Converting infinite series into an integral - intuition

In summary, when converting an infinite series into an integral, the method involves replacing r/n with x, 1/n with dx, and Ʃ with ∫. This method works by understanding the definition of a Riemann sum and setting the sum as a Riemann sum from a partition of an interval. There is no general rule for this conversion, and it is important to understand the definition in order to apply it in physics.
jd12345
Question : How do i convert an infinite series into an integral?

I searched a few sites and the method given is as follows
replace r/n by x
repalce1/n by dx
replace Ʃ by ∫

which works perfectly fine when i tried a few examples but i don't understand the intuition behind it. Why this method works? IS there any kind of derivation? Why this is been done and how it works - please explain me

Thank you

P.S. - i just joined physicsforum

Physics news on Phys.org
What level of math background do you have? Take a look at how integral is defined via Riemann sum and see if that makes sense.

Didnt make much sense - my text only gave me the rules of converting an infinite series to an integral as stated above for which i am trying to find an intutiion. I am a 12th grade student by the way - so is it under my scope to get the derivation of converting an infinite series to an integral??

IF not provide me the link or give the solution so that i am atleast satisfied that the method does not come out of the blue

Would this link be clearer? If not, which part is not clear?

oh i think you got my question wrong - your link tells me how we can find integration through summation too which is not what i am asking
Ill give you an example of what i am trying to ask
the question comes like this :-
Find value of lim n--> ∞1/n Ʃ 1 + r/n ...limits of summation is from 0 to n
So when i convert this to an integral i get the answer as ∫(1+x)dx limits :- 0 to 1

Its easy to do this by following rules : replace r/n by x, 1/n by dx
IF and b are limits of summation then limits of integral will be limit n --> infinity a/n and b/n

These are the rules to convert infinite sum to an integral. But my question is : From where does these rules come from? Any derivation?

A very general way is
IF summation is lim n-->∞ 1/n Ʃ f ( a + b. r/n)
then we can write it as an integral as ∫f(a + bx) dx
limtis of integral can be found by the rules given above

So i want to know how this happened. How do we convert series to an integral

Hi jd!

yenchin's link is quite good. As he says, it comes from the very definition. They key is just to understand the definition, from discrete sums to continuum (integral) in the limit. I think there is no general rule, no "mechanical" way.
Go to the definition and set this sum as a Riemann sum from a partition of an interval like [0,1]. It could also be [1,2] while integrating the identity f(x)=x, so, no general rule.

Get prepared to apply this when you study some physics. I began to understand mathematical analysis at the same time I began to study physics.

Related to Converting infinite series into an integral - intuition

1. What is the process of converting infinite series into an integral?

The process involves finding a function that represents the terms of the infinite series, determining the limits of integration, and then evaluating the integral. This allows us to represent the infinite sum as a single definite integral.

2. Why would someone want to convert an infinite series into an integral?

Converting an infinite series into an integral can make it easier to calculate and analyze. It also allows us to apply techniques from calculus to solve problems involving infinite series.

3. How do I know when it is appropriate to convert an infinite series into an integral?

Infinite series can be converted into integrals when the terms of the series can be represented by a function and the series converges. The convergence of the series can be determined by various tests, such as the ratio or comparison test.

4. Is there a general formula for converting an infinite series into an integral?

No, there is not a single formula that can be applied to all infinite series. The process of converting an infinite series into an integral may vary depending on the specific series and its terms.

5. Are there any limitations to converting infinite series into integrals?

Converting infinite series into integrals is not always possible. Some series may not have a function representation or may not converge, making it impossible to convert them into integrals.