Group Theory: Is the following a valid Group?

In summary: So ##\diamond## satisfies the four axioms of a group. Therefore, ##(\mathbb R,\diamond)## is a group.That's great, thanks both of you! :)
sa1988

Homework Statement

Is the following a valid group?

The values contained in the set of all real numbers ℝ, under an operation ◊ such that x◊y = x+y-1

Homework Equations

Axioms of group theory:
Closure
Associativity
There must exist one identity element 'e' such that ex=x for all x
There exists an inverse 'y' for every element such that xy = yx = e

The Attempt at a Solution

Testing of each axiom:

Closure: All x◊y will give a value existing in ℝ. Closure holds.

Associativity: Test: x◊y◊z
= x◊(y◊z) = x◊(y+z-1) = x+y+z-2
= (x◊y)◊z = (x+y-1)◊z = x+y+z-2
Associativity holds.

Identity: e◊x = x
Group definition says e◊x = e+x-1.
Hence, e◊x = e+x-1 = x
This is true for all x when e = 1
There is an identity

Inverses: x◊y = y◊x = e = 1
Meaning, x+y-1 = y+x-1
x,y∈ℝ so the additive property defined by operation ◊ means that all elements will be able to have an inverse in ℝ such that x◊y=e
Inverses exist

Final answer, YES THIS IS A GROUP.

So, that's my attempt at an answer. However I don't know if I've really gone about it the right way, or even if I'm correct. Thoughts?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
sa1988 said:

Homework Statement

Is the following a valid group?

The values contained in the set of all real numbers ℝ, under an operation ◊ such that x◊y = x+y-1

Homework Equations

Axioms of group theory:
Closure
Associativity
There must exist one identity element 'e' such that ex=x for all x
There exists an inverse 'y' for every element such that xy = yx = e

The Attempt at a Solution

Testing of each axiom:

Closure: All x◊y will give a value existing in ℝ. Closure holds.

Associativity: Test: x◊y◊z
= x◊(y◊z) = x◊(y+z-1) = x+y+z-2
= (x◊y)◊z = (x+y-1)◊z = x+y+z-2
Associativity holds.

Identity: e◊x = x
Group definition says e◊x = e+x-1.
Hence, e◊x = e+x-1 = x
This is true for all x when e = 1
There is an identity

Inverses: x◊y = y◊x = e = 1
Meaning, x+y-1 = y+x-1
x,y∈ℝ so the additive property defined by operation ◊ means that all elements will be able to have an inverse in ℝ such that x◊y=e
Inverses exist

Final answer, YES THIS IS A GROUP.

So, that's my attempt at an answer. However I don't know if I've really gone about it the right way, or even if I'm correct. Thoughts?

Thanks.
I don't see anything wrong with what you did, although I have to admit it's been many years since I did this stuff.

Well, that's a positive enough response for now! Thanks :)

The part about inverses can be improved a bit. You didn't make it clear how you know that each x has an inverse. The best way is to find a formula for the inverse of an arbitrary x.

Likes sa1988
Thanks, I've gone over it and written:

x◊y = x+y-1 = e = y+x-1 = y◊x
Meaning
y = e+1-x
which is true and different for all x because it only uses addition to create the inverse

Didn't you just show that e= 1? So you are saying that if y= 1+ 1- x= (1+ 1)- x= 2- x then x◊ y= x+ y- 1= x+ (2- x)- 1= 1.

HallsofIvy said:
Didn't you just show that e= 1? So you are saying that if y= 1+ 1- x= (1+ 1)- x= 2- x then x◊ y= x+ y- 1= x+ (2- x)- 1= 1.

I wasn't sure if I was 'allowed' to do a proof with e=1, or if I was supposed to keep it as 'e' so it's more general.

As I'm primarily a physics student, I haven't really done much on proofs before.

If the 'e=1' method is fine then I'll certainly use it! :biggrin:

You can and should use it. The equality ##e=1## means that the symbols ##e## and ##1## represent the same element of the set. If they represent the same element, then the expression ##e+1-x## must represent the same element as the expression ##2-x##. In other words, since ##e=1##, we have ##e+1-x=2-x##.

Since you have completed the solution, I'll show you mine. It's essentially the same as yours.

For all ##x,y,z\in\mathbb R##, we have
$$(x\diamond y)\diamond z= (x+y-1)+z-1= x+(y+z-1)-1=x\diamond(y\diamond z).$$ So ##\diamond## is associative. For all ##x\in\mathbb R##, we have
$$x\diamond 1=x+1-1=x$$ and
$$1\diamond x=1+x-1=x.$$ So ##1## is an identity of ##\diamond##. Let ##x\in\mathbb R##. We have
$$x\diamond (2-x)=x+(2-x)-1=1$$ and
$$(2-x)\diamond x=(2-x)+x-1=1.$$ Since ##1## is an identity of ##\diamond##, this means that ##2-x## is an inverse of ##x##. Since ##x## is an arbitrary element of ##\mathbb R##, this means that every element of ##\mathbb R## has an inverse.

Related to Group Theory: Is the following a valid Group?

1. What is Group Theory?

Group Theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of symmetry and the properties of mathematical objects that are symmetrical in nature. In simpler terms, it is the study of how certain structures or systems behave in a symmetrical manner.

2. What are the main components of a Group?

The main components of a Group are a set of elements, a binary operation, and four major properties: closure, associativity, identity, and inverses. The set of elements can be anything from numbers to functions, and the binary operation is a mathematical operation that combines two elements to produce a third one. The four properties ensure that the Group follows certain rules and behaves in a consistent manner.

3. What makes a Group valid?

A Group is considered valid if it satisfies the four properties mentioned before: closure, associativity, identity, and inverses. This means that the Group must contain a set of elements that can be combined using a binary operation, and the result of the operation must also be an element of the Group. The operation must also be associative, meaning that the order in which the elements are combined does not matter. The Group must also have an identity element, which when combined with any other element, returns the same element. Lastly, every element in the Group must have an inverse, meaning that there exists another element in the Group that, when combined with the element, produces the identity element.

4. How do you determine if a given set and operation form a valid Group?

To determine if a given set and operation form a valid Group, you must check if the four properties of closure, associativity, identity, and inverses are satisfied. This can be done by examining all possible combinations of elements and performing the operation on them. If all combinations result in another element in the set, the Group satisfies the closure property. To check for associativity, you can use the associative property of numbers and see if it holds for the given operation. The identity element must be present in the set, and each element must have an inverse that also exists in the set.

5. Is the following a valid Group?

This is a common question when given a specific set and operation. To determine if it is a valid Group, you must follow the steps mentioned in the previous question. Check if all the properties are satisfied, and if they are, then the given set and operation form a valid Group. If not, then it is not a valid Group.