So I need to do a physics research project....

In summary, this student is considering upgrading their physics minor to a major, but they are late getting on board with one of the professors and need to find an independent project to do. They are thinking about doing something related to air quality during the winter, but they are not sure if this is a physics or chemistry project.
PsychonautQQ
Hey PF!
So I'm thinking about upgrading my physics minor to a major, the main obstruction to this is that I would need to do a research project and I'm a bit late getting on board with one of the professors and assisting in their work. So I'm trying to think of something I could do independently that I would be able to give a 25 minute presentation on...

I live in Wisconsin and the seasons are changing from spring to fall to winter right now, could I involve that possibly? There are a lot of different rivers/streams/lakes/ponds around, maybe something with water? Idk, I'm just brain storming really, if anyone has any ideas let me know! It really doesn't need to be anything too fancy :D.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps I could investigate how air quality changes during the winter and then try to measure it?

PsychonautQQ said:
i'm a bit late getting on board with one of the professors and assisting in their work
Is this based on an assumption or have your professors told you this specifically? It's September 1st. At our school this is about the time that students looking for senior thesis projects come around knocking on door or sending emails to query about projects. Sure, the more diligent ones do it over the summer, but I'm sure if you started looking around, there would still be some professors who will talk to you.

It really is to your advantage to set yourself up with a mentor for these kinds of things. Not only does it tend to make the project go more smoothly, but you also get to network and learn about aspects of research and academia you otherwise wouldn't be exposed to on your own.

I agree with Choppy. Before going solo or pursuing ideas outside of your physics department, you need to beat the bushes thoroughly in your home department and look for options there. Your local faculty are best positioned to help you in your research project. Odds are the faculty member who administers the senior research course can give you a few ideas.

PsychonautQQ said:
Perhaps I could investigate how air quality changes during the winter and then try to measure it?

This seems more like chemistry than physics to me, though your local department will have the ultimate say regarding project approvals. If you do end up going solo, a couple Physics Forums Insights articles may be useful:

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/niches-publishable-undergraduate-research/

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/secrets-successful-science-projects/

We do occasionally work with university students on their senior research projects. However, your local department has dibbs on your time and talent, and we only take on students who have exhausted their local options and with the knowledge and approval of the faculty member administering their research course. We can usually work out all these details, as well as the project mentoring from a distance. A number of students who we have never met in person have completed successful research and co-authored papers with us.

PM me for additional details if it comes to the point where you may want to pursue this path. I'll need a resume and an unofficial transcript early in the process to share with my colleagues for their feedback, approval, and assistance matching with a topic.

Related to So I need to do a physics research project....

1. What are the steps involved in conducting a physics research project?

The steps involved in conducting a physics research project include:

1. Identifying a research question or problem to be investigated
  2. Conducting a literature review to gather information and background knowledge
  3. Designing and carrying out experiments or simulations to collect data
  4. Analyzing and interpreting the data using appropriate statistical methods
  5. Communicating the results and conclusions through a written report or presentation

2. How do I choose a topic for my physics research project?

Choosing a topic for your physics research project can be challenging, but here are some tips to help you:

• Start by brainstorming areas of physics that interest you or that you have knowledge in
  • Read current scientific articles and publications to get ideas and identify gaps in the research
  • Consider the resources and equipment available to you for conducting experiments
  • Consult with your advisor or peers for suggestions and feedback

3. What types of data can be collected in a physics research project?

The type of data collected in a physics research project will depend on the research question and the methods used to gather data. Some common types of data in physics research include:

• Quantitative data, such as measurements and numerical values
  • Qualitative data, such as observations and descriptions
  • Experimental data, obtained through controlled experiments
  • Simulated data, generated through computer simulations

4. How do I ensure the accuracy and reliability of my research project?

To ensure the accuracy and reliability of your physics research project, you can take the following steps:

• Conduct multiple trials and collect a sufficient amount of data to reduce errors and variability
  • Use appropriate measurement techniques and equipment
  • Apply statistical methods to analyze the data and identify any outliers or anomalies
  • Verify your results with other researchers or by replicating the experiment
  • Document your procedures and results accurately and thoroughly

5. How can I make my physics research project stand out?

To make your physics research project stand out, you can try the following:

• Choose a unique and original research question or approach
  • Incorporate interdisciplinary or cutting-edge techniques in your project
  • Collaborate with other researchers or experts in the field
  • Present your findings at conferences or submit your work for publication
  • Use visual aids or demonstrations to enhance your presentation