hit my thumb not "Oh quantum fluctuation in the zero point energy"

rewebster said:
He's been misquoted by those that wish to portray him as believing.

“It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.”

Albert Einstein, in a letter March 24, 1954; from Albert Einstein the Human Side, Helen Dukas and Banesh Hoffman, eds., Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton University Press, 1981, p. 43.

“My position concerning God is that of an agnostic. I am convinced that a vivid consciousness of the primary importance of moral principles for the betterment and ennoblement of life does not need the idea of a law-giver, especially a law-giver who works on the basis of reward and punishment.”

Albert Einstein in a letter to M. Berkowitz, October 25, 1950; Einstein Archive 59-215; from Alice Calaprice, ed., The Expanded Quotable Einstein, Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton University Press, 2000, p. 216.

Moridin said:
Tentatively accepting Einsteinian Theory of Relativity because of its evidence has nothing to do with what Einstein did or did not ultimately believe.

And that's the way that 'some' have a 'belief' in religion too.

They may think-- "I'll believe this part of it (science-relativity/religion) until it is (definitely) proven to be wrong" ---because it works for me (right now) and until it is proven (/definitely wrong) I'll keep believing it."

mgb_phys said:
For humorous or literary reasons ,like "God doesn't play dice".
Or the same reason I say "Oh God" when I hit my thumb not "Oh quantum fluctuation in the zero point energy"

(and Evo's)

hmm---that well may be, but still by saying such things such as the the 'dice' thing, still puts the 'idea' that it was/could have been in his consciousness as a verbal idea of his underlining ideas. He could have easily used a different phrase to convey the idea---the phrase seems that it was relevant to him in some way.

--Who knows, could it have been a Freudian slip?

-------------------------------

do 'true' agnostics evoke god or his power?

Last edited:

They may think-- "I'll believe this part of it (science-relativity/religion) until it is (definitely) proven to be wrong" ---because it works for me (right now) and until it is proven (/definitely wrong) I'll keep believing it."

The problem is that supernaturalism is not supported by conclusive evidence, whereas Einsteinian relativity most certainly is. Furthermore, science has a a posteriori methodology and epistemology, whereas most forms of supernaturalism lack all three of them.

Also, a lot of supernaturalistic beliefs are dogmatic in the sense that they do not encourage questioning of earlier models and does not have such a powerful method of self-correction as science has.

There is the equivocation fallacy again. 'Belief' is an ambiguous term. They may be convicted of their supernaturalistic beliefs, but they are not evidence-based.

Moridin said:
The problem is that supernaturalism is not supported by conclusive evidence, whereas Einsteinian relativity most certainly is. Furthermore, science has a a posteriori methodology and epistemology, whereas most forms of supernaturalism lack all three of them.

Also, a lot of supernaturalistic beliefs are dogmatic in the sense that they do not encourage questioning of earlier models and does not have such a powerful method of self-correction as science has.

There is the equivocation fallacy again. 'Belief' is an ambiguous term. They may be convicted of their supernaturalistic beliefs, but they are not evidence-based.

and that's the problem--the deeper you dig and question, the more that becomes ambiguous. The medium level stuff in science is supported. Foundation/fundamental ideas/concepts are "accepted" and are not proven or substantiated yet. And that's where religion mostly falls, to the idea that most can't be substantiated, but some still are looked at some things on a scientific level by some, and can't be not disproven-(paraphrasing the Green's statement about time travel).

--------------------------------------
It follows that:
So if you 'believe' Brian Green, you also 'believe' that there is a god.

---------------------
I've got to go--I'll be back momentarily.

Last edited:
BobG said:

I second what Evo said: great post.

Moridin said:
I advice you to go over the general characteristics of a religion I posted in my first post in this topic and think about how and if they apply to science, individual scientists or high school students.

The problem you have with Monique's assertion results from your insistence on applying rigorous definitions in a conversation that most of the rest of us understand to be casual.

Monique said:
The guy is correct on some points that in some ways science is a religion as well...

It's not clear to me why you're so uncomfortable with what the rest of us automatically understand to be a loose, casual manner of speaking whose meaning is never-the-less clear.

