Constructing a Normal Series for G from Given Normal Series for N and G/N

• Thread starter Chaos2009
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the conversation discusses constructing a normal series U for a group G, given normal series S for N and T for G/N. The concept of isomorphic normal series is also explained, where two normal series are considered isomorphic if there exists a bijection between their factors that are isomorphic. This concept is used to construct an equivalent normal series using S and T. This conversation is from an undergraduate Abstract Algebra course and is related to the proof of the Jordan-Holder theorem.
Chaos2009

Homework Statement

Suppose that [itex]N \triangleleft G[/itex]. Show that given normal series [itex]S[/itex] for [itex]N[/itex] and [itex]T[/itex] for [itex]G / N[/itex] one can construct a normal series [itex]U[/itex] for [itex]G[/itex] such that the first part of [itex]U[/itex] is isomorphic to [itex]S[/itex] and the rest is isomorphic to [itex]T[/itex].

Homework Equations

This is from the last couple of weeks of an undergraduate Abstract Algebra course. The teacher assigned it as homework while discussing a proof of the Jordan-Holder theorem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'd like to simply construct [itex]U[/itex] from [itex]S[/itex] and [itex]T[/itex]. Using [itex]S[/itex] would be straightforward as this is already a normal series from [itex]\left\{ e \right\}[/itex] to [itex]N[/itex]. However, I'd hoped to use correspondence theorem to map the normal series [itex]T[/itex] to a normal series from [itex]N[/itex] to [itex]G[/itex]. I believe, however that there is a problem with the part where it says this part of the series should be isomorphic to [itex]T[/itex].

Physics news on Phys.org
What does it mean to say that two normal series are isomorphic?

I guess that was the part I was confused about as well. My roommate now informs me that we defined two normal series to be isomorphic as follows:

Series [itex]S[/itex] and [itex]T[/itex] are isomorphic if there exists a bijection from the factors of [itex]S[/itex] to the factors of [itex]T[/itex] such that the corresponding factors are isomorphic.

So, that makes a bit more sense to me now.

Typically that's referred to as "equivalence", but anyway, your idea does work, i.e. it will produce an equivalent normal series.

Related to Constructing a Normal Series for G from Given Normal Series for N and G/N

1. What is the Jordan-Holder theorem?

The Jordan-Holder theorem is a result in group theory that states that every finite group has a unique composition series, up to isomorphism. This means that any two composition series of a finite group have the same length and the same composition factors, even though the order of the factors may differ.

2. How is the Jordan-Holder theorem useful in group theory?

The Jordan-Holder theorem is useful in group theory because it allows us to analyze the structure of a finite group by breaking it down into simpler groups. This can help us understand the properties of a group and make connections between different groups.

3. How is the Jordan-Holder theorem proved?

The Jordan-Holder theorem is typically proved using the concept of subnormal series and the fact that every finite group has a maximal subnormal series. By showing that any two maximal subnormal series of a group have the same composition factors, the uniqueness of the composition series is established.

4. What are the main applications of the Jordan-Holder theorem?

The Jordan-Holder theorem has many applications in group theory, such as in the classification of finite simple groups and the study of group extensions. It also has applications in other areas of mathematics, such as in Galois theory and algebraic geometry.

5. Are there any generalizations of the Jordan-Holder theorem?

Yes, there are several generalizations of the Jordan-Holder theorem, including the Krull-Schmidt theorem and the Fitting decomposition theorem. These theorems extend the concept of composition series to other algebraic structures, such as modules and algebras.