Counterfactual Transmission of Information

In summary, the paper is behind a paywall and does not seem to have any experimental evidence to support its claims of counterfactual communication.
Physics news on Phys.org
That paper is behind a paywall. Someone have an arXiv preprint that's close enough to the final version to substitute?

Nugatory said:
That paper is behind a paywall. Someone have an arXiv preprint that's close enough to the final version to substitute?

Really? I'm sorry, someone sent me a link to the Science Alert article and I just clicked the link in that article to the paper itself.

Try this link to the article and then to the paper: http://flip.it/gao4h9

The link in the article is taking me to the same place as the link in your original post: the page at pnas.org with the abstract but not the content of the paper.

Nugatory said:
The link in the article is taking me to the same place as the link in your original post: the page at pnas.org with the abstract but not the content of the paper.

At the abstract page just under the authors there is like a menu bar, at the end there is a PDF tab, that takes you to the paper. I tried to upload it but it's too big.

DrClaude said:
It is an implementation of 10.1103/PhysRevLett.110.170502 (https://arxiv.org/abs/1206.2042). They don't do any measurement to prove the counterfactual claim (that no photons ever travel between Alice and Bob), so it won't help with the debate on whether counterfactual communications are actually possible.

It never hurt to make more independent experiments to rule out a CERN like error, although in this case the setup is way less complex.

Related to Counterfactual Transmission of Information

What is counterfactual transmission of information?

Counterfactual transmission of information refers to the transfer of information or data between two entities, even in the absence of direct physical connection or interaction between them. It is based on the concept of counterfactuals, which are hypothetical statements about what would have happened if certain conditions were different.

How does counterfactual transmission of information work?

Counterfactual transmission of information relies on the principles of quantum mechanics, particularly the concept of quantum entanglement. In this process, two particles become entangled, meaning their states are linked and can affect each other even at a distance. By manipulating one particle, information can be transmitted to the other particle instantly, regardless of the physical distance between them.

What is the significance of counterfactual transmission of information?

Counterfactual transmission of information has significant implications for quantum communication and information processing. It allows for secure communication, as the information is transmitted instantaneously and cannot be intercepted by a third party. It also has potential applications in quantum computing, where information is processed using quantum bits (qubits) instead of classical bits, allowing for faster and more efficient computations.

What are the challenges of implementing counterfactual transmission of information?

One of the main challenges of implementing counterfactual transmission of information is the difficulty in controlling and manipulating quantum systems. It also requires specialized equipment and technology, making it costly and challenging to scale up for practical use. Additionally, maintaining the delicate state of entangled particles over long distances can be challenging.

What are the potential future developments in counterfactual transmission of information?

As technology advances and our understanding of quantum mechanics deepens, it is possible that counterfactual transmission of information could become more widespread and accessible. Researchers are also exploring ways to improve the efficiency and reliability of this process, as well as potential applications in areas such as quantum teleportation and secure communication networks.