Convert ellipsoid from cartesian to spherical equation

In summary, the conversation was about converting an ellipsoid from cartesian to spherical coordinates. The equations used for spherical coordinates were discussed, and the attempt at a solution involved using the formulas found on a math website. Eventually, the solution was found using the given formulas.
ArcanaNoir

Homework Statement

In order to advance on a problem I'm working, I need to covert this ellipsoid from cartesian to spherical coordinates.
[tex] \frac{x^2}{a^2} +\frac{y^2}{b^2} +\frac{z^2}{c^2} = 1 [/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] x^2 +y^2+z^2= \rho ^2 [/tex]
[tex] x=\rho sin \phi cos \theta [/tex]
[tex] y= \rho sin \phi sin \theta [/tex]
[tex] z= \rho cos \phi [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to use those formulas because they look like they would only work with a sphere. I don't know. It's been a semester since calc three and we didn't do spherical coordinates anyway. What do I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
using what I foud here: http://math.wikia.com/wiki/Ellipsoid

would I have
[tex] x=asin\phi cos \theta [/tex]
[tex] y=bsin \phi sin \theta [/tex]
[tex] z= ccos\phi [/tex]

Thus, [tex] \rho ^2= a^2 sin^2 \phi cos^2 \theta + b^2 sin^2 \phi sin ^2 \theta + c^2 cos ^2 \phi [/tex] ?

Looks like you've solved it! :)

Related to Convert ellipsoid from cartesian to spherical equation

1. What is the difference between cartesian and spherical coordinates?

Cartesian coordinates, also known as rectangular coordinates, use three perpendicular axes (x, y, and z) to locate points in three-dimensional space. Spherical coordinates, on the other hand, use a combination of two angles (θ and φ) and a distance (r) to locate points on the surface of a sphere.

2. Why would I need to convert an ellipsoid from cartesian to spherical equation?

Converting an ellipsoid from cartesian to spherical equation can be useful in a variety of scientific and engineering applications. For example, it allows for easier visualization and analysis of data in three-dimensional space, and can simplify certain calculations such as finding distances and angles.

3. What is the formula for converting an ellipsoid from cartesian to spherical equation?

The formula for converting from cartesian coordinates (x, y, z) to spherical coordinates (r, θ, φ) is:
r = √(x² + y² + z²)
θ = arccos(z / r)
φ = arctan(y / x)

4. Are there any limitations to converting an ellipsoid from cartesian to spherical equation?

Yes, there are a few limitations to consider when converting between cartesian and spherical coordinates. One limitation is that the conversion is not always unique, meaning that a single set of cartesian coordinates can correspond to multiple sets of spherical coordinates. Additionally, the conversion may not be valid for all points on the ellipsoid, and may only be accurate within a certain range of values.

5. Can I convert from spherical to cartesian coordinates as well?

Yes, it is possible to convert from spherical to cartesian coordinates using a slightly different set of formulas:
x = r sin(θ) cos(φ)
y = r sin(θ) sin(φ)
z = r cos(θ)
These formulas may be useful in certain applications, such as converting data from a spherical coordinate system to a cartesian coordinate system for plotting or analysis.