Continuous Compound Interest with changing capital

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a formula for continuous compound interest with periodic additions or subtractions of money. The formula is derived and expressed using summation and geometric series. It is also noted that this formula can be applied to other scenarios such as population growth. Some discrepancies and suggestions for further study are also mentioned.
cango91
Is there any equation/formula for continuous compound interest to which money is added (or substracted from) periodically? Or can one be derived?

Thanks

i.e. monthly interest rate is 50% and we add 1$ every month (:bugeye:)
Initially: 1$
1st Month: 1.6 + 1 = 2.6$
2nd month: 4.3 + 1 =5.28

Physics news on Phys.org
How are you getting your 4.3?

from P*e^(rt)
P for the second month is 2.6, r=0.5 t=1

OK, so write out the first few payments using that formula.

Initially: P
1st Month: Pe^r + k
2nd month: (Pe^r + k)e^r + k
3rd month: ((Pe^r + k)e^r + k)e^r +k
4th month: (((Pe^r + k)e^r + k)e^r +k)e^r + k
So?

Hmm I think I figured something out:

The total amount of money at month m is:

Pfinal=P0emr+((from t=0 to m-1)[tex]\Sigma[/tex])ket)+k

Can you please check if this statement is true

Last edited:
Well distributing would be my first thought to get

[tex]1st = Pe^r + k[/tex]
[tex]2nd = Pe^{2r} + ke^{r} + k[/tex]
[tex]3rd = Pe^{3r} + ke^{2r} + ke^{r} + k = Pe^{3r} + k(e^{2r} + e^{r} + 1)[/tex]
[tex]4th = Pe^{4r} + ke^{3r} + ke^{2r} + ke^{r} + k = Pe^{4r} + k(e^{3r} + e^{2r} + e^{r} + 1)[/tex]

So the first term for n-th month is [tex]Pe^{nr}[/tex], then you have [tex]k\sum_{i=0}^{n-1}e^{ir} [/tex], which looks a lot like a geometric series...

cango91 said:
Hmm I think I figured something out:

The total amount of money at month m is:

Pfinal=P0emr+((from t=0 to m-1)[tex]\Sigma[/tex])ket)+k

Can you please check if this statement is true

Your sum should go from 1 not 0 I think.

You're right about the summation. I must have added the +k at the end by mistake. So is this a mathematically correct approach? Thank you very much by the way...

cango91 said:
You're right about the summation. I must have added the +k at the end by mistake. So is this a mathematically correct approach? Thank you very much by the way...

I don't see why it wouldn't be a correct mathematical approach... I didn't check your work so I'm hoping you expressed each month correctly, I just tried to show you how to rewrite it using sums. You should be able to rewrite that sum since it converges (look up geometric sums).

Thank you very much for your help.
If I'm not mistaken the expression becomes:

[tex]P_{f}=P_{0} e^{kt}+ \frac{a(1-e^{kt})}{1-e^{k}}[/tex]

where [tex]P_{f}[/tex] denotes future value of the money, [tex]P_{0}[/tex] denotes the initial amount of the money, r denotes the annual percent interest and t denotes the total number of years and a is the amount added (or subtracted) each year.

The statement might still be faulty, comments and critics are welcome and encouraged.

I think the only comment I would make is that you initially said your interest rate is monthly and now you are saying it's annual.

I tried to generalize it. It can be any period.

Also this expression can be used for population growth where a certain amaunt of individuals die periodically (i.e. anti-viral in virus growth) or where there is periodical immigration.

Correct it can be any period. If you are really interested in all the subtle differences and how all these formulas are derived you should check out Theory of Interest by Kellison. It's a book used by actuaries to prepare for one of their exams so the notation used might take a little while to get used to. But yes similar process applies to things of this nature, you will see it pop up in intro diff. eq. quite a bit.

Related to Continuous Compound Interest with changing capital

1. What is Continuous Compound Interest with changing capital?

Continuous Compound Interest with changing capital is a method of calculating interest on a loan or investment where the interest is continuously added to the principal amount, resulting in a higher return compared to simple interest. It takes into account any changes in the original investment amount.

2. How is Continuous Compound Interest with changing capital different from other interest calculations?

The key difference between Continuous Compound Interest with changing capital and other interest calculations, such as simple or compound interest, is that it takes into account the changes in the principal amount over time. This means that the amount of interest earned will also change as the principal amount changes.

3. What is the formula for calculating Continuous Compound Interest with changing capital?

The formula for calculating Continuous Compound Interest with changing capital is A = Pe^(rt), where A is the final amount, P is the initial principal, e is the mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.71828, r is the interest rate, and t is the time period.

4. What are the advantages of using Continuous Compound Interest with changing capital?

One advantage of using Continuous Compound Interest with changing capital is that it provides a more accurate calculation of interest compared to other methods. It also takes into account any changes in the principal amount, which can result in a higher return on investment. Additionally, it is used in many real-life financial scenarios, such as loans and investments, making it a practical and relevant method.

5. Are there any limitations to using Continuous Compound Interest with changing capital?

One limitation of using Continuous Compound Interest with changing capital is that it assumes a continuous and steady change in the principal amount, which may not always be the case in real-life scenarios. It also does not take into account any external factors that may affect the investment, such as inflation or market fluctuations. Additionally, the use of this method may require more complex calculations compared to other interest methods.