Corollary to Correspondence Theorem for Modules

In summary, the conversation revolves around Corollary 6.25 and its proof, which follows from the Correspondence Theorem for Modules (Theorem 6.22 in Rotman's Advanced Modern Algebra). The theorem states that if I is a maximal ideal of R and M := R / I, then a submodule of M is of the form S / I with I ⊆ S ⊆ R. The module property makes S an ideal of R, and if S = I, then S / I = 0, and if S = R, then S / I = M, which means M is simple. The proof also shows that if M is a simple R left module, then there exists a non-zero submodule of
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Joseph J. Rotman's book: Advanced Modern Algebra and I am currently focused on Section 6.1 Modules ...

I need some help with the proof of Corollary 6.25 ... Corollary to Theorem 6.22 (Correspondence Theorem) ... ...

Corollary 6.25 and its proof read as follows:
?temp_hash=3e7e3658af5514dc0972081c2217eed4.png
Can someone explain to me exactly how Corollary 6.25 follows from the Correspondence Theorem for Modules ...?

Hope that someone can help ...

Peter=============================================

*** EDIT ***

The above post refers to the Correspondence Theorem for Modules (Theorem 6.22 in Rotman's Advanced Modern Algebra) ... so I am proving the text of the Theorem from Rotman's Advanced Modern Algebra as follows:
?temp_hash=3e7e3658af5514dc0972081c2217eed4.png

Attachments

• Rotman - AMA - Corollary 6.25    ....png
    Rotman - AMA - Corollary 6.25 ....png
    34.5 KB · Views: 728
  • Rotman - Theorem 6.22.png
    Rotman - Theorem 6.22.png
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,252
Physics news on Phys.org
If I is a maximal ideal of R and M := R / I then a submodule of M is of the form S / I with I ⊆ S ⊆ R (6.22). The module property makes S an ideal of R. So either S = I, i.e. S / I = 0, or S = R, i.e. S / I = M, which means M is simple. On the other hand, if M is a simple R left module then we can pick an element m ∈ M, m ≠ 0. Then φ : R → M with φ(r) := r.m defines a ring homomorphism. φ cannot be 0, because otherwise {m} would be a non-zero submodule of M. (We suppose that either R has a 1 and 1.m = m or more generally require that R doesn't operate trivially on M, i.e. R.M may not be {0}.) Since I am φ is a non-zero submodule of M and M is simple, φ has to be surjective (im φ = M) with kernel I:= ker φ.
Therefore R / I = R / ker φ ≅ I am φ = M.
According to Theorem 6.22 the absence of submodules of M ≅ R / I implies the absence of ideals in R containing I, i.e. I is a maximal left ideal.

Last edited:
Likes Math Amateur
Thanks so much for your analysis Fresh 42 ... most helpful ...

Peter

Related to Corollary to Correspondence Theorem for Modules

1. What is the Corollary to Correspondence Theorem for Modules?

The Corollary to Correspondence Theorem for Modules is a mathematical result that states that there is a one-to-one correspondence between submodules of a given module and submodules of its quotient module. This means that every submodule of the quotient module corresponds to a unique submodule of the original module, and vice versa.

2. How is the Corollary to Correspondence Theorem for Modules related to the Correspondence Theorem for Modules?

The Corollary to Correspondence Theorem for Modules is a direct consequence of the Correspondence Theorem for Modules. It is essentially a simplified version of the original theorem, focusing specifically on the relationship between submodules and quotient modules.

3. What are the practical applications of the Corollary to Correspondence Theorem for Modules?

The Corollary to Correspondence Theorem for Modules is commonly used in abstract algebra, specifically in the study of module theory. It is also applicable in other areas of mathematics, such as commutative algebra and ring theory. In addition, it has practical applications in fields such as computer science and physics.

4. Can the Corollary to Correspondence Theorem for Modules be extended to other algebraic structures?

Yes, the Corollary to Correspondence Theorem for Modules can be extended to other algebraic structures such as rings and vector spaces. In these cases, the theorem would state a correspondence between substructures and quotient structures, similar to its application in module theory.

5. Are there any limitations to the Corollary to Correspondence Theorem for Modules?

One limitation of the Corollary to Correspondence Theorem for Modules is that it only applies to modules over a ring. It cannot be extended to non-module structures, such as groups or fields. Additionally, the theorem may not hold in certain cases where the underlying ring is not commutative or when the module is not finitely generated.