Is the particle in a 1-D infinite well doubly degenerate?

In summary, a particle on a ring in I-D is doubly degenerate, but the energy is quantized. The particle in a 1-D infinite well with infinite walls at x=0 and x=a is not doubly degenerate. Sin kx can be written as a linear combination of eikx and e-ikx, but this does not imply doubly degenerate.
dyn
Hi. I'm confused about degeneracy in I-D As far as I understand it ( and please tell me if I'm wrong ) ; a free particle is doubly degenerate with a continuous energy spectrum with eigenfunctions eikx and e-ikx. A particle on a ring in I-D is doubly degenerate but this time the energy is quantized.
My main question concerns a particle in a 1-D infinite well with infinite walls at x=0 and x=a. The eigenfunction is given by ψ = sin (nπx/a) where n = 1,2,3,... These eigenfunctions are non-degenerate as n only takes positive values but sin kx can be written as sin kx = ( eikx - e-ikx) / 2i which is a superposition of 2 waves traveling in opposite directions. Would this not make the particle in a box doubly degenerate ?

Physics news on Phys.org
There's not much room for choice of ##A## and ##B## if you want the function ##\psi (x) = Ae^{ikx}+Be^{-ikx}## to be zero at x=0 and x=a. For most values of k it's not possible at all (except if A and B are both zero).

dyn said:
but sin kx can be written as sin kx = ( eikx - e-ikx) / 2i which is a superposition of 2 waves traveling in opposite directions. Would this not make the particle in a box doubly degenerate ?
Neither of those functions are solutions to the eigenvalue equation for the particle-in-a-box Hamiltonian.

The solution to the particle in a box Hamiltonian is sin kx where k = nπ /a and n takes positive integer values. This shows that the energy eigenvalues are non-degenerate. But the part that confuses me is that sin kx can be written as a linear combination of eikx and e-ikx which implies doubly degenerate ?

dyn said:
The solution to the particle in a box Hamiltonian is sin kx where k = nπ /a and n takes positive integer values. This shows that the energy eigenvalues are non-degenerate. But the part that confuses me is that sin kx can be written as a linear combination of eikx and e-ikx which implies doubly degenerate ?

The function ##e^{ikx}## is not zero for any value of x. Its absolute value is 1 everywhere.

Likes dyn
dyn said:
sin kx can be written as a linear combination of eikx and e-ikx which implies doubly degenerate ?

No, because, as Nugatory said, ##e^{ikx}## and ##e^{-ikx}## are not solutions of the eigenvalue equation, whereas ##\sin kx## is. Writing a function that is a solution as a linear combination of functions that are not tells you nothing at all about degeneracy; degeneracy implies that you are talking only about functions which are solutions. For each ##k## there is only one such function, hence no degeneracy.

Likes dyn
Yeah, even the harmonic oscillator ground state ##\psi (x) = Ae^{-kx^2}## can be written as ##\psi (x) = A\left(\frac{1}{2}e^{-kx^2}+\sin kx\right) + A\left(\frac{1}{2}e^{-kx^2}-\sin kx\right)## if you want to, but neither of the functions

##\psi (x) = \frac{1}{2}e^{-kx^2}+\sin kx##, or
##\psi (x) =\frac{1}{2}e^{-kx^2}-\sin kx##,

is a solution to the SHO Schrödinger equation.

Likes dyn
Thanks everyone. Much appreciated !

Related to Is the particle in a 1-D infinite well doubly degenerate?

What is degeneracy?

Degeneracy refers to the phenomenon in which multiple different genetic sequences can code for the same amino acid sequence in a protein. This is due to the redundancy of the genetic code, which contains more codons (three-letter sequences) than there are amino acids.

Why is degeneracy important?

Degeneracy is important because it allows for genetic mutations to occur without affecting the function of a protein. This provides a level of flexibility and robustness in the genetic code, as mutations can occur without causing significant harm to the organism.

How is degeneracy related to genetic diversity?

Degeneracy contributes to genetic diversity by allowing for the existence of different genetic sequences that code for the same protein. This diversity can be passed down through generations and can lead to variations in traits and characteristics within a population.

Can degeneracy lead to errors in protein synthesis?

While degeneracy is a natural and important aspect of the genetic code, it can also lead to errors in protein synthesis. This can occur if a mutation changes a codon to one that codes for a different amino acid, resulting in a different protein being produced. However, these errors are usually corrected by the cell's proofreading mechanisms.

Are there any potential benefits of degeneracy?

Yes, there are potential benefits of degeneracy. As mentioned before, it provides genetic flexibility and allows for genetic mutations to occur without causing harm to an organism. Additionally, degeneracy can also play a role in protein folding and stability, as different codons can result in different interactions between amino acids in the protein.