About infinity and all possibilities of Multiverse/Omniverse

• B
  • Thread starter Ug Nagdi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Infinity
In summary: I wanted to get a more specific opinion on it. Just make up whatever scenario you like and unless it violates physical laws, then sure, it could probably happen in one of these mythical "other" places. As you can likely tell from my tone, I don’t believe it for a minute, but that’s opinion..This is what I am trying to ask actually, considering all the possibilities that can happen in Tegmark’s level 1 multiverse, can there be a universe where such ‘verses’ do not come from fiction and we have more knowledge on such theories? This touches upon the rest of my question above, any answer is much appreciated to that parts as
Ug Nagdi
TL;DR Summary
About infinity and all possibilities of multiverse/omniverse...
If all possibilities happen somewhere, can there be a universe where there are more explanations and content (articles, blogs, videos etc.) in that universe explaining about the multiverse, omniverse, dimensions etc.? And speaking of multiverse, why there is not enough information about omniverse? Most internet search results are from fictional TV comics. Can there be a universe where there is a version of me who finds every different version of search results when exploring the internet, like another universe which copies of me find more or different search results about multiverse and/or omniverse contents, including infinitely different versions of the possible answers to this question? I hope my question is understandable. Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ug Nagdi said:
And speaking of multiverse, why there is not enough information about omniverse? Most internet search results are from fictional TV comics.
That's because virtually everything you've ever heard about multiverses, omniverses, or any other 'verse' comes from fiction. Mainstream science has very, very little to say about it aside from a handful of speculative theories about them. Mainly, the many worlds interpretation from Quantum Physics (which is an interpretation of the math, not something supported with evidence) and a few theories from cosmology that also have no observational evidence.

The real science behind parallel universes, multiverses, and omniverses is far more boring and far less voluminous than the fiction about them I'm afraid.

Likes bhobba, topsquark, Lord Jestocost and 3 others
Drakkith said:
That's because virtually everything you've ever heard about multiverses, omniverses, or any other 'verse' comes from fiction. Mainstream science has very, very little to say about it aside from a handful of speculative theories about them. Mainly, the many worlds interpretation from Quantum Physics (which is an interpretation of the math, not something supported with evidence) and a few theories from cosmology that also have no observational evidence.

The real science behind parallel universes, multiverses, and omniverses is far more boring and far less voluminous than the fiction about them I'm afraid.
Thank you for the comment. This is what I am trying to ask actually, considering all the possibilities that can happen in Tegmark's level 1 multiverse, can there be a universe where such 'verses' do not come from fiction and we have more knowledge on such theories? This touches upon the rest of my question above, any answer is much appreciated to that parts as well.

Ug Nagdi said:
Thank you for the comment. This is what I am trying to ask actually, considering all the possibilities that can happen in Tegmark's level 1 multiverse, can there be a universe where such 'verses' do not come from fiction and we have more knowledge on such theories? This touches upon the rest of my question above, any answer is much appreciated to that parts as well.
Just make up whatever scenario you like and unless it violates physical laws, then sure, it could probably happen in one of these mythical "other" places. As you can likely tell from my tone, I don't believe it for a minute, but that's opinion.

Likes Ug Nagdi and topsquark
Ug Nagdi said:
. This is what I am trying to ask actually, considering all the possibilities that can happen in Tegmark's level 1 multiverse, can there be a universe where such 'verses' do not come from fiction and we have more knowledge on such theories?
That depends entirely on which sorts of 'verses' are actually fiction vs non-fiction. Tegmark's level 1 multiverse, which is still just a single universe really, is about as 'factual' as you can get. Assume that the universe is VERY large, much larger than the observable universe, at least 10^30 meters across (roughly), and assume that the laws of physics are the same everywhere. Then due to pure chance there should be a copy or near-copy of our own galaxy somewhere out there in the 10^(large number) galaxies that should exist within a volume of this size.

Once you get beyond this type of 'multiverse', things rapidly become more and more speculative and less supported. Obviously any type of 'verse' that isn't a real, physical 'thing' cannot exist, and moving 10^28 meters in one direction doesn't change this.

Likes bhobba and topsquark
Even if there were an infinity of universes: there is no guarantee that in one of them, you wrote the Magna Carta, ruled the world, or were a member of the Beatles [or fill in your own crazy scenario here]. It would still follow some set of physical rules, and there are plenty of outcomes that could never be expected to occur.

The reason sci fi references parallel/multi universes and the like: it makes for a simple premise for entertainment purposes. Also, how would people in other multiverses know more about this subject than @Drakkith and our other distinguished posters on PF? I definitely believe this is the best multiverse to be asking your questions... :oldbiggrin:

• Love
Likes bhobba, Ug Nagdi and topsquark
Thank you all for the answers, I understand the overall answer would be a ‘yes’ to my question?

Ug Nagdi said:
Thank you all for the answers, I understand the overall answer would be a ‘yes’ to my question?
I don't know, as your question talks about things which are possibly not infinite:

"another universe which copies of me find more or different search results about multiverse and/or omniverse contents, including infinitely different versions of the possible answers to this question"

If we're all using the same physical laws, then I don't know if there would be infinitely many possible answers to the question.

