Control Engineer in a Power Company?

In summary: Controls engineering isn't my field, but I'm not sure it needs to be in this case. Can you direct these questions to your employer? Someone willing to pay for your education probably has some ideas about this.
airer
I am a first year student in MSc Automation and Control Engineering in Politecnico di Milano. I was working as a Power Protection Engineer before my company decided to send me to do my Masters in the above mentioned degree. The management thought it necessary to at least have someone specialized in Control Systems and that someone happens to be me.
About the Company: it is the National company of my country responsible for Generating, Transmitting and Distributing Power. Neither the Generation System, The Dispatch Center, nor the Transmission and Distribution System is automated.
My questions now are, How would I be useful to this company? What will be my routine job after graduating? Which area of Control Systems would be useful?

Physics news on Phys.org
Controls engineering isn't my field, but I'm not sure it needs to be in this case. Can you direct these questions to your employer? Someone willing to pay for your education probably has some ideas about this.

Thank you Ben. Yes, I asked them but all they say is "at least a control engineer is needed in the company, lot of projects are on the way concerning automating the grid and bla bla". No thorough insight!

airer said:
... Neither the Generation System, The Dispatch Center, nor the Transmission and Distribution System is automated.

Sorry, but I don't believe you are correct here. What happens when someone turns on a big motor in a factory? Or even switching on a light?

To clarify, the automation devices in place are antiquated. We still go with pick-ups for load shedding. The frequency relays and other important devices are mostly bypassed.
Ok, for the factories switching big motors, we don't have big factories. The ones we have a very small ones like Drinks, Soaps, ... factories which can't cause any major effect.

airer said:
Thank you Ben. Yes, I asked them but all they say is "at least a control engineer is needed in the company, lot of projects are on the way concerning automating the grid and bla bla". No thorough insight!
You have your work cut out for you then. Hopefully someone will come along who knows this area.

Related to Control Engineer in a Power Company?

1. What is a control engineer in a power company?

A control engineer in a power company is responsible for designing, implementing, and maintaining control systems for power generation and distribution processes. This includes programming and optimizing control algorithms, troubleshooting and resolving system issues, and ensuring efficient and safe operation of power systems.

2. What skills are required for a control engineer in a power company?

A control engineer in a power company should have a strong background in electrical engineering and control systems. They should also have knowledge of programming languages and software tools commonly used in power systems, as well as experience with power system analysis and design. Strong problem-solving and communication skills are also important for this role.

3. How does a control engineer contribute to a power company's operations?

A control engineer plays a crucial role in ensuring the efficient and reliable operation of power systems. They design and implement control systems that monitor and regulate various processes, such as power generation, transmission, and distribution. This helps to optimize system performance, minimize downtime, and prevent potential hazards.

4. What are the challenges faced by control engineers in a power company?

Control engineers in a power company face various challenges, such as dealing with complex and constantly evolving power systems, ensuring system stability and reliability, and keeping up with advancements in technology. They also have to work within strict safety regulations and deal with unexpected system failures or emergencies.

5. What are the latest developments in control engineering for power companies?

Some of the latest developments in control engineering for power companies include the use of advanced control algorithms and machine learning techniques to optimize system performance and improve energy efficiency. There is also a growing focus on incorporating renewable energy sources and smart grid technologies into power systems, which requires control engineers to constantly adapt and innovate their approaches.