Conte Riccati and Jakob Hermann

In summary, Riccati sets y/x=q and then arrives at x^2*dq. His formula is just given by multiplying dq = (x dy - y dx)/x2 by q2.
Poetria

Homework Statement

Riccati sets y/x=q and then arrives at x^2*dq. This is his analysis of Jacob Hermann's differential equations criticised by Johannes Bernoulli (published in 1710).

x*dy-y*dx is a constant and is equivalent to dt.

I have understood everything except for the q-substitution.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I have tried several times but all my solutions are not correct. E.g. x*dx*(dq-q). I have no idea how he got this square. I am missing some clues.

Attachments

• Riccati, about Hermann (Opere III).png
    Riccati, about Hermann (Opere III).png
    25.5 KB · Views: 460
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you would find a more recent textbook easier to work from. :oldsmile: Ideal is roughly 1900-1970, after that they get more difficult again.

If I have understood right your missing thing is the standard formula for derivative of a quotient, one of the half-dozen practically learned off by heart by most calculus students, see any calculus textbook:

y/x = q

dq = d(y/x) = (x dy - y dx)/x2

His formula Is just given by multiplying dq = (x dy - y dx)/x2 by q2

Likes Poetria
epenguin said:
Perhaps you would find a more recent textbook easier to work from. :oldsmile: Ideal is roughly 1900-1970, after that they get more difficult again.

If I have understood right your missing thing is the standard formula for derivative of a quotient, one of the half-dozen practically learned off by heart by most calculus students, see any calculus textbook:

y/x = q

dq = d(y/x) = (x dy - y dx)/x2

His formula Is just given by multiplying dq = (x dy - y dx)/x2 by q2

Oh dear. What an idiot I am! Many thanks. :)

Oh, I think when you have not done it for a year or two it fades. In fact, I am often not that sure whether to write x dy minus... or y dx minus... and have to stop and think about it.

I was intrigued by your avatar, guessed who she was though I did not remember the name amongst all the Madame de's offhand, and traced her via Voltaire.
I knew of Emilie du Chatelet's important translation of Newton, but I don't think I had known of her as the first to formulate of the law of conservation of energy.
You are doing some interesting studies. :oldsmile:

Last edited:

Related to Conte Riccati and Jakob Hermann

1. Who were Conte Riccati and Jakob Hermann?

Conte Riccati and Jakob Hermann were two prominent mathematicians who lived during the 18th century. Conte Riccati was an Italian nobleman and mathematician, known for his contributions to calculus and differential equations. Jakob Hermann was a German mathematician and physicist, who made significant contributions to the field of mechanics and geometry.

2. What is the relationship between Conte Riccati and Jakob Hermann?

Conte Riccati and Jakob Hermann were colleagues and corresponded with each other on various mathematical topics. They also collaborated on a number of projects, including a paper on the theory of curves.

3. What were some of Conte Riccati and Jakob Hermann's major contributions to mathematics?

Conte Riccati is known for his work on the Riccati equation, which is a type of differential equation used to model physical phenomena. He also made significant contributions to the development of calculus and the study of curves. Jakob Hermann is known for his work on mechanics and geometry, including his formulation of the principle of least action and his contributions to the study of conic sections.

4. How did Conte Riccati and Jakob Hermann's work impact mathematics today?

The work of Conte Riccati and Jakob Hermann laid the foundation for many important mathematical concepts and theories that are still used today. Their contributions to calculus, differential equations, and geometry continue to be studied and applied in various fields of mathematics and science.

5. What is the significance of the collaboration between Conte Riccati and Jakob Hermann?

The collaboration between Conte Riccati and Jakob Hermann demonstrates the importance of collaboration and communication in the advancement of knowledge. Their combined efforts and exchange of ideas led to significant developments in mathematics, and their work continues to be studied and built upon by future generations of mathematicians.