Let me ask you: if someone says "I'm so hungry I could eat a horse!" does it fill you with discomfort, and prompt you to logically parse and refute the assertion?

I suggest you read the first chapter of the second book of Feynman's autobiographical sketches, "What Do You Care What Other People Think?" in which he relates the very casual manner in which his father used to impart good, basic scientific principles to him using examples whose details were made up on the spot and technically inaccurate. Lay in a stock of extra fuses before you do so, though. You may need to change quite a few of them.

I'd point out that the original post referred to the beliefs of a specific religious group, not religions in general. Even among different Christian religions, there's wide variations in how science/religion overlap or interact.

If you're talking about science and religion in general, I'd say the simplified answer is that science is a response to a desire to understand the universe while religion is a response to a desire that the universe have meaning. Science doesn't require there to be any meaning associated with the universe. Religion doesn't require that the meaning of the universe be understandable, just that some meaning exists. I imagine that there are a lot of people that would like to do both and consider the first a prerequisite for understanding the second.

Considering them separately, science is willing to accept (at least temporarily) an iterative solution that's approximately correct, especially if each iteration yields a more exact solution. Most scientists would accept the fact that the universe has no meaning, even though quite a few might think it nice if it did.

It becomes almost imperative to many religious groups that there be an analytical solution to the universe - sometimes* so imperative that the 'equation' becomes more important than the reality the 'equation' is designed to describe. Meaning is attached to the relationship between variables. Meaning so important that any failure of the 'equation' to describe reality has to be chalked up to poor laboratory techniques. (* sometimes, because some religions do manage to make clarifications that bring their religious beliefs closer to observed realities).

I don't think an iterative solution excludes meaning from being attached to relationships (in fact, science couldn't understand the universe without understanding how things are related), but that approach seems to be very difficult for organized religions to take. It suggests that religious leaders don't necessarily know what they're talking about and that followers don't necessarily have to believe or do what they're told. That type of attitude makes life as challenging for religious leaders as it does for political leaders. In fact, there's probably a much larger similarity between religions and political parties than there is between religion and science.

That's obviously a gross over simplification of the relationship between science and religion (Leo Kronecker would like it, though), plus that analogy completely glosses over at least one problem: In the Bible, Jesus seems fascinated by circles, yet pi was obviously invented by the devil.

I'm having horse for lunch and pi for dessert.

zoobyshoe said:
Let me ask you: if someone says "I'm so hungry I could eat a horse!" does it fill you with discomfort, and prompt you to logically parse and refute the assertion?

It does if the person just watched someone else actually eating a complete horse. Ken Hovind, the speaker in the video, actively believe that science is a religion, point blank in the vulgar, classical sense. In any case, I understood that I may have been too fast in pulling a standard refutation. I freely confess to being a science fanatic.

Last edited:
Moridin said:
It does if the person just watched someone else actually eating a complete horse. Ken Hovind, the speaker in the video, actively believe that science is a religion, point blank in the vulgar, classical sense. In any case, I understood that I may have been too fast in pulling a standard refutation. I freely confess to being a science fanatic.

Just as there are different levels, ideologies that make up different groups in religion, I don't mind having groups of different thinking in the Physics area.

(I had to re-write that)

Last edited:
zoobyshoe said:
Now that you mention it.

Is that an 'American' statement implying the person is so hungry he could eat horsemeat - a meat considered undesirable in the US? Or does it imply the person is so hungry he could eat an entire horse? If the latter, is he referring to a Shetland Pony or a Clydesdale? If he's referring to one of http://www.guidehorse.org/dispatch.htm, the thought would definitely fill me with discomfort. Consuming a horse this size wouldn't be nearly as impressive, plus it would leave the poor owner blindly groping across a busy street where he'd be struck by a car.

BobG said:
Is that an 'American' statement implying the person is so hungry he could eat horsemeat - a meat considered undesirable in the US?
I would have a hard time believing that.
Or does it imply the person is so hungry he could eat an entire horse?
I think this is more likely. :smile:
However, a horse is not that bigger than a bull. Maybe "I could eat a whale" would be more sound.

