Mass shot into orbit; find max distance from Earth

In summary, to calculate the maximum height of a projectile launched from the Earth's surface at an angle α with an initial speed v0, the conservation laws of energy and angular momentum must be applied to the projectile's orbit. The potential energy is at a maximum at the apogee, so the maximum height can be determined by comparing energy and angular momentum between launch and apogee. The mass of the projectile is not necessary for this calculation.
oddjobmj

Homework Statement

A projectile of mass m is fired from the surface of the Earth at an angle α from the vertical, where α = 0.46 radians. The initial speed v0 is equal to √{GM/Rearth}. Calculate the maximum height that the projectile will reach. Neglect air resistance and the Earth's rotation. Express the result as the ratio to the radius of the Earth. [Hint: Apply the conservation laws to the orbit of the projectile.]

Homework Equations

E=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]m[itex]\dot{r}[/itex]2+Ueff(r)

Ueff(r)=[itex]\frac{L^2}{2mr^2}[/itex]+U(r)

The Attempt at a Solution

Intuitively speaking the mass will go into orbit and because we're not necessarily near the surface of the Earth the potential is not mgh. Also, the orbit must be bound or the answer would be infinity. If the mass is in orbit I could compare the effective potential of two points in the orbit but I don't see how to make a useful comparison with the information I am provided. What would be the variable of comparison?

Should I be comparing the initial kinetic energy to that of a mass in orbit? I can't seem to figure out how to cancel out v02 if that is the case:

[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mv02=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]m[itex]\dot{r}[/itex]2+Ueff(r)

Any suggestions? Thank you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the object is fired from the surface at some angle other than zero, then eventually the object will impact back into the earth, unless it reaches or exceeds escape velocity.

Getting back to the problem statement, you're given the initial energy (potential + kinetic) and the angle. You need to determine when the potential energy is at a maximum and kinetic energy is at a minimum, which will correspond to the maximum height. You may need to determine the parameters of the elliptical path.

Likes 1 person
I was given the speed. I don't have the object's mass. I don't know how to represent its energy in terms of v0 besides 1/2mv^2 which won't work here.

The potential is at a maximum at the apogee. How I know where the apogee is I am not sure.

E=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mv2-[itex]\frac{GMm}{r}[/itex]

Last edited:
Try comparing energy (KE+PE) and angular momentum about Earth's centre between launch and apogee. You won't need to know the mass - that will cancel out.

I would first clarify the problem by stating the known variables and assumptions. The known variables are the mass of the projectile (m), the angle at which it is fired (α), and the initial speed (v0). The assumptions are that air resistance and Earth's rotation are neglected.

Next, I would approach the problem by using the conservation of energy and angular momentum. The total energy of the projectile is equal to the sum of its kinetic energy and its potential energy. Since the projectile is in orbit, its kinetic energy is equal to its potential energy. This can be expressed as:

E = K + U = 2K = 2Ueff

Using the equation for effective potential, we can solve for the maximum height that the projectile will reach:

\frac{L^2}{2mr_{max}^2}+U(r_{max}) = \frac{1}{2}mv_0^2

We can also use the equation for the initial speed to substitute for v0:

\frac{L^2}{2mr_{max}^2}+U(r_{max}) = \frac{GMm}{2R_{earth}}

Since we are looking for the maximum height, we can set the derivative of this equation with respect to r equal to 0:

\frac{-L^2}{mr_{max}^3}+\frac{dU(r_{max})}{dr} = 0

Solving for rmax, we get:

r_{max} = \frac{L^2}{GMm^2} = \frac{L^2}{GM^2v_0^2}

Substituting for L and v0, we get:

r_{max} = \frac{GM}{m^2} \cdot \frac{m^2r_{earth}^2}{GM^2} = \frac{r_{earth}^2}{M}

Therefore, the maximum height that the projectile will reach is equal to the radius of the Earth (rmax = rearth). We can express this as a ratio to the radius of the Earth:

\frac{r_{max}}{r_{earth}} = 1

In conclusion, the maximum distance from Earth that the projectile will reach is equal to the radius of the Earth, as expected from the conservation of energy and angular momentum in a circular orbit.

Related to Mass shot into orbit; find max distance from Earth

1. How is mass shot into orbit?

Mass can be shot into orbit using rockets or other launch vehicles. These vehicles use powerful engines to propel the mass into space and place it in orbit around the Earth.

2. What factors affect the max distance that a mass can be shot into orbit?

The max distance that a mass can be shot into orbit is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity of the mass, the angle at which it is launched, and the gravitational pull of the Earth. Other factors such as atmospheric conditions and the shape of the orbit can also play a role.

3. How do scientists calculate the max distance of a mass shot into orbit?

Scientists use mathematical equations and computer simulations to calculate the max distance that a mass can be shot into orbit. These calculations take into account the mass of the object, the force of gravity, and other factors mentioned above.

4. What is the significance of finding the max distance of a mass shot into orbit?

Finding the max distance that a mass can be shot into orbit is important for space exploration and satellite missions. It allows scientists to plan and execute missions more efficiently, as well as understand the limitations and capabilities of launch vehicles.

5. How does the max distance of a mass shot into orbit affect its orbit around the Earth?

The max distance of a mass shot into orbit affects its orbit by determining its altitude and speed. Objects that are shot into orbit at a higher max distance will have a higher orbit and travel at a faster speed, while objects with a lower max distance will have a lower orbit and travel at a slower speed.