Why is the infinite series 1 - 1 + 1 - 1 + 1 - 1... considered divergent?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that the infinite series 1 - 1 + 1 - 1 + 1 - 1... is divergent. The experts explain that by definition, a series is convergent if the sequence of partial sums converges. They then discuss the sequence involved in the series and conclude that it is divergent. The experts also clarify that the starting index can be any integer.
eprparadox
Hello!

How can I justify that the infinite series 1 - 1 + 1 - 1 + 1 - 1... is divergent?

If I were to look at this, I see every two terms canceling out and thus, and assume that it is convergent since the sum doesn't blow up. That's what my intuition would tell me.

I know I can use different tests to figure out that it is divergent, but I don't have an intuition for why it's so.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
By definition, a series ##\sum a_n## is convergent if the sequence

[tex]a_1,~a_1+a_2,~a_1+a_2+a_3,~a_1+a_2+a_3+a_4,...[/tex]

is convergent.

So in your case, you have to investigate the sequence

[tex]1,~1-1,~1-1+1,~1-1+1-1,~1-1+1-1+1,...[/tex]

Is this sequence convergent?

So you're saying that for a series to converge, it's the series of partial sums (that's the correct term right?) must also converge?

And it's just alternating between the values 0 and 1 infinitely. So yeah it is divergent.

Thanks so much.

eprparadox said:
So you're saying that for a series to converge, it's the series of partial sums (that's the correct term right?) must also converge?

Yes, the sequence of partial sums must converge. That's the definition of when a series converges.

For a given series ##\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}a_n##, there are two sequences that are involved:
The sequence of terms in the series: {a0, a1, a2, ... , an, ...}.
The sequence of partial sums: {a0, a0 + a1, a0 + a1 + a2, ... }.

As micromass already said, if the sequence of partial sums converges to a number, then the series itself converves to that same number.

Note that I showed a series that starts with an index of 0. The starting index can be some other integer.

Last edited:
awesome, thanks so much guys!

Related to Why is the infinite series 1 - 1 + 1 - 1 + 1 - 1... considered divergent?

What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a mathematical concept that involves adding an infinite number of terms together. Each term in the series is connected to the previous term by a specific rule or pattern.

How can I develop intuition for infinite series?

Developing intuition for infinite series involves understanding the concept of convergence and divergence. Convergent series are those whose sum approaches a finite value, while divergent series have sums that approach infinity. Practice with different types of series and their convergence or divergence can help develop intuition.

What are some common strategies for evaluating infinite series?

Some common strategies for evaluating infinite series include using geometric series, telescoping series, and power series. Other techniques such as the ratio test and the root test can also be used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series.

How do infinite series relate to real-world applications?

Infinite series have many real-world applications, particularly in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. For example, power series are used in engineering to approximate complicated functions, while infinite series are used in finance to calculate interest and compound growth.

What role do infinite series play in calculus?

Infinite series are an important concept in calculus, particularly in the study of limits and integration. Understanding the convergence and divergence of infinite series is crucial in determining the convergence of integrals and in finding the solutions to differential equations.