Coursework problem- do you think I made the right decision?

In summary, the regional water table is rising, which means that the water in the ditches, seasonal pond, and wet flush plant communities is coming from a different source than previously thought.
matthyaouw
Gold Member
I have a piece of project work in which I have to make predictions about the biogeography in an area of diverse grassland in 20 years time if one of a number of changes occur (changes proposed by the tutor, not me). The change I chose was the regional water table rising 0.5 metres. I've written the majority of my essay already, but I thought that it would be useful to do a bit of research on the water table at present. Until now, I'd assumed that the water filling the ditches, the seasonal pond, and the wet flush plant communities was straight from the water table, as this was what the question implied; if it isn't, then I have no data on which to base my prediction.
I wrote most of an essay based upon this assumption, when I received an email from a university staff member anwering my query about the depth of the water table:

"To the best of my knowledge it has not been determined. The pond in the corner is spring-fed."

uh oh.
Now I hadn't been told anything about springs. Apparetly there is faulting in the clay (you can get faulting on quaternary boulder clay?) and water seeps up from the chalk below (possibly like in an artesian(sp?) well?).
With some research, I think it would be altogether possible to discover the nature of these springs, and adjust my essay accordingly, however its now monday night, and this is due on friday along with 4 other assignments. I simply do not have time to do it. I've decided to basically ignore this new information, and carry on with my work as if I had not learned this. I do wonder if I was supposed to learn this, or whether my tutor left the information out of her lectures purposefully and wanted us to write basing our predictions on the water being normal groundwater from a very high waer table.

Do you think I'm doing right to keep from over complicating this and ignoring this new information?

Physics news on Phys.org
If this is first year... ignore it.

Otherwise, I don't know myself.

I'd say if it's not a major course, then I'd ignore it.

I think that this information should leave your paper mostly unchanged, but you should add a section or two detailing this new information you found, and speculation on what it might imply. And if it fits well, it would be worth saying stuff about this new information in the other parts of the paper too.

I think it would be intellectually dishonest to just leave out this new information.

I'd go with Hurkyl actually.

Add a paragraph/note after the conclusion about the findings.

Related to Coursework problem- do you think I made the right decision?

1. How do I know if I made the right decision for my coursework problem?

Making the right decision for your coursework problem can be subjective, as it depends on individual goals and preferences. However, there are a few factors you can consider to determine if your decision was a good one. These include whether your solution addresses the problem's main objective, if it aligns with your research and evidence, and if it is practical and feasible in the given timeframe.

2. What if I am unsure about my decision for my coursework problem?

If you are unsure about your decision, it is always a good idea to seek feedback from your peers or professor. They can provide valuable insights and perspectives that may help you evaluate your decision and make improvements if needed. Additionally, you can also conduct further research and analysis to validate your decision or explore alternative solutions.

3. Is it okay to change my decision for my coursework problem?

Yes, it is okay to change your decision for your coursework problem if you feel that it is not the best solution. As a scientist, it is important to be open to new evidence and adapt your approach accordingly. However, make sure to communicate any changes or updates to your professor and provide a solid explanation for why you made the change.

4. Can I consult with an expert about my decision for my coursework problem?

Absolutely! In fact, seeking advice from experts in the field can greatly benefit your decision-making process. They can offer valuable insights and suggest alternative approaches that you may not have considered. However, make sure to properly cite and credit any information or ideas you gather from experts in your coursework.

5. What if my decision for my coursework problem does not yield the expected results?

It is important to remember that not all decisions will lead to the desired outcome. As a scientist, it is crucial to document and analyze the results of your decision, whether successful or not. This can help you learn from any mistakes or shortcomings and make improvements for future projects. Remember, even unexpected outcomes can lead to valuable insights and contribute to the advancement of knowledge and understanding in your field.