Correspondence Theorem for Groups .... Rotman, Propn 1.82 ....

In summary: Yes.The canonical map ##\pi## is a homomorphism (easy exercise). Hence, ##\pi(a) = \pi(s) \implies \pi(as^{-1}) = \pi(a)\pi(s)^{-1} = e \implies as^{-1} \in \operatorname{ker}\pi##Thanks Math_QED ... most helpful and clear ..
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading the book: "Advanced Modern Algebra" (Second Edition) by Joseph J. Rotman ...

I am currently focused on Chapter 1: Groups I ...

I need help with an aspect of the proof of Proposition 1.82 (Correspondence Theorem) ...

Proposition 1.82 reads as follows:
Rotman - 1 - Proposition 1.82 ... .png

Rotman - 2 - Proposition 1.82 ... .PART 2 .png

In the above proof by Rotman we read the following:

" ... ... For the reverse inclusion let ##a \in \pi^{-1} \pi (S)##, so that ##\pi (a) = \pi (s)## for some ##s \in S##. It follows that ##as^{-1} \in \text{ ker } \pi = K## ... ... "Can someone please explain exactly how/why ##\pi (a) = \pi (s)## implies that ##as^{-1} \in \text{ ker } \pi = K## ... ...?Peter

===========================================================================================***EDIT***

Just had some thoughts ... BUT ... unfortunately my logic does not seem to line up with Rotman's logic ...

My thoughts are as follows:

##\pi (a) = \pi (s)##

##\Longrightarrow aK = sK##

##\Longrightarrow a = sk## for some ##k \in K## since ##a## must belong to ##sK## ... ... (is this a legitimate step ...)

##\Longrightarrow s^{-1} a = k##

##\Longrightarrow as^{-1} = k##

##\Longrightarrow as^{-1} \in \text{ker } \pi = K##Is that correct?

BUT note ... logic is different from Rotman's set of steps ... ... what is Rotman's logic ...?Peter

Attachments

• Rotman - 1 - Proposition 1.82 ... .png
    Rotman - 1 - Proposition 1.82 ... .png
    47.7 KB · Views: 403
  • Rotman - 2 - Proposition 1.82 ... .PART 2 .png
    Rotman - 2 - Proposition 1.82 ... .PART 2 .png
    13.6 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
##\operatorname{ker}\pi = \{a \in G\,\vert \,\pi(a)=[e] \in G/K\}## and ##[e] \in G/K## is the coset ##e\cdot K##. Important is that ##\pi## is a group homomorphism:
$$
\pi(a)=\pi(s) \Longrightarrow \pi(a)\cdot \pi(s)^{-1}=\pi(as^{-1})=[e] \in G/K \Longrightarrow as^{-1}\in \operatorname{ker}\pi
$$
by definition of the kernel. Now which elements of ##G## map to ##G/K \ni [e]= e\cdot K\,##?

Likes Math Amateur
Hi fresh_42 ... thanks for the help ...

Which elements map to ##e_{G/K} = e_{G} K## ... ?

I think it is all the elements of the normal group ##K## ... Is that correct?

Peter

Math Amateur said:
Hi fresh_42 ... thanks for the help ...

Which elements map to ##e_{G/K} = e_{G} K## ... ?

I think it is all the elements of the normal group ##K## ... Is that correct?

Peter
Yes.

Likes Math Amateur
The canonical map ##\pi## is a homomorphism (easy exercise). Hence, ##\pi(a) = \pi(s) \implies \pi(as^{-1}) = \pi(a)\pi(s)^{-1} = e \implies as^{-1} \in \ker \pi##

Likes Math Amateur
Thanks Math_QED ... most helpful and clear ..

Peter

Related to Correspondence Theorem for Groups .... Rotman, Propn 1.82 ....

1. What is the Correspondence Theorem for Groups?

The Correspondence Theorem for Groups, also known as the Fourth Isomorphism Theorem, states that if H is a normal subgroup of a group G, then there is a one-to-one correspondence between the subgroups of G that contain H and the subgroups of G/H. This means that for every subgroup K of G that contains H, there is a corresponding subgroup K/H of G/H.

2. How does the Correspondence Theorem for Groups relate to normal subgroups?

The Correspondence Theorem for Groups is specifically related to normal subgroups, which are subgroups that are invariant under conjugation. This means that for any element g in G, the conjugate of a normal subgroup H, denoted as gHg^-1, is also a subgroup of G. The Correspondence Theorem provides a way to explore the relationship between subgroups and normal subgroups in a group.

3. What is the significance of the Correspondence Theorem for Groups?

The Correspondence Theorem for Groups is significant because it allows for a deeper understanding of the structure of a group. It provides a way to study subgroups and normal subgroups in relation to each other, and can also be used to prove other theorems in group theory.

4. Can the Correspondence Theorem for Groups be applied to any group?

Yes, the Correspondence Theorem for Groups can be applied to any group that has a normal subgroup. This includes finite and infinite groups, as well as abelian and non-abelian groups.

5. How is the Correspondence Theorem for Groups used in practice?

The Correspondence Theorem for Groups is used in various areas of mathematics, including abstract algebra, number theory, and topology. It can also be applied in real-world applications, such as cryptography and coding theory, where groups and subgroups play a crucial role in the design and analysis of algorithms.