If the latter, is he referring to a Shetland Pony or a Clydesdale? If he's referring to one of http://www.guidehorse.org/dispatch.htm, the thought would definitely fill me with discomfort. Consuming a horse this size wouldn't be nearly as impressive, plus it would leave the poor owner blindly groping across a busy street where he'd be struck by a car.
:smile::smile::smile:

BobG said:
Now that you mention it.

Is that an 'American' statement implying the person is so hungry he could eat horsemeat - a meat considered undesirable in the US? Or does it imply the person is so hungry he could eat an entire horse? If the latter, is he referring to a Shetland Pony or a Clydesdale? If he's referring to one of http://www.guidehorse.org/dispatch.htm, the thought would definitely fill me with discomfort. Consuming a horse this size wouldn't be nearly as impressive, plus it would leave the poor owner blindly groping across a busy street where he'd be struck by a car.
You'll have to watch the Hovind video. Apparently it contains footage of someone eating a complete horse.

BobG said:
If you're talking about science and religion in general, I'd say the simplified answer is that science is a response to a desire to understand the universe while religion is a response to a desire that the universe have meaning. Science doesn't require there to be any meaning associated with the universe. Religion doesn't require that the meaning of the universe be understandable, just that some meaning exists. I imagine that there are a lot of people that would like to do both and consider the first a prerequisite for understanding the second.

Considering them separately, science is willing to accept (at least temporarily) an iterative solution that's approximately correct, especially if each iteration yields a more exact solution. Most scientists would accept the fact that the universe has no meaning, even though quite a few might think it nice if it did.
Excellent points.

On the last point, possibly many scientists are agnostic, which is middle of the road, as in - the universe may or may not have meaning, but if it does we probably don't know what it is. Some would accept that the universe just is and accept that. Then there are others who have more religious or theistic view and ascribe a meaning to the universe.

The two quotes posted by Evo about Einstein pretty much express my views as a transcendental existentialist agnostic.
Evo said:
“If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.”

“I am convinced that a vivid consciousness of the primary importance of moral principles for the betterment and ennoblement of life does not need the idea of a law-giver, especially a law-giver who works on the basis of reward and punishment.”

It is my view that one can be agnostic or atheist and still be religious in the sense of adherring to moral and ethical principles and practices as best one can.

I see the Universe and Nature, more or less one in the same, as amazing entity. Sometimes, I just sit back an enjoy it (e.g. watching planets, stars, nebulae, galaxies, . . . ), and other times I get out and actively enjoy it (outdoor activities or gardening. And then there is the particular enjoyment of sharing that with others who share similar interest.

Last edited:
good post, Astronuc--that's a better way than what I said in my Einstein's 'religion' post (I still think Einstein had to have some type 'religion' to use 'God' so relevantly in that dice statement and maybe other statements?--maybe he had 'religion' earlier in his life and was still embedded to some degree)---

It falls into an ideology/spirituality, but not the idea that most think of 'spirituality' (of the spirit world)--more of the 'spirit' to be open minded about almost, if not all, that is presented (including the knowledge of 'religion'). If someone isn't open minded to all knowledge/areas (but still discerning using judgement and reason), the logical deduction is that that person is closed minded.

There are some things studied in the 'sciences' that have always 'crossed over' into the religion area (or vice-versa)---like all the 'psychic' stuff.

As for Einstein's reference to 'G_d', perhaps he was speaking in the cultural context so that others might understand the point that he was trying to make.

Perhaps Einstein's views on religion/theism changed over time as a matured, as is the case for many.

Thinking of Science and Religion as tools that people use, they can be used productively (to enhance the human exerience) or destructively (to denigrate or hurt the human experience) - it all depends on the user.

rewebster said:
good post, Astronuc--that's a better way than what I said in my Einstein's 'religion' post (I still think Einstein had to have some type 'religion' to use 'God' so relevantly in that dice statement and maybe other statements?--maybe he had 'religion' earlier in his life and was still embedded to some degree)---

It falls into an ideology/spirituality, but not the idea that most think of 'spirituality' (of the spirit world)--more of the 'spirit' to be open minded about almost, if not all, that is presented (including the knowledge of 'religion'). If someone isn't open minded to all knowledge/areas (but still discerning using judgement and reason), the logical deduction is that that person is closed minded.

