Coriolis Effect - Vertical Shot, solution through integration?

In summary, the conversation is about a user's first time on a forum and their question about a physics problem involving a projectile being shot vertically into the air. The solution involves calculating the time and distance of the projectile's flight and includes assumptions about the Earth being an ideal globe. The user also mentions not receiving any replies to their post.
Malor
Hi, it's my first time on these forum, so I hope that I made this post correctly.

I have an example solution to this problem using tensors and matrices ^^ but I wanted to solve the problem in a different way and would like some feedback on whether or not this solution is correct.

Homework Statement

A gun shoots a projectile vertically into the air with an exit velocity of vvert=60ms-1 (assuming the nozzle is at sea level). Calculate the distance Δs, between the starting point and landing point of the projectile. Do this for the latitudes 0° and 51°. (neglect cascading effects)2. The attempt at a solution

Getting the time t for the whole process is a no-brainer:

v(t) = 0 = vvert-gt , g = const. => t1 = 6.1s => ttotal = 12.2s

Now to calculate Δs:

We assume that the Earth is an ideal globe, with a radius r = 6370000km. Basic geometry tells us that the distance from the axis of rotation is
R = sqrt(h(2r-h)) => R = sqrt(r²-r²sin²(α)) , α...latitude => R = r*cos(α)

The circumference of r(t) is the gives us the orbital velocity vB = const.:

r(t) = r + ∫v(t)dt

2∏r(0)/d = vB , d...day

vB is constant => ω can not be constant:

ω(t) = vB1/vB21 = u1/u21 = r/r(t)*ω1 (R1/R2 = r1/r2)

Angular acceleration: w'(t) = - (r*v(t))/(r+∫v(t)dt)² * ω1

Δω = ω1 ∫ -(r*v(t))/(r+∫v(t)dt)² dt

Δs = Δω*R*t = r*cos(α)*t*ω1 ∫ -(r*v(t))/(r+∫v(t)dt)² dt

Thank you for your troubles.

Physics news on Phys.org
150 views, no replies... did I put this in the wrong section? ;)

bumb

Related to Coriolis Effect - Vertical Shot, solution through integration?

1. What is the Coriolis Effect?

The Coriolis Effect is a phenomenon that describes the apparent deflection of objects, such as projectiles or air masses, caused by the Earth's rotation. This effect is most noticeable at large scales, such as weather patterns, and is caused by the difference in rotational speed at different latitudes on the Earth's surface.

2. How does the Coriolis Effect affect vertical shots?

The Coriolis Effect does not have a significant impact on vertical shots, as the motion of the object is primarily determined by its initial velocity and the force of gravity. However, for extremely long-range shots, the Coriolis Effect may cause a slight deviation in the trajectory due to the Earth's rotation.

3. What factors influence the magnitude of the Coriolis Effect?

The magnitude of the Coriolis Effect is influenced by the object's velocity, the latitude at which it is launched, and the duration of its flight. The larger the initial velocity and the longer the flight time, the greater the deflection caused by the Coriolis Effect. Additionally, the Coriolis Effect is strongest at the poles and weakest at the equator.

4. Can the Coriolis Effect be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the Coriolis Effect can be observed in everyday life, particularly in the movement of large-scale weather systems. For example, hurricanes and typhoons in the Northern Hemisphere rotate counterclockwise, while those in the Southern Hemisphere rotate clockwise, due to the Coriolis Effect.

5. How is the Coriolis Effect calculated for vertical shots?

The Coriolis Effect for vertical shots is typically calculated using mathematical equations and integration methods. These calculations take into account the object's initial velocity, flight time, and the Earth's rotation rate and latitude. They can also be affected by other factors, such as air resistance and wind speed.