Convert second order of diff. equations to first order

In summary, the conversation discusses converting a set of second order equations with matrices into first order equations. The equations involve a coordinate system and constants M and K, with C=0. The conversation also mentions the possibility of recognizing a corresponding scalar equation and solving it by diagonalizing matrices.
Basem

Homework Statement

I have this set of equation:
My''+Cy'+Ky=0 but C=0
M is a matrix consist of {(-m) (0)/( -1/12mb^2) (-1/12mb^3)}
and K is a matrix of {(-K1-K2) (-K2b)/ ((K1b-K2b)/(2)) (-K2b^2/2)}
and y is a coordinate system which is (x1,θ)
Now i have to convert these two equations of second order to first order and i really got lost since its two equations and using matrices.
We can stack y' and y into z
so the final equation will be : z'=Az
Can anybody guide me how to do it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If M and K were just constants and y were a single variable, would you recognise the equation?

John Park said:
If M and K were just constants and y were a single variable, would you recognise the equation?
I didn't really get what u mean? what do you mean y is a single variable? its a coordinate system (x1,θ)

Last edited by a moderator:
what do you mean y is a single variable? its a coordinate system (x1,θ)

I know that; that's what "if . . . y were" implies. I'm asking if you recognise the corresponding scalar equation with C=0, which is often solved by reducing it to first order.

Last edited:
Basem said:
My''+Cy'+Ky=0 but C=0
Assuming M-1K is invertible, you can diagonalise it as P-1DP.
See if that gives you some clues.
@Basem, do you need more hints?

Last edited:

Related to Convert second order of diff. equations to first order

1. What is the purpose of converting a second order differential equation to a first order one?

The purpose of converting a second order differential equation to a first order one is to simplify the problem and make it easier to solve. First order differential equations are typically easier to manipulate and solve compared to second order ones.

2. How do you convert a second order differential equation to a first order one?

To convert a second order differential equation to a first order one, you can introduce a new variable, typically denoted as y', to represent the derivative of the original variable. This will result in a system of two first order differential equations, which can be solved together to find the solution to the original second order equation.

3. Can all second order differential equations be converted to first order ones?

Yes, all second order differential equations can be converted to first order ones. This is because any second order equation can be rewritten as a system of two first order equations, as mentioned in the previous answer.

4. What are the advantages of converting a second order differential equation to a first order one?

Converting a second order differential equation to a first order one can make the problem easier to solve and can also provide more insight into the behavior of the system. It can also allow for the use of numerical methods to approximate the solution if an analytical solution is not possible.

5. Are there any limitations to converting a second order differential equation to a first order one?

One limitation is that the conversion process may result in a more complex system of first order equations compared to the original second order equation. This may make the problem more difficult to solve and may require more computational resources. Additionally, some physical systems may inherently be described by second order equations and cannot be converted to first order ones.