Can Excel be Used to Minimize Waste in Diagonal Flooring Layouts?

• Thread starter GENIERE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Practical
In summary, the speaker is discussing their plan to replace their carpet with Pergo flooring and their wife's desire to have the planks run diagonally. They share a method for planning the layout using Excel and seek help in finding a square with near integer values for its side and diagonal. A solution is provided using the formula "=A1*sqrt(2)" in Excel. The speaker expresses gratitude for the help and notes that this formula is accurate to about 1 part in 20,000.
GENIERE
This is a math problem, but requires a little preface.

In my home I am going to replace the wall-to-wall carpeting with Pergo type flooring. This type of flooring is less than half the price of real hardwood planks. Each “fake” wood plank varies in width and length depending on the manufacturer, but generally about 48” x 7.5 inches. Actual measurements are metric but in the US you’re usually provided the nearest inch equivalent. My wife wants the planks to run diagonally (45 degrees) across the floors in most rooms and also incorporate some “patterns”. Women! With the large square footage, wastage because of the diagonal run will probably cost me an additional $1500.00 - $20000.00. I’d like to minimize the waste.

Hmmm! This preface is taking longer than I thought so I apologize to the readers. Please bear with me a little longer.

When I replaced my Kitchen cabinets, I was in need of graph paper to plan the layout. Having none, I decided to print out a blank Excel spread sheet with the “squares” set to the appropriate number of pixels. Once in Excel, I realized I could simply color in the squares to simulate cabinet location and obtain exact measurements using a few simple Excel macros. The manufacturer's computer plans agreed closely with mine and the small error was theirs.

I’d like to use Excel again to plan the flooring layout and calculate waste. The problem is I need to find the diagonal of a square such the length of sides and the length of the diagonal are as close to integer values as is possible. Hopefully the decimal can be xx.99xxx. Each integer value will represent a convenient number of pixels on the spreadsheet.

My last calculus course was taken over 45 years ago and I haven’t used it in over 30 years. I’m hoping the number of pixels for the sides can be less then 20 to keep the as much displayed in one window as possible at 100% magnification.

I’d be very grateful if someone could supply an answer, trial and error has not worked.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
So you want a square whose side and diagonal are both nearly integers ? The easiest way to do this would be on Excel itself. In column A you have sides = 1,2,3,... and in B1 you enter "=A1*sqrt(2)". Then just check column B for near integer values.

Here's a few that you can choose from :

side,diagonal

5, 7.07 (not great)
12, 16.97 (better)
17, 24.04 (about the same as the previous)
29, 41.01 (the best yet, but a little large)

tiling patterns here

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
So you want a square whose side and diagonal are both nearly integers ? The easiest way to do this would be on Excel itself. In column A you have sides = 1,2,3,... and in B1 you enter "=A1*sqrt(2)". Then just check column B for near integer values…

Now I am embarrassed. Many thanks!

sqrt(2) approx equal 99/70 is a pretty close approximation. Is accurate to about 1 part in 20,000. :)

Related to Can Excel be Used to Minimize Waste in Diagonal Flooring Layouts?

1. What is a practical problem?

A practical problem is a real-life issue or challenge that requires a solution. It can be anything from a technological malfunction to a societal issue.

2. Why is it important to solve practical problems?

Solving practical problems is crucial because it allows us to improve our lives and the world around us. It helps us overcome obstacles and make progress in various fields.

3. How do scientists approach practical problems?

Scientists approach practical problems by using the scientific method, which involves identifying the problem, conducting research, formulating a hypothesis, testing it through experiments, and analyzing the results. This process helps in developing evidence-based solutions.

4. What are some examples of practical problems that scientists have solved?

Some examples of practical problems that scientists have solved include finding a cure for diseases, developing renewable energy sources, creating new technologies, and improving agricultural practices.

5. Can anyone solve practical problems, or do you need to be a scientist?

Anyone can attempt to solve practical problems, but having a scientific background and understanding of the scientific method can greatly help in finding effective solutions. However, collaboration between scientists and individuals from other fields is also essential in solving practical problems.

Back