Ug Nagdi said:
I understand the overall answer would be a ‘yes’ to my question?
As a matter of actual physics. your question is unanswerable. The physics answer is that in "multiverse" models, all possibilities are realized which are consistent with the physical state of the universe and the laws of physics. But we don't have exact knowledge of what that state is, so we have no way of saying, as a matter of physics, what possibilities are consistent with that state.

As a matter of vague, informal, hand-waving speculation, people usually assume that anything they can imagine is possible. That is basically what you are doing in your OP, and what even physicists who should know better do in pop science contexts where they don't have to actually back up their speculations with physics. But as a matter of physics, we have no idea which of the things we can imagine are actually possible, as in, consistent with the physical state of the universe and the laws of physics.

• Love
Likes bhobba, DrChinese, phinds and 1 other person
Drakkith said:
I don't know, as your question talks about things which are possibly not infinite:

"another universe which copies of me find more or different search results about multiverse and/or omniverse contents, including infinitely different versions of the possible answers to this question"

If we're all using the same physical laws, then I don't know if there would be infinitely many possible answers to the question.

Since level 1 assumes different versions of the universe, then different versions of us could read and write different versions of everything we see on the internet. Thinking, believing and writing about anything does not violate the physical laws we have... This is what I meant

PeterDonis said:
As a matter of actual physics. your question is unanswerable. The physics answer is that in "multiverse" models, all possibilities are realized which are consistent with the physical state of the universe and the laws of physics. But we don't have exact knowledge of what that state is, so we have no way of saying, as a matter of physics, what possibilities are consistent with that state.

As a matter of vague, informal, hand-waving speculation, people usually assume that anything they can imagine is possible. That is basically what you are doing in your OP, and what even physicists who should know better do in pop science contexts where they don't have to actually back up their speculations with physics. But as a matter of physics, we have no idea which of the things we can imagine are actually possible, as in, consistent with the physical state of the universe and the laws of physics.
Sure, but as there already are many articles and theories about such content in this universe, then I think in level 1 multiverse there can be slightly or completely different versions of such writings, including different verisons of us reading or writing them...

DrChinese said:
Even if there were an infinity of universes: there is no guarantee that in one of them, you wrote the Magna Carta, ruled the world, or were a member of the Beatles [or fill in your own crazy scenario here]. It would still follow some set of physical rules, and there are plenty of outcomes that could never be expected to occur.

The reason sci fi references parallel/multi universes and the like: it makes for a simple premise for entertainment purposes. Also, how would people in other multiverses know more about this subject than @Drakkith and our other distinguished posters on PF? I definitely believe this is the best multiverse to be asking your questions... :oldbiggrin:
Thanks for the comment. I only thought of a slightly different situation here- which sounds highly possible than the examples you display: that there could be another universe which copies of us find "more or different search results about multiverse and/or omniverse contents, including infinitely different versions of the possible answers to this question"

Ug Nagdi said:
... including different verisons of us ...
What defines a different version of you? As opposed to someone who looks like you?

Ug Nagdi said:
Sure, but as there already are many articles and theories about such content in this universe, then I think in level 1 multiverse there can be slightly or completely different versions of such writings, including different verisons of us reading or writing them...
You can speculate all you want about such things, but unless you can give specific references, they're irrelevant for discussion here. We can't discuss the content of something you're imagining that might not even exist, and even if it did, none of us here can read it.

Ug Nagdi said:
there could be another universe which copies of us find "more or different search results about multiverse and/or omniverse contents, including infinitely different versions of the possible answers to this question"
Even if there is, we can't perceive it, so there is no way for us to know anything about it.

As various responses have shown, the topic of this thread can't provide a valid basis for any discussion other than personal speculation, which is off topic here. Therefore, this thread is closed.

1. What is the concept of infinity in relation to the Multiverse/Omniverse?

The concept of infinity in relation to the Multiverse/Omniverse refers to the idea that there are an infinite number of universes or dimensions within the Multiverse/Omniverse. This means that there are an infinite number of possibilities and realities that exist beyond our own universe.

2. How is the Multiverse/Omniverse theory supported by scientific evidence?

Currently, there is no direct scientific evidence to support the Multiverse/Omniverse theory. However, some aspects of the theory, such as the inflationary model of the universe and quantum mechanics, have been supported by various experiments and observations. Additionally, the theory is still being explored and studied by scientists, and new evidence may emerge in the future.

3. Can we ever prove the existence of other universes within the Multiverse/Omniverse?

It is currently impossible to prove the existence of other universes within the Multiverse/Omniverse. Since these universes are thought to exist beyond our own, they are beyond our reach and cannot be observed or measured. However, scientists continue to search for ways to test and validate the Multiverse/Omniverse theory.

4. How does the concept of the Multiverse/Omniverse relate to the laws of physics?

The Multiverse/Omniverse theory does not necessarily contradict the laws of physics. In fact, it is thought to be a natural extension of current physical theories. However, the existence of an infinite number of universes or dimensions may challenge our understanding of certain physical laws and require new theories to explain them.

5. Is the Multiverse/Omniverse theory just a philosophical concept or is there scientific basis for it?

The Multiverse/Omniverse theory is a scientific concept that is based on mathematical models and theories, such as string theory and quantum mechanics. While it may have philosophical implications, it is primarily a scientific theory that is being explored and studied by scientists in various fields.