Counting States of Degeneracy in 3-D Particles in a Box

In summary, the problem is to find the allowed values of the fourth integer in a 3-d particle in a box system where the sum of the squares of three integers equals the fourth integer. The goal is to determine the number of combinations of the first three integers that can produce each allowed fourth integer. There is currently only a brute force method of solution, but there is likely a more efficient approach.
Sturk200
So I'm trying to figure out the best way to count the degeneracy of states for a 3-d particle in a box. The problem breaks into the following: we have three integers greater than or equal to unity whose values are allowed to vary independently, and the sum of whose squares equals a fourth integer.

a2 + b2 + c2 = x

It is required to find the allowed values of the fourth integer x, and the number of combinations of the first three integers (a, b, and c) able to produce each allowed fourth integer.

At present the only method of solution I am aware of is just listing out the possibilities and counting by brute force, but I know there must be a better way. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sturk200 said:
So I'm trying to figure out the best way to count the degeneracy of states for a 3-d particle in a box. The problem breaks into the following: we have three integers greater than or equal to unity whose values are allowed to vary independently, and the sum of whose squares equals a fourth integer.

a2 + b2 + c2 = x

It is required to find the allowed values of the fourth integer x, and the number of combinations of the first three integers (a, b, and c) able to produce each allowed fourth integer.

At present the only method of solution I am aware of is just listing out the possibilities and counting by brute force, but I know there must be a better way. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

https://www.oeis.org/A025427

Related to Counting States of Degeneracy in 3-D Particles in a Box

1. How do you define degeneracy in particles in a box?

Degeneracy in particles in a box refers to the number of ways that a particular energy level can be occupied by particles. In other words, it is the number of different arrangements of particles that result in the same energy level.

2. Why is it important to count states of degeneracy in 3-D particles in a box?

Counting states of degeneracy in 3-D particles in a box is important because it allows us to accurately predict the behavior and properties of a system of particles. It also helps in understanding the energy distribution and statistical mechanics of the system.

3. What is the formula for counting states of degeneracy in 3-D particles in a box?

The formula for counting states of degeneracy in 3-D particles in a box is given by: g(E) = (2s + 1)(2l + 1)(2m + 1), where s, l, and m are the quantum numbers for spin, orbital angular momentum, and magnetic quantum number, respectively.

4. Can degeneracy occur in all energy levels of a particle in a box?

Yes, degeneracy can occur in all energy levels of a particle in a box. However, the number of degenerate states decreases as the energy level increases.

5. How does the number of particles in a box affect the counting of states of degeneracy?

The number of particles in a box does not affect the counting of states of degeneracy. The number of particles only determines the total number of possible energy levels, but the degeneracy of each energy level remains the same regardless of the number of particles.