Conversion of physics degree to meng in aerospace

In summary, the conversation is about the possibility of the speaker, who is in their final year of a Physics BSc, moving to an Aerospace MEng after graduation. They have concerns about their grade and whether they will need to do a conversion supplementary year. A friend with a 3.6+ GPA in Physics and a Masters in Aerospace is currently applying to PhD programs and doing research with NASA. The speaker's GPA equivalent is 3.0 and they are worried their potential BSc grade may be too low for a conversion program. However, others have been accepted into engineering programs with a similar GPA due to their research and internship experience.
Phyll999
I am in my final year doing a physics bsc but max i can achieve is a 2.2 grade.
I'm looking to do a conversion to an aerospace MEng after graduation, however i'd like to ask;

1. Do you think typically I could move to an M Eng course ( 1 year )directly after getting the degree?
2. Would I typically need to do a conversion supplementary year ?
3. Will my grade at Physics determine whether this is possible, since only top grades would typically be accepted for MEng course directly?

Physics news on Phys.org
A good friend of mine graduated with a BS in physics and just finished up a masters in aerospace. I believe now she is applying to Phd programs and is doing research with NASA AMES(sp?). She has a 3.6+ gpa though. If your 2.2 is out of a 4.0 then I suspect that this will be much to low in order to get into a MEng but you never know. Good luck to you!

Thanks the gpa equivalent is 3.0 to a uk 2.2.
My concern was whilst i thought it was possible, my potential bsc grade would be too low for a conversion, and they would only take gpa 3.5's or above.

I did my undergrad in physics and then switched to aerospace engineering for my MS degree. It's certainly doable, and you'll probably find some of the engineering math courses easy. Do you have any research and/or internship experience? That will really help your application. I don't think there's a minimum GPA you need in order to apply. I know people with GPAs around the 3.0 mark who managed to get accepted into universities with great engineering programs. Their research experience is what really helped their applications.

I understand your interest in pursuing a career in aerospace and your desire to convert your physics degree to an MEng in aerospace. Here are my responses to your questions:

1. It is possible to move directly to an MEng course after completing your physics degree, but it ultimately depends on the specific requirements of the university or program you are interested in. Some universities may have specific prerequisites or minimum grade requirements for their MEng programs, so it would be best to research and reach out to the admissions office of the university you are interested in to determine if you are eligible to apply directly.

2. In some cases, a conversion supplementary year may be required for students who do not have a background in engineering. This is usually to ensure that students have the necessary foundational knowledge and skills to succeed in an MEng program. Again, it is best to check with the specific university or program you are interested in to determine if a conversion year is necessary for your situation.

3. While top grades may be preferred for MEng programs, it is not always the determining factor for acceptance. Admissions committees also consider other factors such as relevant coursework, research experience, and letters of recommendation. However, having a good grade in your physics degree will certainly increase your chances of being accepted into an MEng program.

In conclusion, it is possible to convert your physics degree to an MEng in aerospace, but it is important to research and understand the specific requirements and processes for the university or program you are interested in. I wish you all the best in your pursuit of an MEng in aerospace.

Related to Conversion of physics degree to meng in aerospace

1. What is the difference between a physics degree and a MEng in aerospace?

A physics degree focuses on the fundamental principles and theories of physics, while a MEng in aerospace is a more specialized degree that combines physics with engineering principles specifically related to aerospace technology and design.

2. Can I pursue a MEng in aerospace with a physics degree?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a MEng in aerospace with a physics degree. However, some universities may have specific requirements or prerequisites for admission into their MEng program.

3. Will my physics degree prepare me for a MEng in aerospace?

Yes, a physics degree can provide a strong foundation for a MEng in aerospace. The core physics courses will provide a solid understanding of key concepts, and additional courses in mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism can also be beneficial.

4. What career opportunities are available with a MEng in aerospace?

A MEng in aerospace can lead to various career opportunities in the aerospace industry, such as aerospace engineer, flight operations engineer, aerospace systems analyst, or research and development engineer.

5. How long does it take to complete a MEng in aerospace?

The duration of a MEng in aerospace program can vary depending on the university and whether you are studying full-time or part-time. Generally, it can take 1-2 years to complete a MEng program.