Coriolis Effect On A Projectile

In summary, the problem involves firing a projectile eastwards and upwards at a given latitude with an initial velocity and neglecting air resistance and the effects of rotation. The equations of motion are provided, but their integration leads to a second degree differential equation that is difficult to solve analytically. Possible methods include considering the Coriolis force and solving for displacement, or breaking the problem down into small iterations. It is suggested that a computer may be necessary to solve this problem accurately.
mj478

Homework Statement

If you fire a projectile eastwards and upwards with a speed u=(uo,0,wo) at latitude theta, where will it land? You can neglect air resistance and (in the vertical momentum equation) the effects of rotation relative to a constant g. Sketch the solution(s). Find the landing place if g = 10m/s and u=(1000,0,1000)m/s.

Homework Equations

Du/Dt - fv = 0
Dv/Dt + fu = 0
Dw/Dt = -g

where f = 2*Omega sin (theta) = 10^-4 1/s

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the projectile will move to the right due to coriolis effect, but I don't understand how to actually calculate the landing place.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are those equations given? From the text it sounds like you should only neglect air resistance in the vertical.

Anyway, they must be integrated up so you have velocity as a function of time. Then I believe you must integrate again to get the position as a function of time. Is it a numerical (computer) problem or an analytical one?

I don't think we are supposed to use a computer. The equations weren't given in the problem, but the prof said in class that we would need them to solve the problem.

Ok, so all air resistance could be ignored then. Such things are impossible without a computer anyway, and you don't got no equation for it either. Ok.. i think we first have to integrate all the equations to we get the actual velocities and not the acceleration.

∫Du/Dt dt= ∫fv dt
∫Dv/Dt dt= -∫fu dt
∫Dw/Dt dt= -∫g dt

integrating with respect to time yields,

u(t) = fvt+C
v(t) = -fut+C
w(t) = gt+C

Now you insert your initial conditions, which is u(t=0) = u0 , v(t=0) = 0 and w(t=0) = w0
This means that when you actually set t to equal 0 in the integrated equations, they should be equal to these conditions. They are 1000m/s, but let's keep the symbols for now.

initial conditions gives simply the values for C in this case:
u(t) = fvt + u0
v(t) = -fut
w(t) = gt + w0

These equations seem to make very much sense regarding the velocity. But then...
I was about to integrate these again to gain an expression for distance versus time, but I realized that it's not that easy, because v and u are functions of time as well.. hmm... I got to think this one over later.. perhaps inserting the value v(t) into the value for v in the first equation and vice versa. Other ideas out there?

any other insightful ideas?

Last edited:
vertical equation integrated with time gives: S(t) = 0.5gt^2 + w0*t

solve this one and for t and set S = 0 to find how long the projectile is in the air. then you know a whole lot more.

I haven't done a problem like this for a long time (so take this with a pinch of salt), but could you use the equation for the (apparent) Coriolis Force? This way you could calculate an acceleration experienced by the particle, and given the time in the air, you would know its displacement.

I got the time the projectile is in the air from basic kinematics. I am stuck trying to solve a second degree DE for u. I took the derivative of the first eqn and substituted in from the second one to get:

u'' -(f^2)v' = 0.

The characteristic equation doesn't have real roots. So I am having trouble getting an actual number for u at a given time.

I'm starting to have doubts whether this is possible to do analytically. If the problem could be broken down to many small iterations, one could assume that v and u was constant within each iteration, and it would be no problem solving this... but that would require a computer.

I hope someone can answer this, or I hope you will if you eventually get the solution from your professor. I'm studying meteorology and should know this! :rolleyes:

Related to Coriolis Effect On A Projectile

What is the Coriolis Effect?

The Coriolis Effect is a phenomenon in which objects or fluids that are moving in a rotating frame of reference experience a force that deflects them to the right in the Northern Hemisphere and to the left in the Southern Hemisphere.

How does the Coriolis Effect affect projectiles?

The Coriolis Effect can affect the trajectory of a projectile by causing it to deviate from its intended path. This is due to the fact that the Earth is constantly rotating, and the projectile inherits some of that rotational velocity.

What factors can influence the Coriolis Effect on a projectile?

The strength of the Coriolis Effect on a projectile is influenced by several factors, including the speed and direction of the projectile, the latitude of the launch site, and the distance traveled by the projectile.

Can the Coriolis Effect impact long-range artillery fire?

Yes, the Coriolis Effect can significantly impact the accuracy of long-range artillery fire. In some cases, the effect can cause a projectile to miss its target by several meters, making it crucial for artillery operators to take it into account when calculating firing solutions.

Is the Coriolis Effect the same all over the Earth?

No, the Coriolis Effect varies depending on the location on Earth. The effect is strongest at the poles and weakest at the equator. This is due to the Earth's shape and rotation speed, which changes as you move closer to the poles.