There are some things studied in the 'sciences' that have always 'crossed over' into the religion area (or vice-versa)---like all the 'psychic' stuff.

It's impossible for the two not to cross over into each other's area. Instead of 'pyschic stuff', the issue of whether the universe is deterministic or probabilistic is a better example.

If all interactions in nature always follow the same law and there's only one way for the interactions to turn out, then, if one knew the conditions that existed at the Big Bang, you could predict every single thing that would occur in the universe (theoretically, at least, since you'd never have enough information). A person's life would be determined completely by fate. Free will would just be an illusion created by not having all information.

If interactions are probabilistic and can't be predicted exactly no matter much information you might theoretically obtain, then the choices a person makes do have an impact on their own lives and the future of the entire universe. Free will would exist, along with its responsibilities.

Last edited:

If I hit myself on the thumb with a hammer and exclaim 'my god that hurts', does that mean that I am religious? For a living refutation, Stephen Hawking, a self-proclaimed non-theist has use the term many times in his books.

There is a difference between being open minded and downright gullible. Being open minded means assessing each new piece of evidence objectively, and trying to see the wider picture. This mean accepting possibility, but evaluating probability. It does not mean believe everything. It does not mean to assert absolute truth in the absence of evidence.

I'd like to take that ball and run with it in a somewhat different direction. Science can study religions, their natural origin (if they have one) and it can study and see if the attempts by self-proclaimed psychics works better than chance. Although I would not go so far as to claim that I am a proponent of NOMA.

My ideas of (the) science(s) and (all) religion(s) is that in the history of man the two were (almost) overlapping Bell shaped curves. Depending on 'where on earth' and 'where in time', the Bell shaped curves (science one, religion the other) are becoming 'less' overlapping (set theory comes into play,too).

This 'bothers' some 'religious' people/leaders as they 'feel' (and through history, also), they are losing power/control. It's sad to think about, but if a government/'some religious group' wants to be more powerful, they'll chop off as much of the 'science' Bell curve as they can (e.g.- holy roman empire, Nazi's, Taliban, Al queda, Inquisition (e.g.-galileo), and a couple of years ago, on a smaller way, Bush and the global warming).

rewebster said:
Sorry, but Einstein said it sarcastically. I don't have the exact context, but this Times article should help put it in proper perspective for you.

Einstein was convinced that the cosmos is an orderly, continuous unity: gravity and electro-magnetism must, therefore, have a common source. He was in a minority, for Planck's famed Quantum Theory, which Einstein himself did so much to develop, and which many modern scientists accept, suggests that the physical universe is made up of small particles (quanta) that are governed not by some orderly causality but by chance.

But Einstein persisted: "I cannot believe that God plays dice with the cosmos." He set himself to find a new synthesis, which he called the Unified Field Theory. He wanted to unify the field of gravitation with the field of electromagnetism, and thus resolve every cosmic motion into a single set of laws. On three occasions Einstein felt sure he was on the point of grasping the "final truth." But he had to admit last year that he had "not yet found a practical way to confront the theory with experimental evidence," the crucial test for any theory.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,866292-4,00.html

The correct quote is “I cannot believe that God plays dice with the cosmos.”

Albert Einstein on quantum mechanics, published in the London Observer, April 5, 1964; also quoted as "God does not play dice with the world." in Einstein: The Life and Times, Ronald W. Clark, New York: World Publishing Co., 1971, p. 19.

Another Einstein letter -

“The idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I am unable to take seriously.”

Albert Einstein, letter to Hoffman and Dukas, 1946; from Albert Einstein the Human Side, Helen Dukas and Banesh Hoffman, eds., Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton University Press, 1981.

Last edited:
Moridin said:
If I hit myself on the thumb with a hammer and exclaim 'my godthat hurts', does that mean that I am religious?

To me, I would think, it would depend on who your 'god' was that you were referring to?

Moridin said:
There is a difference between being open minded and downright gullible.

why did you change the 'opposites' from 'open minded' and 'closed minded' to 'open minded' and 'downright gullible'?