Coronavirus reported cases/deaths pattern (why fewer on weekends?)

In summary: This would make it easier to see if the trend is consistent over time.In summary, there are fewer reported Covid-19 cases and deaths on weekends.
JT Smith
Maybe this is a dumb question, but why are there fewer reported Covid-19 cases and deaths on weekends?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you post a link to the data you are looking at? I don't necessarily see that trend on my EMS Dashboard for Santa Clara County in Northern California...

https://www.sccgov.org/sites/covid19/Pages/dashboard.aspx

1589572952153.png

I noticed it too. One thought is that during the weekend there are fewer administrative staff members to process patient info so it all piles up and takes several days for them to work through it and send it to the registry.

EDIT: Hospitals usually only have essential patient care, security, or housekeeping personnel on weekends. Regular outpatient services are closed. Non patient care departments like human resources, engineering/maintenance and especially the patient record department are closed or only on call so some things are put off until Monday.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Klystron and berkeman
berkeman said:
Can you post a link to the data you are looking at? I don't necessarily see that trend on my EMS Dashboard for Santa Clara County in Northern California...

It's certainly more difficult to discern that pattern in the graph you posted.

I can see it in the world daily totals posted below as well U.S. daily totals.

daily new cases.png

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/worldwide-graphs/#daily-cases

daily deaths.png

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/worldwide-graphs/#daily-deathsper-day-chart-deaths.png
(from washingtonpost.com)

Last edited:
gleem said:
I noticed it too. One thought is that during the weekend there are fewer administrative staff members to process patient info so it all piles up and takes several days for them to work through it and send it to the registry.

EDIT: Hospitals usually only have essential patient care, security, or housekeeping personnel on weekends. Regular outpatient services are closed. Non patient care departments like human resources, engineering/maintenance and especially the patient record department are closed or only on call so some things are put off until Monday.

That makes sense. Thanks.

EDIT: Although if it were up to me I'd tag the incidents with the date of occurrence instead of the date the data were entered.

Last edited:

1. Why are there fewer reported cases and deaths from Coronavirus on the weekends?

There are a few potential reasons for this pattern. One possibility is that there is a lag in reporting over the weekends, as some healthcare facilities may be closed or have reduced staffing. This can result in a backlog of cases and deaths being reported on Mondays. Additionally, people may be less likely to seek medical care or get tested for COVID-19 on the weekends, leading to fewer reported cases. Finally, it's also possible that there is a real decrease in cases and deaths on weekends due to factors such as reduced workplace exposure or decreased social interaction.

2. Is the weekend reporting pattern consistent across all regions and countries?

No, the weekend reporting pattern can vary depending on the region or country. It may be more pronounced in countries where there are cultural or religious differences in healthcare seeking behavior, or where there are differences in healthcare infrastructure and capacity. It's important to look at the specific data and context for each region to understand the weekend reporting pattern.

3. Does the weekend reporting pattern impact our understanding of the overall trend of Coronavirus cases and deaths?

The weekend reporting pattern can make it difficult to accurately track the overall trend of Coronavirus cases and deaths. It's important to take into account this pattern when analyzing data and to look at longer-term trends rather than just day-to-day changes. Additionally, comparing data from weekdays to weekdays rather than weekdays to weekends can help to mitigate the impact of this reporting pattern.

4. Are there any factors that could influence the weekend reporting pattern?

Aside from the potential reasons mentioned in the first question, there are other factors that could contribute to the weekend reporting pattern. These could include differences in testing availability or criteria, variations in data reporting methods, and changes in public health policies or interventions. It's important to consider these factors when interpreting the weekend reporting pattern.

5. Can we expect the weekend reporting pattern to continue as the pandemic progresses?

It's difficult to predict the exact trajectory of the weekend reporting pattern as the pandemic continues. It may persist as long as there are differences in healthcare seeking behavior and reporting practices. However, as more widespread testing becomes available and reporting practices are standardized, the impact of the weekend reporting pattern may decrease over time.