Convergence and divergence of a series

In summary: For example, if one of the series has only finitely many nonzero terms then the sum is still convergent.In summary, the conversation discusses finding whether a series is convergent or divergent and using the ratio test to determine this. The problem involves simplifying a fraction with a fractional part in both the numerator and denominator, and also suggests breaking the series into two parts to see if they are absolutely convergent.
smart_worker
B]1. Homework Statement [/B]
Find whether the series is convergent or divergent

Homework Equations

lim.JPG

The Attempt at a Solution

By ratio test I have,
limit.JPG

I would apply L'Hôpital's rule to find the value of limit but before that how do i simplify the expression? It has fractional part both in the numerator as well as in the denominator.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
smart_worker said:
B]1. Homework Statement [/B]
Find whether the series is convergent or divergent

Homework Equations

View attachment 74254

The Attempt at a Solution

By ratio test I have,
View attachment 74255

I would apply L'Hôpital's rule to find the value of limit but before that how do i simplify the expression? It has fractional part both in the numerator as well as in the denominator.

Just use elementary high-school algebra. Alternatively, look more carefully at the problem before even starting. Maybe the ratio test won't work; there are times when it doesn't.

Consider breaking it into two sums...the sum of convergent series is convergent, however if one diverges, the sum of the two diverges (generally).

If you want to simplify the large fraction in
[tex]
\lim_{n\to \infty} \left(\dfrac{\left(\dfrac{(n+1)^2}{2^{n+1}} + \dfrac{1}{(n+1)^2}\right)}{\dfrac{n^2}{2^n} + \dfrac 1 {n^2}}\right)
[/tex]

treat it the way you would a complex fraction. As has been stated above, however, I'm not sure this approach will generate a positive result.

Think about the idea that if both [itex] \sum_{i=1}^\infty a_n[/itex] and [itex] \sum_{i=1}^\infty b_n [/itex] are absolutely convergent then
[itex] \sum_{i=1}^\infty \left(a_n + b_n \right) [/itex] is absolutely convergent.

RUber said:
Consider breaking it into two sums...the sum of convergent series is convergent, however if one diverges, the sum of the two diverges (generally).
Not sure what you mean by "generally" other than perhaps it means "sometimes" because you know it's false in general.

Likes RUber

Related to Convergence and divergence of a series

1. What is the definition of convergence and divergence of a series?

The convergence and divergence of a series refers to whether the terms in the series approach a finite value (converge) or increase without bound (diverge) as the number of terms in the series increases.

2. How do you determine if a series converges or diverges?

There are several tests that can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series, such as the ratio test, the root test, and the comparison test. These tests involve comparing the series to a known convergent or divergent series and evaluating the limit of the terms in the series.

3. What is the importance of understanding the convergence and divergence of a series?

Understanding the convergence and divergence of a series is important in many areas of mathematics and physics. It allows us to determine the behavior of infinite sums, which are often used to model real-world phenomena. Additionally, it helps us to evaluate the accuracy of numerical approximations and to determine the convergence of numerical algorithms.

4. Can a series converge and diverge at the same time?

No, a series cannot converge and diverge at the same time. A series can either converge to a finite value or diverge to infinity, but it cannot do both simultaneously.

5. How does the rate of convergence or divergence affect the behavior of a series?

The rate of convergence or divergence determines how quickly the terms in a series approach the finite value or increase without bound. A series that converges quickly is considered to be more desirable than one that converges slowly, as it requires fewer terms to reach a certain level of accuracy. Similarly, a series that diverges slowly is considered to be less problematic than one that diverges quickly, as it may still be possible to work with the series by truncating it after a certain number of terms.