Converting Inches to Feet in a Floor Plan Scale

• MHB
  • Thread starter Bruno1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plan Scale
In summary, the speaker has a floor plan with a scale of 1/8 inch = 1 ft and is having difficulty converting measurements from inches to feet. They used a ruler to measure a rectangular room with a length of 2.6875 inches and a width of 1.3125 inches, which should convert to 21.5 ft and 10.5 ft respectively. However, the architect labeled the room as 3,032 sq ft, which does not match the calculated area of 225.75 sq ft. The speaker is unsure if they made a mistake in their calculations or if the architect made a mistake in the labeling or scale of the floor plan.
Bruno1
I have a floor plan where 1/8 inch = 1 ft. The architect labeled the square footage in each room, but not the measurements from wall to wall, so I measured with a ruler and now I'm having a difficult time converting from inches to feet. I'll use one rectangular room as an example.

View attachment 2172My measuremeants were
Length = 2.6875 inches
Width = 1.3125 inches

I thought I should multiple by 8 to solve for feet. This would give me
Length= 21.5 ft
Width = 10.5 ft

That would mean the area of the room is 225.75 sq ft (10.5*21.5), but the architect wrote that this room is 3,032 sq ft.

Where am I making a mistake, in calculating the conversion from inches to feet, calculating the area, or reading the conversion key?

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• FloorPlanScale.JPG
    FloorPlanScale.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 50
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Bruno said:
I have a floor plan where 1/8 inch = 1 ft. The architect labeled the square footage in each room, but not the measurements from wall to wall, so I measured with a ruler and now I'm having a difficult time converting from inches to feet. I'll use one rectangular room as an example.

View attachment 2172My measuremeants were
Length = 2.6875 inches
Width = 1.3125 inches

I thought I should multiple by 8 to solve for feet. This would give me
Length= 21.5 ft
Width = 10.5 ft

That would mean the area of the room is 225.75 sq ft (10.5*21.5), but the architect wrote that this room is 3,032 sq ft.

Where am I making a mistake, in calculating the conversion from inches to feet, calculating the area, or reading the conversion key?

Thank you in advance!

you are not making a mistake the calculation is perfect in each step. The architect is doing a mistake.l

Welcome to MHB, Bruno! :)

Indeed, your calculation is fine.

Looks like one of:
  • the scale was really 30 feet to an inch,
  • the area of 3032 square feet is of a larger area than you think,
  • the area of 3032 square feet is plain wrong.

Related to Converting Inches to Feet in a Floor Plan Scale

1. What is the formula for converting inches to feet in a floor plan scale?

The formula for converting inches to feet in a floor plan scale is to simply divide the number of inches by 12. This will give you the equivalent measurement in feet. For example, if you have a measurement of 36 inches, dividing by 12 would give you 3 feet.

2. How do I determine the scale of a floor plan?

To determine the scale of a floor plan, you need to look for a labeled scale bar on the plan. This is typically located in a corner of the plan and will show the ratio of the plan's measurements to the actual measurements. For example, a scale bar of 1/4" = 1' means that every 1/4 inch on the plan represents 1 foot in real life.

3. Can I use a calculator to convert inches to feet in a floor plan scale?

Yes, you can use a calculator to convert inches to feet in a floor plan scale. Simply enter the number of inches and divide by 12 to get the equivalent measurement in feet.

4. How do I convert from feet to inches in a floor plan scale?

To convert from feet to inches in a floor plan scale, you would multiply the number of feet by 12. This will give you the equivalent measurement in inches. For example, if you have a measurement of 4 feet, multiplying by 12 would give you 48 inches.

5. Why is it important to accurately convert inches to feet in a floor plan scale?

It is important to accurately convert inches to feet in a floor plan scale because it ensures that the proportions and measurements on the plan are accurate and to scale. This is crucial for planning and building projects, as even a small error in measurement can lead to significant problems and delays.