Exploring the Impact of Moisture on Sound Transmission in Various Mediums

• Thread starter CMcKenna
  • Start date
In summary, moisture can greatly affect sound transmission in various mediums. It can cause changes in the acoustic properties of materials, leading to decreased sound transmission and increased sound absorption. Additionally, moisture can also result in structural damage and deterioration of sound barriers, further impacting the transmission of sound. The impact of moisture on sound transmission varies depending on the type of medium and its specific composition, highlighting the need for further exploration and understanding of this phenomenon.
CMcKenna
How did you find PF?
DuckDuckGo engine
Hello.

My name is Chris McKenna. I'm quite interested in learning about sound and the ability to measure and record and "see" sound as it travels through various mediums - air being one of them.

I found this site after seeking out some information on the impact of sound as it travels through air and to why sound waves are affected by moisture molecules in the air relative to changes in density. Reason being: as a main hobby, I love audio and sound of valve amplifiers along with recording acoustic drums and all types of sound sources and studio playback environments thus, the reason I was looking for technical information on sound transmission and how it travels through various mediums - air being one of them. I'm interested in learning about the impact on transmission and sonics regarding the presence of moisture in the air and its affect on transmission and sonics.

About me: I am a senior level engineer working in the aerospace and defense sectors primarily, space applications involving electronics and electro-mechanical testing.

Thank you for welcoming me to your site.

Cheers,
CM

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and :welcome:!

Have fun and stay curious!