Constructing a differential equation from the solution

In summary, a differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. To construct a differential equation from a given solution, the solution function must be differentiated and substituted into the original equation. The steps involved in this process are differentiating the solution function, substituting the derivatives, and solving for any remaining variables. However, not all solutions can be used to construct a differential equation as the solution must be a differentiable function. This technique has various applications in science and engineering, such as predicting population growth, analyzing movement, and understanding chemical reactions.
Baumer8993

Homework Statement

y = c1e3x+c2xe3x+c3e2xsin(x)+c4e2xcos(x)

Homework Equations

Differential Equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the roots of k=3, k=3, k=2+i, k=2-i.
Now I am just stuck on how to put the roots together to get the original equation. I am just stuck on the complex number part.

Physics news on Phys.org
What equation is it which has the roots 3, 3, 2+i and 2-i? How do you get such equation from the differential equation? How the powers of k and the degree of the derivatives are related?

ehild

Related to Constructing a differential equation from the solution

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model a wide range of phenomena in science and engineering.

2. How do you construct a differential equation from a given solution?

To construct a differential equation from a solution, you need to determine the derivatives of the solution function and then substitute them into the original equation. This will give you a new equation with the solution as the solution function.

3. What are the steps involved in constructing a differential equation from a solution?

The steps involved in constructing a differential equation from a solution are:
1. Differentiate the solution function to find its derivatives.
2. Substitute the derivatives into the original equation.
3. Solve for any remaining variables to obtain the final differential equation.

4. Can any solution be used to construct a differential equation?

No, not all solutions can be used to construct a differential equation. The solution must be a differentiable function, meaning that it must have at least one continuous derivative.

5. What are some applications of constructing differential equations from solutions?

Constructing differential equations from solutions is used in various fields of science and engineering to model and solve real-world problems. Some examples include predicting population growth, analyzing the movement of objects, and understanding chemical reactions.