Conventional Operators in Group Theory Homework

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of operators in group theory and specifically addresses the question of whether Z mod 14 should be assumed to have an unspecified operator of addition. It is concluded that Z mod 14 is not a group under multiplication due to the lack of inverses for all elements, making addition the only suitable operator. Additionally, it is noted that Z mod 14 with multiplication is denoted as (Z/14Z)x or (Z/14Z)*, indicating the removal of elements without inverses.
chinye11

Homework Statement

I've just started to study group theory, and i keep encountering questions where no operators are specified so i was wondering if there was a conventional operator that was meant to be used. For instance I had a question to prove that a cyclic group of order 14 is isomorphic with Z mod 14. This is true under addition but not under multiplication so should i presume that Z14 with unspecified operator is addition?

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, chinye11! :smile:

Z/14Z is not a group under multiplication.
(Why not?)

So it has to be addition.
As a bonus it is isomorphic to C14 (also written as Z14).

Z/14 is not a group under multiplication because not every element has an inverse, my bad didn't check it.

chinye11 said:
Z/14 is not a group under multiplication because not every element has an inverse, my bad didn't check it.

Yep!

The group Z mod 14 with multiplication is denoted as (Z/14Z)x or as (Z/14Z)*.
That is, the same set, but with all elements that do not have an inverse removed.

Related to Conventional Operators in Group Theory Homework

1. What is a group in group theory convention?

A group in group theory convention is a mathematical concept that represents a collection of elements and operations that follow certain rules and properties. These elements can be anything from numbers to geometric figures, and the operations can include addition, multiplication, and composition. Groups are used to study symmetry, patterns, and relationships between objects.

2. What are the basic properties of a group?

The basic properties of a group are closure, associativity, identity, and inverse. Closure means that the result of any operation between two elements in the group is also an element in the group. Associativity means that the order of operations does not matter. Identity refers to the existence of an element that when combined with any other element gives back the same element. Inverse means that every element in the group has an element that when combined with it gives the identity element.

3. What is the difference between a group and a subgroup?

A subgroup is a smaller group that is contained within a larger group. It follows all the same rules and properties as the larger group, but may have a different set of elements. For example, a group of even numbers is a subgroup of the group of all integers. A subgroup is also a group in itself, just with a smaller set of elements.

4. How is group theory convention used in science?

Group theory convention is used in various fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and biology. It is used to study the symmetries and patterns in the physical world, from the arrangement of atoms in molecules to the behavior of subatomic particles. It also has applications in computer science, cryptography, and coding theory.

5. What is the significance of the order of a group?

The order of a group refers to the number of elements in the group. It is a fundamental property of a group and determines the complexity of its structure. The order of a group can give insights into its properties, such as its subgroups and symmetries. It also helps in solving problems related to the group, such as finding the number of possible arrangements or combinations.